Author Topic: What do you own that is worth killing for?  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What do you own that is worth killing for?
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »
One night you awaken to a noise in your living room. You grab the pistol from your nightstand and go to your living room. In your living room you find a man with your $95 blu-ray player under his arm You raise your gun and yell for him to not move.  The man makes a break for the door.  Do you shoot? Or do you let  him run away? I think in most cases it's perfectly legal to shoot him. But do you?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: What do you own that is worth killing for?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:41:35 AM »
over a million airline and hotel miles

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
i have renter's insurance

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
my The Judge. touch my judge and ye will be judged.

(this is why it's important to have two or more judges)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »
I think you should shoot him just on principle no matter what he's running off with, CFoD. Even if it's just one of your dvds. You have to let these punk kids know who's boss or the gangs will just get out of control on your street.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »
Technically, it would almost certainly not be "perfectly legal to shoot him." The law varies, obviously, from state to state, but generally speaking if you told the police: "The dude had my blu ray player under his arm and he was about to get away" you'd probably be mumped, whether he was in your home or not. In most cases, the "Castle Doctrine" only removes the "duty to retreat" and applies certain presumptions, but those presumptions can still be overcome. From a practical standpoint, as long as you told the police: "I woke up to a burglar in my home and I was scared for my life and I shot him" you'd almost certainly be in the clear, even if you shot him in the back. So could you get away with it? Probably. Would it be legal? Probably not.

Now, in answer to your question, assuming a hypothetical where I was sure he was trying to run away, I'd let him. Even though he's a cockroach who deserves to be capped, and even though I'd almost certainly get away with it, it's just not worth the risk and legal hassle.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »
I leave a window open near the sidewalk with a crisp hundy sitting on the ledge. my window overlooks a playground. I've probably blasted about a million kids in the last 3 months. probably all gang bangers.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »
If everyone that broke into a house was shot, eventually, there would be no more houses broken into. Think about that.

Think about that!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 08:58:53 AM »
Technically, it would almost certainly not be "perfectly legal to shoot him." The law varies, obviously, from state to state, but generally speaking if you told the police: "The dude had my blu ray player under his arm and he was about to get away" you'd probably be mumped, whether he was in your home or not. In most cases, the "Castle Doctrine" only removes the "duty to retreat" and applies certain presumptions, but those presumptions can still be overcome. From a practical standpoint, as long as you told the police: "I woke up to a burglar in my home and I was scared for my life and I shot him" you'd almost certainly be in the clear, even if you shot him in the back. So could you get away with it? Probably. Would it be legal? Probably not.

Now, in answer to your question, assuming a hypothetical where I was sure he was trying to run away, I'd let him. Even though he's a cockroach who deserves to be capped, and even though I'd almost certainly get away with it, it's just not worth the risk and legal hassle.

If you want to be a pansy about it, just shoot him in the ass or something. But don't let him go without taking a bullet. Why even own a gun if you are just going to let punk kids run away with your property so their gang can sell it for drugs?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »

Castle Doctrine does more than remove the "duty to retreat". See Joe Horn in Pasadena, TX.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
What do you own that is worth killing for?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »
If everyone that broke into a house was shot, eventually, there would be no more houses broken into. Think about that.

Think about that!

a true grassroots eugenics pioneer

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
I leave a window open near the sidewalk with a crisp hundy sitting on the ledge. my window overlooks a playground. I've probably blasted about a million kids in the last 3 months. probably all gang bangers.

I used to do that, but after blasting 2 kids, the rest of them started leaving the money alone, and I don't have the patience to wait any more. I've instead started finding kids out alone at night and chasing them. As soon as I catch them, if they are well behaved, I give them a lecture about being out at night. If they so much as push me, though, I blast them. I have the right to stand my ground.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
You do a hard 15 if you can't prove the dude had a weapon and posed a threat, or was fleeing.

As per my uncle who is a CCW instructor in Garden City.
:dance:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:12 AM »
You do a hard 15 if you can't prove the dude had a weapon and posed a threat, or was fleeing.

Everyone has a drop gun these days Unruly.  :rolleyes:

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »

Everyone has a drop gun these days Unruly.  :rolleyes:

Or at least a steak knife to put in the dudes hand.
:dance:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
my drone judges those who try to steal stuff from my house

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »
To answer the OP's question, really just sentimental stuff, things HOI couldn't replace.  I think that stuff is more important to me than some drug junkie's life. 

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »
My home when my family is in it.

I'm really not a huge gun person and under your scenario i wouldn't shoot because it's clear no one's life is threatened.  I'd actually be too scared to even go to the living room, anyway, unless a family member was out there.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
my parents have a clock from like 1850 that was brought over that will be passed to me.  I'd probably be OK killing for that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
maybe, like, the tiniest piece of garbage in my garbage bin that I want to get out of my house asap anyway

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
would you guys shoot a bunch of high school kids for stealing bud light out of your garage fridge if your garage door was open? and like... what if they left $5-10 for the beer they took (bought) from you?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What do you own that is worth killing for?
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
would you guys shoot a bunch of high school kids for stealing bud light out of your garage fridge if your garage door was open? and like... what if they left $5-10 for the beer they took (bought) from you?
never stop a man trying to binge
:adios:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 01:59:50 PM »

Yeah, you have to chase them down and confront them before killing them. At that point, it's self defense.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
I can't think of anything I own that I would kill for.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »
I can't think of anything I own that I would kill for.

It's not about the item. It's about the principle. It's about your integrity. It's about good striking down evil in the form of hot lead.