Author Topic: Making a website  (Read 4320 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Making a website
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
The cool kids all use node.js.

http://expressjs.com/ gives you a framework to start. CouchDB for NoSQL on the back end or PostgreSQL if you want SQL.

And nginx instead of Apache on the front.

took the words and other stuff right out of my mouth

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
Copy what someone else has done and change it just enough to NOT GET SUED HAHAHAHA
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
it's incredibly pud. just tell saul and chings what you want and then yell at them everytime they do it not exactly how you want until it's how you want.

:lol:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »
You don't need to learn to code to have a website, just get a cheap hosting account and use a wordpress theme.  Tons of free themes using php/mysql.  You could even get a free wordpress blog and get the theme you need if you don't care about the url name.

This is what i was driving at, if wordpress lets you hook into some php/mysql (though tomcat>php, imo) then by all means use that... will wordpress host your DB for you or do you need to host off server?  Does it have some abstraction so that you're only exposing server to server communications for security reasons between webserver and DB?

If there is an easy way to hook into a MySQL DB, then I'm all for that. I just didn't see anything when I looked the first time.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stepbystep-mysql-tutorial-selfhosted-wordpress-bloggers/

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
The cool kids all use node.js.

http://expressjs.com/ gives you a framework to start. CouchDB for NoSQL on the back end or PostgreSQL if you want SQL.

And nginx instead of Apache on the front.

took the words and other stuff right out of my mouth

And my mouth.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
I have a page on blogspot.com that I use as a faux news outlet covering my fantasy baseball/football league's. I do power rankings/trade rumors/fake interviews, the bro's love it.

If you have gmail its pretty simple to set up.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
I have a page on blogspot.com that I use as a faux news outlet covering my fantasy baseball/football league's. I do power rankings/trade rumors/fake interviews, the bro's love it.

If you have gmail its pretty simple to set up.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 12:20:52 AM »
Say I have a program running. There's data on this program that I want to use. I want to take that data and have it put in some database program, and from there have it interact with other programs (not important now, crossing that bridge later). What do I need for a tool that scrapes that program (through images/continual screenshots of the program, or at least when I hit execute it takes a screenshot and scrapes), and what to use for some database? And would need to be instant. Low programming experience only used stuff like sikuli, ahk, nothing fancy like python

The Big Train

Making a website
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 12:26:55 AM »
Are you just wanting to take data from an existing database to another one or what?  This description doesn't make much sense tbh

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 01:07:28 AM »
Are you just wanting to take data from an existing database to another one or what?  This description doesn't make much sense tbh

Kind of, but it'd have to be some sort of custom ocr.

Here's an example:

Say I have this forex program, my scraper program, and a database program. I want the sell data (49) of eurusd into my database. I hit execute in scraper, and it screenshots the forex program. I have image files of every possible number, say 1-99, call this the custom ocr. The scraper takes the screenshot and compares the sell region with the custom ocr, and matches the region with one of the 99 images (which would be the image of 49). Because it matches with 49, have it throw "49" into the database program.

Actually I can already kind of so this with sikuli, a macro automation thing, but it is very slow...need this instant.

The Big Train

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2016, 01:13:05 AM »
Aside from the fact this is a true Windows XP program, you are gonna need to pay someone to upgrade this thing. 

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
I thought kstaters would be good at this stuff being good at engineering and all that :dunno:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Can't be raw data. That's just an example.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 12:39:22 AM »
Or is ksu being good at engineering like mechanical or something like that? Seems more prole than I thought :dunno: