Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 109827 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2014, 10:57:19 PM »
Emo. Hustle and Flow is a great name for a fast moving river. Nice work.

I VQ'd a little bit in Bozeman but didn't spend a night. Did you go to the Montana State stadium and see Fat Tim Riggins? Did you go to the guitar shop downtown that has a guitar that is shaped like an airstream trailor?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2014, 10:30:32 AM »
Oh, man. Jealous. I got maybe 8 hours of fishing in while in YNP last month, and I don't want to talk about the results.

Catching a hog on a Winston outside Twin Bridges seems like a pretty life affirming event. Nice work!

Looks like you were Czech nymphing, maybe? I think I've finally decided to try to move away from my detrimental dedication to dry flies and start fishing that rig.

Those boats seem perfect for air travel. Just came across these the other day, http://www.bigskyinflatables.com, and was kind of intrigued.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »
The Winston is my buddy's.  He jumped on the BIIX bandwagon while I mocked him to his face.  I'm a Sage XP guy, that's all I fish, have 4 and want more.  His BIIX actually is a pretty sweet little dry fly rod, though.  I sold a Sage 486-4XP which also was a sweet dry fly rig, wish I hadn't done that.

Anyway we nymph with indicators, always with two flies and usually with lead shot.  I did get an 18" fish to twice take a dry fly on the Beaverhead but I pulled it out of his mouth both times.   :angry:  The dry fly fishing was otherwise unspectacular, and I usually just stick to what I'm good at (nymphing).

On the boats, get something you can control hands free.  You want to float and fish at the same time, so that means feet in the water with fins to kick around for control. 

Holy crap just found this, didn't realize they were still making one:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Outcast-Fish-Cat-Commander/1315070.uts?productVariantId=3055087&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-376624189-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03331006&rid=40

Downsides I see: no pockets for tackle.  They should get rid of the oars and add pockets.  Also the seat back looks weak.  Hello sore back.  Still more functional than what you were proposing though, IMO.  We saw people in small personal pontoons on the Big Hole just flowing/rowing through productive water with rods put away.  They have to stop to fish.  That's incredibly inefficient and unproductive. 

Also just found this one, looks better IMO:  http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1311430&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D1315070%26type%3Dproduct%26productVariantId%3D3055087%26srccode%3Dcii_17588969%26cpncode%3D32-376624189-2%26WT.tsrc%3DCSE%26WT.mc_id%3DGoogleProductAds%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D03331006%26rid%3D40&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-322104

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »
I completed a mini vision question this weekend.  It was a 30 mile hike from SLC to Park City that I have been scheming since moving out here.   mrstdaver dropped me off at the trailhead on the east side of SLC at 8 AM Friday morning (about where the shadow meets the corner of a roof left of center in the pic below).  Mt Olympus is on the right side of the pic.  I crossed the ridge just below the cloud about 2 hours later.

Here’s the view looking back from the ridge.

I intersected the Desolation Trail on the other side and the next several miles lived up to the name as I saw no one for maybe 3 hours.  That’s unusual here with 1 million people just minutes away from the trails.  The next couple pics are from that section as I approach Mt Raymond from the north and work my way around it and head east.   Mt Raymond is the peak in the background just right of the tree in center.  You will see it and Gobbler’s Knob (the rounded one left of the tree) from the other side later.

Looking down Big Cottonwood Canyon into SLC.  Backside of Mt Olympus on the right. 

Looking up Big Cottonwood Canyon.  My trail stays to the left of the pic.

There was no water source along the trail between mile 1.5 and mile 15.3 and it was fairly warm that day.  I emptied my 3L reservoir a couple miles before reaching a small lake where I drank a liter or so and rested a few minutes before taking on the last 2.4 miles of Day 1.  I finally made it to my Day 1 destination, Lake Desolation, at about 5 PM.  Drank more water first thing and then began looking for a campsite.  There were three other guys there so I chatted them up for a bit.  They were friends from Yale that met up here this week and were bouncing around from lake to lake for several days.  I set up camp not too far away. 

Day 2 started with a short climb up to the Wasatch Crest trail which I followed for about 5 miles before dropping down to a small lake on the other side.  Here’s a look at Lake Desolation from the crest and my favorite pic from the trip.  You can see Mt Raymond and Gobblers Knob again just right of center.

My first view to the east side of the Wasatch crest.

The crest trail is popular with mountain bikers.  Being a Saturday morning they were out in full force.  It was kind of nice to actually have some company on the trail for a change.   I made it the next lake in a couple hours and had only drank the 1L collapsible bottle I was carrying.  I still had the full 3L reservoir so didn’t bother getting any more.  As I sat and reworked the moleskin and tape on my feet (blisters were starting to kill me) I saw runner after runner on a trail across the lake where I was headed.  It turns out that there was a trail run that day.  Our paths intersected for about half a mile and I joined in.  There was an aid station around the bend, so I stopped and talked to the volunteers and drank a glass of Powerade before heading on. It turns out that was the last drink I would have until I reached Park City.  Another half mile down the trail I tried to get a drink from the reservoir but couldn’t.  Thinking maybe the hose was kinked I stopped to check it out.  The reservoir was empty.  It has has its own compartment in my pack and that wasn’t wet.  My sleeping bag at the bottom of the main compartment wasn’t wet.  The reservoir didn’t leak when I checked it back at home later.  I have no explanation.  Where can 3L of water disappear to?  I considered going back to the aid station or the lake, but realized that I only had 6 miles to go and all downhill.  I run further than that regularly without water so just kept going.  The rest of the hike was through a maze of mountain bike trails on the Park City ski resort and went quickly.  Here’s a pic looking down at Park City and Deer Valley ski areas.

The Wasatch Brew Pub at noon was our rendezvous and I made it 30 minutes ahead of schedule.  I sat down at the bar, dropped my pack on the floor, ordered a beer, and watched the women’s Crossfit games with an older lady downing Mimosas while I waited for mrstdaver to pick me up.   

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »
Incredible,  tdaver

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »
tdaver. That sounds great. Didn't get to check out much Utah but would love to in the future because those pictures look so boss. Did you see any stades up there in the mountains on your 30 mile journey? :excited:

As I sat and reworked the moleskin and tape on my feet (blisters were starting to kill me) I saw runner after runner on a trail across the lake where I was headed.  It turns out that there was a trail run that day.  Our paths intersected for about half a mile and I joined in.  There was an aid station around the bend, so I stopped and talked to the volunteers and drank a glass of Powerade before heading on.

Take it to the Distance Running Thread :love:

Another half mile down the trail I tried to get a drink from the reservoir but couldn’t.  Thinking maybe the hose was kinked I stopped to check it out.  The reservoir was empty.  It has has its own compartment in my pack and that wasn’t wet.  My sleeping bag at the bottom of the main compartment wasn’t wet.  The reservoir didn’t leak when I checked it back at home later.  I have no explanation.  Where can 3L of water disappear to?

:Wha: Pretty weird, bro. You ever figure out this whodunit? I'm kinda dying to know.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »
tdaver. That sounds great. Didn't get to check out much Utah but would love to in the future because those pictures look so boss.
There's so much VQ worthy terrain here.  The Wasatch Mtns are practically in my backyard, the Uintas are just a 1.5 hours away, and the red rock canyons to the south are amaze.  They are all different and each big enough for endless questing.  I always have a hard time deciding what to do next.

Did you see any stades up there in the mountains on your 30 mile journey? :excited:
The bowl that I camped in would make a phenomenal amphi-stade.   May have to do something about the water tho.  I'm hoping to catch a Utes game this fall.  Will report back if so.

:Wha: Pretty weird, bro. You ever figure out this whodunit? I'm kinda dying to know.
Nope.  No explanation.  Filled it up the night before and slipped it into my pack.  The pack was in the tent with me all night.  Neither the pack nor the tent floor were wet the next morning.  My only guess is that maybe I put enough pressure on it when reloading my pack or when I sat it down at a stop that I forced it out the drinking hose.  But 3L?  Come on.  I would have seen that for sure.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
Any wildlife to speak of tdaver?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
A few deer and a bull moose.   No decent pics.  The moose was fairly close to the trail and looked grumpy, so I kept moving rather than taking pics.

There are a few lions and bears in the area but none made their presence known.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »
Moose are damn dangerous. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 04, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »
nice report tdaver

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »
 Well thanks tdaver, now I feel like I need to move to the mountains
:adios:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 04, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
Milky Way over the Palouse.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 04, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
 :love:  wow!  did you take that pic SB?  Deets please

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 04, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
yes, took it on this:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »
The palouse was probably the one place on my VQ that i regret most not spending more time in, pretty much just drove around the edge of it.   :cry:

Why can't the poors in western washington have a kick ass scenic byway like 177?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 09, 2014, 08:23:05 AM »
Truck is loaded up and dogs are anxious.  Leave tonight for Montana.  Looking forward to some tired puppies.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 09, 2014, 07:49:42 PM »
Oh man. How much would I love to be Vision Questing right now? Would crush some St. Mary's in Glacier National right about now. :frown: Where are you going this time, Emo?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
Nice hell hound you have there.

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 22, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
Truck is loaded up and dogs are anxious.  Leave tonight for Montana.  Looking forward to some tired puppies.

Report?  Pics?
 :impatient:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 23, 2014, 12:00:29 AM »

:D
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 12, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »

Report?  Pics?
 :impatient:

:impatient: :impatient:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 06, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
Oh hey guys. SB checking in to tell you that HGTV started this new show called Living Big Sky. Right now there's a hot young couple looking for a cabin'y place in Bozeman. Actually they're like 15 miles outside but the views are obvs incredible and just making me hurt on my inside parts for another VQ. Anyone questing this summer?

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 06, 2015, 11:55:24 PM »
I've made a couple quests to Branson this spring.  I think my 6yr old is going pro in foam ball shooting.  He spent both trips either launching foam balls at kids in Lucky's fire House or soaking erry mofo that got too close to our river boat.  We're going back again in July.   :emawkid: