Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 437213 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #1575 on: October 16, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »
Ptolemy please learn the quote function

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: October 16, 2015, 09:15:05 AM »
ptomely

there are many more carbon compounds that are greenhouse gasses than carbon dioxide

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: October 16, 2015, 09:15:42 AM »
I really love it when we ignore the other greenhouse gases (like methane) that are far more harmful in retaining heat. 

Pretty much every metric (including temp as much as you guys don't want to admit it) shows a massive spike correlating to human influence.

CH4

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #1578 on: October 16, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »
I love how this particular debate generally breaks down...

Side 1: There is overwhelming scientific evidence that shows humans are impacting global warming

Side 2: Well, it's because of Cargill paying everyone off so they can sell corn for ethanol

I mean, really, how can you not believe #2 is the more realistic option?

Also, that kid's degree needs to be rescinded for being such a dumbass.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: October 16, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
obviously humans are influencing the climate and that's probably a bad thing.  but is it crazy to think that it's also a little rad?  like, wow in your face, weather.  humans are so far ahead of every other species it's not even funny.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: October 16, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
I love how this particular debate generally breaks down...

Side 1: There is overwhelming scientific evidence that shows humans are impacting global warming

Side 2: Well, it's because of Cargill paying everyone off so they can sell corn for ethanol
I mean, really, how can you not believe #2 is the more realistic option?

Also, that kid's degree needs to be rescinded for being such a dumbass.

If you're referring to my post, that's quite the strawman argument.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: October 16, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
How do you get from 3% to "doubling?" You might as well ask about tripling or quadrupling. Maybe this is why the warmers are so fixated on the "97%" mantra. Numbers just aren't their thing.

Amen! BTW, the 97% figure that they often refer to is actually based on 75 out of 77 papers. The actual response to the "study" was more than 10,000 papers but the author of the "study" excluded all but 77 of the papers. Talk about crafting a result!

A sample size of 97, population of 10,000, with 97% supporting global warming, gives a confidence interval of 4.45 with a confidence level of 99%. So your best case scenario is that the number of scientists supporting global warming is really only 93%.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: October 16, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
A sample size of 97, population of 10,000, with 97% supporting global warming, gives a confidence interval of 4.45 with a confidence level of 99%. So your best case scenario is that the number of scientists supporting global warming is really only 93%.

Sample size is 10,000.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: October 16, 2015, 09:31:36 AM »

Sample size is 10,000.

No, it was actually 77. That gives a confidence interval of 5.0. So we are down to 92% being the lowest possibility.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: October 16, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »

Sample size is 10,000.

No, it was actually 77. That gives a confidence interval of 5.0. So we are down to 92% being the lowest possibility.

see your models constantly need adjusting, it's obvious to anyone in academia you don't know what you're doing and your entire theory is bunk.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: October 16, 2015, 09:38:48 AM »

Sample size is 10,000.

see your models constantly need adjusting, it's obvious to anyone in academia you don't know what you're doing and your entire theory is bunk.

Yeah, I know. I pulled the wrong damn number from the post the first time I ran the calculation and now I have no credibility. :frown:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: October 23, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »
Strongest hurricane ever about to slam into Mexico, but this is not related to anything at all.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: October 23, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »
Fantastic that modern technology is now able to fully record events such as this that have happened numerous times over the course of Earth's history.   Hopefully this technology can help mankind in many, many ways.

"Strongest Hurricane Ever . . . recorded by modern technology"

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: October 23, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »
Fantastic that modern technology is now able to fully record events such as this that have happened numerous times over the course of Earth's history.   Hopefully this technology can help mankind in many, many ways.

oh man, just wait till tax learns that we've had barometers since 1643...now if only we had a device for measuring wind speed....

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: October 23, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »

oh man, just wait till tax learns that we've had barometers since 1643...now if only we had a device for measuring wind speed....

What a bunch of brave souls those Hurricane Hunters were in 1643 flying through Cat. 5  in flying machines not even invented yet, and their network of Ocean sensing buoys while a bit rudimentary rivaled anything found 400 years later.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: October 23, 2015, 10:52:22 AM »

What a bunch of brave souls those Hurricane Hunters were in 1643 flying through Cat. 5  in flying machines not even invented yet, and their network of Ocean sensing buoys while a bit rudimentary rivaled anything found 400 years later.

:lol: :lol: still doesn't get it

hurricanes, so isolated, much localized

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 23, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
Oh man, really?   :lol:

What's it like to be such a puppet/parrot for an agenda?   

The technology to read the pressure, wind speeds in various parts of hurricanes with the accuracy that they can today, didn't even exist 20 years ago.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 23, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »

The technology to read the pressure, wind speeds in various parts of hurricanes with the accuracy that they can today, didn't even exist 20 years ago.

Dax I thought you said you lived in hurricane country?  Hint, we've known a lot about hurricanes for hundreds of years.  It's sad you refuse to use science. But keep on keepin' on with the agenda instead of real quantifiable proof.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 23, 2015, 11:07:21 AM »

Dax I thought you said you lived in hurricane country?  Hint, we've known a lot about hurricanes for hundreds of years.  It's sad you refuse to use science. But keep on keepin' on with the agenda instead of real quantifiable proof.

I'm not at all questioning the science parrot boy, I'm actually extolling the science, and I know the science needed to make such bold statements as "Strongest Hurricane Ever"  didn't exist even 20 years.   They're measuring specific parts of the storm and making those calls, the ability to isolate and measure specific parts of Hurricanes like they do today has only been available in the last twenty years at best.  The entire hurricane is not the "Strongest Hurricane Ever", only a part of the hurricane is the strongest hurricane ever . . . recorded.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 23, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »
Strongest hurricane ever about to slam into Mexico, but this is not related to anything at all.

:lol: :facepalm:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 23, 2015, 11:52:33 AM »
Media  :confused:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 23, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »
Relax it's Mexico

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: October 23, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »

humans call it el nino. Nature's cycle of life.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: October 23, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »
God likes Trump?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 23, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »

humans call it el nino. Nature's cycle of life.

That's Spanish for the nino, right?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.