Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 110849 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
Oh man, Slough Creek.  Hiked up to the second meadows one time and saw wolf tracks.  Didn't see any bears but supposedly they are in there pretty thick.

Beartooth sounds rad.

Nice. I'll be happy with either itinerary. Did you fish Slough? It and the Lamar will probably still be in runoff when we're there, but I'll likely still chuck a few streamers or huge nymphs anyway, just to see what happens.

We'd love to see wolves, missed those last summer, but would probably assume keep any grizzly encounters to roadside sightings.

I was initially looking at a campsite right on the edge of the Gallatin Bear Management Area, where off-trail activity is prohibited and groups of at least four are encouraged. But Future Mrs. wELLsculptedbrows and I quickly decided it was probably better not to so obviously tempt fate into ruining the wedding ceremony we are planning to hold in the same basin later that week.

Yup, hiked up just to fish. It was early September and it was cold and snowing/raining but they still wanted hoppers pretty bad.  Just spent 10 minutes looking for some old pics but couldn't find.  Some nice fish up there.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 27, 2014, 01:12:19 PM »
Grats.

That road isn't horrible. It's at least a decently wide paved road. But definitely no guard rails. I'm not a fan of heights at all, and it took me a minute or two to acclimate to my potential immanent demise. Lamar Valley is one of the coolest, calmest places I've been to. Lots of bears and potential of wolves, so be careful! And mammoth, I love it.

Thanks!

I'm mainly worried about my engine exploding ... and possibly weather. I'm sure it will be fine, I just haven't driven above tree line before.

Super excited to send some time in the NE part of the park, didn't make it past Tower last year.

We've both got bear spray and are pretty vigilant about making noise and safely storing smellables. But last year, when we started to hear bears (right after we got our bear bag up), all I could think was "What kind of idiot brings his fiance here?" We both are still convinced the back country experience is definitely worth the relatively slight risk though.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 27, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »
I had a rental the last time I drove that road. Brand new Chevy Equinox, or whatever their small SUV was. I would highly advise never buying a used rental. I abused that thing getting up that mountain. That said, it's a fairly gentle constant slope. If the weather is bad, they will definitely shut it down.

As for the bears, invest in some bells to hang from your belt. That helps most of the time. Definitely have the spray. If you ever camp with your car nearby, make sure your car remote is with you and ring your alarm if you hear anything.

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 22, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »
... It's very much an alien planet, if I haven't said that already. Weirdo rock formations, lots of bubbling pools, bison everywhere, etc. ...

... Mrs. SB  called it The Land Before Time and she was right. ...

Pretty excited to head west in three weeks.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
:lol: Some chubby awesome 9 year-old girl next to me was wearing this, but on a shirt. Pretty boss move to wear on a plane.

http://www.zazzle.com/not_found_fridge_magnets-147406556052911529

Just realized that one year ago today I left to go do something way more exciting than I'm doing today. Getting Vision Quest wistfulness here, you guys. :frown: Is anyone VQing this summer? :frown: :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
Just realized that one year ago today I left to go do something way more exciting than I'm doing today. Getting Vision Quest wistfulness here, you guys. :frown: Is anyone VQing this summer? :frown: :frown:

Mounting the Yakima Space Cadet (complete with WHERE THE HECK IS WALL DRUG bumper sticker, lol) this weekend so I can just flaunt my intentions around town for a week before taking off next Friday. (Not sure if I'd call this trip VQing, but maybe ... probably?) 

If no cosmic mysteries are revealed to me here: http://carhenge.com/ maybe they will be here: http://solar-center.stanford.edu/AO/bighorn.html

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
On account of Emo fetus my fall classic has been shortened from two weeks to one week.   :frown: but still kinda  :gocho: and  :D

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
congratudolences
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »
Mrs. Schreds and I leave sat morning for the annual vq to NW Wyoming.   Can't wait guys!  Prolly won't get a damn thing done this week at work.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
Mrs. Schreds and I leave sat morning for the annual vq to NW Wyoming.   Can't wait guys!  Prolly won't get a damn thing done this week at work.

:excited: lucky. Where are you going?

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 07, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
Will be in the Dubois area.  It's about 60 mi as the crow flies east of Jackson.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2014, 06:22:59 AM »
Will be balls deep in a Rocky Mountain trout stream by lunch time today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 10, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »
You guys are so lucky. :frown:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 10, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »
Also why aren't you VQing Qatz posting pictures?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2014, 12:15:24 AM »
I will.  Right now I'm in my vehicle waiting out thunder storm.  Banged a few big fish today and got kinda burned.

Sent using Tapatalk Elite on iPhone 6

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »
Emo I just wanted you to know that you are being very very selfish right now :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
Teaser!!!

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »
 :impatient:  pic tease

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2014, 10:26:31 PM »
Sangre de Cristo Mountains, mustache style

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »
Yes, Sonntag!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 15, 2014, 05:58:37 PM »
Ok some pics.  We flew into BZN on Thursday morning, drove to Twin Bridges and up the Ruby Valley and fished there that afternoon.  Fishing was good.  Also Ima @ben ji because I'm not sure if he reads this thread?

The next day we floated the dam to Pipe Organ section of the Beaverhead River.  It's said that there is a 20 inch fish every 50 feet on "the Beav" based on shocking surveys.  It is without a doubt the best river I've fished from a size perspective.  The first fish is 18" and the second is 20".

Some scenery from the float...

This river absolutely hauls balls at a swift 8 mph.  It really moves.  We called it Hustle and Flow.  Most of the fish are right up against the outside banks so you just pound them the whole time.  We float in these little kickboats, a limited run you can't buy anymore.

You sit in them and have fins strapped to your boots and you can kick around to control yourself.  Most fishing is done while floating but you can stand up and stop if you want.

The next day we floated Divide Bridge to Salmonfly (Melrose) on the Big Hole River.  We wanted to float the upper section but non-residents are barred from that section on Saturday.

Fishing was okay there, I think I got one or two fishing pushing 17".

Then we drove down to Dillon and back over towards Ennis to float the Madison.  This is from the pass between Virginia City/Nevada City (which seem like cool places to visit, FWIW).

We ate dinner at the Gravel Bar in Ennis, a local bar/grill frequented by the fishing guides and other locals.  Would recommend.

We floated Lyons Bridge to McAtee Bridge on the Madison River, which is a really long float.  But that river moves along at about 6mph so we were off the water by 4PM.

There are a ton of guides/clients on this river, and some of them gave us the stink eye because we were farming fish out in front of their clients.  I nailed one 18" chunky rainbow right in front of a guided pair, didn't get a picture though because my buddy was a long ways ahead of me.  It was my fish of the trip, she was about 5 pounds, and clean in every way, a perfect specimen.  Here's a pic of a not so big rainbow my buddy caught right in front of me as I waved him the okay to float through my water.  Caught him right in front of me, rough rider. 

That night we stayed on Bozeman and holy crap what a great town.  We ate dinner at the Bacchus Pub which was excellent and I would recommend.  I had the hippie burger (artichoke hearts and avocado).  Overall great trip, would like to do it every year.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 15, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »
Great pics Emo.  Looks like it was a blast, especially with those little boats.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »
after you float down the river, how do you get back to your car
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #298 on: July 15, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
after you float down the river, how do you get back to your car

Every day we hire a shuttle.  It's like 30 bucks.  Just leave the cash in the console and hide the keys somewhere.  Vehicle is waiting for us at the take out.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49:08 PM »
i see, cool
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite