Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 109867 times)

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #900 on: July 27, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »
Wasatch

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 27, 2020, 10:45:27 PM »
Oh dear. Tdaver I love those photos.

Meant to post in this thread a few weeks ago. I went to Ft. Collins for about 5 days and I just can’t even describe how much I love that town and the surrounding hikes and mountain drives. Just amazing. Headed toward Mishawaka, read a book by a river, hiked Greyrock and listened to My Morning Jacket when I got to the top, and then hours later at the end I got back to the trailhead and took off my shoes so my barking dogs could rest in the cool, rushing Poudre River. The next day I went swimming in Horsetooth Reservoir. Can’t stop thinking about Ft. Collins. It might actually be the perfect place for me. Get these motherfuckers in the Big XII immediately.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 28, 2020, 08:42:18 AM »
Oh dear. Tdaver I love those photos.

Meant to post in this thread a few weeks ago. I went to Ft. Collins for about 5 days and I just can’t even describe how much I love that town and the surrounding hikes and mountain drives. Just amazing. Headed toward Mishawaka, read a book by a river, hiked Greyrock and listened to My Morning Jacket when I got to the top, and then hours later at the end I got back to the trailhead and took off my shoes so my barking dogs could rest in the cool, rushing Poudre River. The next day I went swimming in Horsetooth Reservoir. Can’t stop thinking about Ft. Collins. It might actually be the perfect place for me. Get these motherfuckers in the Big XII immediately.

Drove through it on the way to WY and it seemed like a pretty cool town but my gawd was the traffic bad.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 28, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »
when I went on a lite vision quest to oregon a couple weeks ago a friend we were traveling with is like obsessed with night photography but is scared to go into the middle of nowhere by himself at night so we went up to this mountain where there's an observatory like a half hour east of Bend and the stars were pretty ridiculous even with the naked eye (and he got some nice shots)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 28, 2020, 08:59:36 AM »
Nice pics.

Scared of like, animals? The dark?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 28, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »
Nice pics.

Scared of like, animals? The dark?

animals and weird dudes murdering him deliverance style. And I kind of teased him about it but you drive through the "badlands" east of bend to get to this place and at like 10:30pm we saw a creepy old pickup with its parking lights on at a side road and a guy with a foot long gray beard to his neck scrolling his phone in a ford tempo on the side of the road. I wasn't weirded out but I could see how it could weird someone out.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 28, 2020, 09:11:25 AM »
Imagine the internal struggle of being an avid night photography enthusiast BUT ALSO being scared shitless of dark, desolate areas.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 28, 2020, 09:15:00 AM »
none of the killing in deliverance occurred at night.  drew was either shot or fell out of the canoe (daytime) and rapist mountain man (arrow during the day) or the toothless man (shot during the day)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 28, 2020, 09:17:44 AM »
Imagine the internal struggle of being an avid night photography enthusiast BUT ALSO being scared shitless of dark, desolate areas.

it's quite a pickle. I was glad to go with him one time but on our way back we stayed a night in Klamath Falls and he wanted to go to Crater Lake at night but I passed.

which isn't very vision-quest-y during the day but still pretty stunning!

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 28, 2020, 10:39:54 AM »
Earth is pretty amazing
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 28, 2020, 10:49:03 AM »
I hear those lakes are super deep.  I wonder how good the fishing is and what kind of fish are in them.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 28, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 28, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
isn’t a foot long beard just par for the course up there?  And greats pics

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #913 on: July 28, 2020, 11:35:27 AM »
animals and weird dudes murdering him deliverance style. And I kind of teased him about it but you drive through the "badlands" east of bend to get to this place and at like 10:30pm we saw a creepy old pickup with its parking lights on at a side road and a guy with a foot long gray beard to his neck scrolling his phone in a ford tempo on the side of the road. I wasn't weirded out but I could see how it could weird someone out.

I ride my bike in that area a lot, there are some creepy, um... "campers" out there on the forest service roads. And certain areas on the west side too.

The only animal issues I've had were skunks spraying our dog.  :facepalm:

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #914 on: July 28, 2020, 11:42:08 AM »
isn’t a foot long beard just par for the course up there?  And greats pics

beards and California plates.  :shakesfist:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: July 28, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
I hear those lakes are super deep.  I wonder how good the fishing is and what kind of fish are in them.

crater lake is the deepest lake in the US! There are actually no native fish in Crater Lake but some dumbos wanted to stock it a while back and so now there's a mess of invasive species. Rainbow Trout and a certain kind of salmon are stable and they also added crayfish to feed the trout. And now the crayfish are eating the endangered newts that live there.

we went to this crazy clear lake called "Clear Lake" and it is too cold for anything to grow but they still stock it with fish every year

and we also went to Paulina Lake which has some hot springs that were about a mile hike to get to.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:35:16 PM by michigancat »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 28, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »

I ride my bike in that area a lot, there are some creepy, um... "campers" out there on the forest service roads. And certain areas on the west side too.

The only animal issues I've had were skunks spraying our dog.  :facepalm:

yeah we went to Pine Mountain which took like 12 miles of dirt forest road. there was an empty campground there but a pickup was parked there that was another group of stargazers. when we were crossing the road to go to the observatory and peak a sprinter van pulled up and I kinda waved to direct them to the campground and they just turn around and left. Kinda creepy but not too bad

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 01, 2020, 06:20:42 PM »
Took the boys for a quick overnighter in the Uintas with some friends.  Saw a little smoke behind us as we started in.  Turned around to see this when we got to our spot.

Watched several planes fly through dropping the smokejumpers. Those guys have to be nuts but I’m glad somebody is doing it.  Hope they get paid well.  Fire was under control a few hours later.  Still smoking a little as we drove out today.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 01, 2020, 06:39:09 PM »

crater lake is the deepest lake in the US! There are actually no native fish in Crater Lake but some dumbos wanted to stock it a while back and so now there's a mess of invasive species. Rainbow Trout and a certain kind of salmon are stable and they also added crayfish to feed the trout. And now the crayfish are eating the endangered newts that live there.

we went to this crazy clear lake called "Clear Lake" and it is too cold for anything to grow but they still stock it with fish every year

and we also went to Paulina Lake which has some hot springs that were about a mile hike to get to.

Would definitely love to check those sites.  I'm jelly, those are some great pic's.  Can a person boat on them, and if so, are there restrictions on type and size?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 02, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
Clear Lake didn't allow motors but you could kayak or SUP or row. Paulina lake had some pontoons and small fishing boats but I don't know of any size limits

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 02, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
I may need to invest in a small flat row boat and an electric troll motor if allowed.  Do they allow camping near these lakes? 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 02, 2020, 07:13:09 PM »
I may need to invest in a small flat row boat and an electric troll motor if allowed.  Do they allow camping near these lakes?
Yeah Paulina had a campground right on the beach. Looked pretty amazing.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #922 on: August 03, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 03, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »
I'm going back to WY along the N Platte river valley Aug 26-29th. Decided against camping this time and rented some tiny cabin in Riverside/Encampment for $60 a night.  :love: :love: :love:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 03, 2020, 11:46:45 AM »
I'm going back to WY along the N Platte river valley Aug 26-29th. Decided against camping this time and rented some tiny cabin in Riverside/Encampment for $60 a night.  :love: :love: :love:
I'm still debating on if I take both my dogs, just lady, or just Milo. Leaning towards just Milo or both....

I've never taken both of them out fishing at the same time so I'll do some practice runs before deciding.