Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 109831 times)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
Do you have Sprint skinben? There is zero sprint service in Missoula/surrounding parts of MT.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »
Do you have Sprint skinben? There is zero sprint service in Missoula/surrounding parts of MT.

I was involved in an accident in central MT three years ago.  My phone (Sprint) was the only one that would work to call 911.  Verizon, AT&T, and Tmobile all failed.  Which is sorta stupid because don't they all share towers?  Anyway...

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 01:41:19 PM »
I do have Sprint. But man. Being free from the constraints of our technopoly is kinda the point, you know? (Except I gotta BBS somehow.)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »

I was involved in an accident in central MT three years ago.  My phone (Sprint) was the only one that would work to call 911.  Verizon, AT&T, and Tmobile all failed.  Which is sorta stupid because don't they all share towers?  Anyway...

That is wild. Literally a big fat X instead of cell service bars in the entirety of Missoula/Polson and everything between for me.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2013, 01:58:53 PM »
Damn.  They say they have coverage there.  :dunno:  My Samsung gets really shitty reception compared to my buddy's HTC. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
Hey SB, didn't realize it until today but you can do 1 day canoe floats on the Upper Missouri River (like around Great Falls or Fort Benton) if you want to get in touch with your inner Meriwether Louis (or Clark).

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
Wherever Napoleon Dynamite lived in ID (as did that co-writer who started at MHS)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2013, 05:44:05 AM »
Do you guys know anything about permits for state and/or national parks? What are the best deals? How do I avoid buying a bunch of extraneous passes? How strict are they about that crap?

Also taking suggestos for a vision quest playlist.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »
I've only ever bought them for national parks.  See if you can get a season pass or something so then you can do Yellowstone and Glacier, but we're talking peanuts compared to what you'll be spending in gas, and I doubt you spend that much time in national parks.  State parks might have camping fees for improved camp grounds but if this is a vision question you should just camp up in national forest areas (free) or on BLM or state ground (also free). KOA's have nice tent camping if you want to take a shower and be more social.

On that note, probably a good idea to buy a 5 gal water jug when you get to Denver, or whenever you buy your supplies.  Gas can with a few extra gallons could come in handy, too. 

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
EmoEMAW coming through with some serious info itt. :wow: Going to see Uhh Yeah Dude live in Denver to kick off my trip and then I'll just be cruising through the mountains, chugging water and burning  gas. :excited:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
Guys. GUYS! One week till I fly to Denver. ONE WEEK!

I am so excited. I have a couple things still to take care of, though.

ONE: is there any must-have camping gear that I need that I don't already have? I mean I have the obviously tent and sleeping bag, but I'm looking to step up my sleeping game. You guys know anything about Eagle's Nest Camping Hammocks? I've had those recommended to me but am open to other comfy sleeping solutions. *edit* and now that I'm looking at pictures of them, it looks like you can only set them up outside, so that's probably out as a possibility because I don't want to get eaten by bears, right?

TWO: Gonna need a playlist for those long and lonesome drives. :cool:  Paging Michigancat and any other people who can help me come up with an elite playlist that includes lots of rock music good for the mountains.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »
pretty jealous SB, this is going to be a blast

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2013, 09:38:47 PM »
Totally jelly here too.  You owe us craptons of pictures.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation5.shtml

Good lord. I just got around to reading this. I...I don't even know what this is. :horrorsurprise:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2013, 02:13:58 AM »
SB, there is a place in Missoula called the Iron Horse Brew Pub.  Good food, good booze.  We ate there every time we flew into and out of Missoula.

I loved that place.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation5.shtml

Good lord. I just got around to reading this. I...I don't even know what this is. :horrorsurprise:

You said you wanted a vision quest. I'm trying to give it to you.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
Also would take a spirit quest, a vision journey, or a vision journey odyssey.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
Definitely try to hit up Red Rocks while you're in the Denver area Skinny

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
Also would take a spirit quest, a vision journey, or a vision journey odyssey.

all of these are possibilities with the power of the cactus.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
Definitely try to hit up Red Rocks while you're in the Denver area Skinny

Am! :excited:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2013, 12:37:32 AM »
Oh man oh man oh man, I leave for the airport in less than 36 hours.  :excited:  Flying SW metal. :flush:

So I'm going to be in Denver 'paking and doing Denver'y things with former KSU rugby elites and other friends through Saturday night (June 8) and then I hop in my rental car and crank up Whitesnake 'cuz here I go again on my own. I will then have exactly ten days to explore before I have to be back in Denver the night of June 18th. (Future Mrs. SB is flying in to meet up with me and some friends and Red Rocks will be involved.)

So. Ten days to explore. How should I divide my time? This is the nagging question. I know I want to spend AT LEAST two days in both Yellowstone and Glacier National Park...but should I really instead budget three in each? Two in one and three in the other? Looking specifically from people who have done both. And which parts of Yellowstone are the best, btw? Because it's stretched over, like, three different states.

Also. Porky Morgan. Let's get drunk. I'll probably PM you a few days from now when I have a better idea of when I'll be in Missoula--but know that I'm planning on spending at least one day/night in that area and would love to 'pak if you're available. You are of course under no obligation and can totally bail last minute with an excuse if you get nervous about meeting up with an internet bud.

I'll definitely take a crapton of pictures and post them in this thread, but I'm guessing I won't be BBS'n very much during the trip, because, you know, nature (Goulet).

Finally, a friend of mine who spent some time in Montana (park ranger or something) sent me this. Thoughts from any of you Montana people?

I can only give you good advice on Montana. Personally, if I were going up there right now, I'd have a hook in the water. Most of the spawn restriction should be lifted by then, so small stream fishing is open. If you are of that persuasion, I can give you hints on lures, flies, and locations.

As for places you have to see, I think you would be missing out if you didn't go to Glacier NP. Awesome hikes, chance for a lot of wildlife viewing, and you get to see the glaciers while they still are there. Camping can be expensive and hard to find in the park, but there is a lot on National Forest land near West Glacier near Hungry Horse Reservoir that's free or cheap.

If you have to hit any "big" cities in Montana, you have to do Missoula. Tons of camping sites within driving distance of town in all directions. I'd suggest toward the Lolo Pass area down the Bitterroot Valley or in the Blackfoot River Corridor (Russell Gates Memorial) on MT 200. Missoula is like Austin, but fewer people, surrounded by mountains, and very close to anything and everything outdoors. The music scene is awesome. Hit Rockin' Rudy's near the UM campus, they are the box office and central hub for all things music in Missoula. If you like craft beer, Missoula has 3 breweries ranging from standard German lagers to over the top imperials. You can’t go wrong with Bozeman or Butte, but Missoula is an awesome town.

Depending on the weekend in June you are in Montana, you HAVE to go to Summer Celebration in Fort Benton, MT. This was the town I lived in when I was up there. It is about 2 hours off the Front Range of the Rockies and on the shores of the Missouri River. It is definitely a small town festival, but it would be worth stopping and going to if possible. Space is hard to come by in the town, so if you are interested I can contact a couple of friends in town to see if they have room for you to pitch a tent. One of them is from Abilene, KS with a ton of ties to K-State, so I’m sure it wouldn’t take too much coaxing to get him to let you crash there.
I think that is a good start.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
I know your friend's friend in Fort Benton.  :horrorsurprise:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »
I know your friend's friend in Fort Benton.  :horrorsurprise:

:horrorsurprise:

Looks like the festival isn't until late June so it won't match up time-wise. :frown:

Is Ft. Benton cool?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »
Never been but was thinking it hitting it later this summer to meet up with that guy and do some fishing and running of the dogs.

Lewistown is super cool if you like 1) elite eating and 2) getting pak'd in a bar that literally has a river flowing through it.

Offline porky morgan

• Not the real Porky Morgan
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »
You got good advice from your park ranger guy. Fort Benton is cool but probably out of your way...and pretty quiet if the festival isn't going on. Yellowstone and Glacier are pretty different. You can see most of either in two days. Yellowstone is a lot of sitting in your car going from one weird geothermal bubbly thing to another, with a lot of traffic. The falls are worth seeing. It's the better wildlife spotting park which is good (elk, bison, grizzlies, wolves) but also causes the gawkers to jam the road and leave you sitting in your car. Glacier is more dramatic scenery, like the Alps. And is a hiker's park, with any kind of hike you could want. All the info is right there at the entrances. My favorite area there is Many Glacier on the east side. And yes pm me I'll try to get out.