Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 195333 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #3050 on: May 24, 2024, 10:22:02 AM »
I have a coworker who I really like that has a really gravelly voice in zoom meetings and it drives me crazy. I can't tell if it's a meeting voice or he talks like that all the time but sheesh.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: May 24, 2024, 03:23:11 PM »
calling concrete "cement" is just wrong, there is no debate. The only reason you would call it that is that's what some old dumbass called it who learned it from some other even older dumbass and then passed it on to you.
And then also they pronounce it SEE-ment just to sprinkle a little layer of gross on top of being wrong

This exact discussion was recently had on the Phog in the David Booth Erection Thread.

And I must confess, I too will take one spit into the urinal or terlit, and I too have no idea why. Just an ideal spitting opportunity?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: May 24, 2024, 07:57:00 PM »
calling concrete "cement" is just wrong, there is no debate. The only reason you would call it that is that's what some old dumbass called it who learned it from some other even older dumbass and then passed it on to you.
And then also they pronounce it SEE-ment just to sprinkle a little layer of gross on top of being wrong

This exact discussion was recently had on the Phog in the David Booth Erection Thread.

And I must confess, I too will take one spit into the urinal or terlit, and I too have no idea why. Just an ideal spitting opportunity?

Is it mayhaps a "priming the pump" type thing? Like oh this urinal is dry how am I supposed to pee? Best to get the wetness party started so I can start peeing? Kind of a stretch but I find it fascinating and would be very interested as to the psychology behind it

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: May 24, 2024, 08:08:23 PM »
Speaking of calling stuff by the wrong name, it's kind of a gift and a curse being a plumbing fixture insider (PFI) Like you're talking about the place you wash your hands in the bathroom and they call it a sink and it's like "not a sink m8 that's a lavatory"

"Lavatory? You mean the toilet?"
Not a toilet that's a water closet

Definitely not a peeve bc you can't expect John Everyman to be a PFI like you but man, when you know you know

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: May 25, 2024, 07:19:20 PM »
None of that bothers me nearly as much as when they pronounce masonry as masonary.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Pet Peeves
« Reply #3055 on: May 25, 2024, 08:03:04 PM »
doggo
scritches

both have me peevin hard, bros

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: May 25, 2024, 08:56:05 PM »
Miserable existence pissclams lives
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: May 25, 2024, 09:34:33 PM »
Millennials (of which I’m one) are so horrifically cringe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: May 25, 2024, 09:55:19 PM »
doggo
scritches

First time hearing of scritches

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: May 25, 2024, 11:21:16 PM »
doggo
scritches

thought of another one- danger noodle

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: May 25, 2024, 11:50:56 PM »
Kansas city's weak trees
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: May 26, 2024, 08:52:16 PM »
Families/groups walking 4-6 wide at the speed of sloth at the Omaha zoo.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: May 26, 2024, 11:15:01 PM »
Millennials (of which I’m one) are so horrifically cringe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda wild that there are millennials who are also quadragenarians.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: May 28, 2024, 09:27:42 AM »
“that’s it, that’s the tweet”

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 28, 2024, 03:49:28 PM »
“that’s it, that’s the tweet”

A great reminder of why I am so glad I gave up twitter.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: May 28, 2024, 04:14:11 PM »
I may have said this one before but  :dunno: Work people that set up meetings for simple questions. I feel like zoom has conditioned people to think a full meeting with 8 people is necessary for every conversation. I go to meetings all the time that could have been done over a teams message or a quick call. I had a guy call me this morning 20 minutes before a meeting and he tried to tell me that they needed to move the meeting because so and so couldn't make it. I said, "what did you need"? He just paused and there was awkward silence. I then said, "like, we are talking right now and i'm happy to just answer any questions you have, or we could just wait until another day when more people are around". More awkward silence and he finally goes, yeah, we can just do it now.......Took like 3 minutes.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 28, 2024, 04:33:01 PM »
I may have said this one before but  :dunno: Work people that set up meetings for simple questions. I feel like zoom has conditioned people to think a full meeting with 8 people is necessary for every conversation. I go to meetings all the time that could have been done over a teams message or a quick call. I had a guy call me this morning 20 minutes before a meeting and he tried to tell me that they needed to move the meeting because so and so couldn't make it. I said, "what did you need"? He just paused and there was awkward silence. I then said, "like, we are talking right now and i'm happy to just answer any questions you have, or we could just wait until another day when more people are around". More awkward silence and he finally goes, yeah, we can just do it now.......Took like 3 minutes.

I've come to the general conclusion that if there's more than 4 people in a meeting, there's someone that doesn't need to be there.

I deal with a company culture where everyone wants to be "in the loop" but not actually do any work. My work is also bad about reading emails and it sounds cliche but there are a lot of meetings with 20 people basically being read emails over zoom. Infuriates me

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: May 28, 2024, 04:34:39 PM »

This is more of a peeve, because everyone feels this way.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: May 28, 2024, 04:35:40 PM »
@ahammALDC

the absolute most annoying twitter follow i've ever experienced

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: May 28, 2024, 04:57:35 PM »

This is more of a peeve, because everyone feels this way.

I'm not sure that is true according to my calendar that is full of these types of meetings. I normally just go with it, but since the guy called me I figured I would subtly call him out. I chuckled a bit when I said that maybe we should just go ahead and talk now since we were already talking. I also think a lot of it has to do with people just being afraid to do or say anything without their manager's approval. I'm always meeting with different groups of people. Most of them are unnecessary and I could usually just talk to one person and they could pass things along as needed, but whatever. Each person in those groups almost always invites their manager and in some cases their next level, which leads to about 4 other people that have no business on the call, yet they are always there.