Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 110876 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #1200 on: October 26, 2022, 11:07:59 AM »
This is my neck of the woods. Let me know if you want beta on anything. Grand Mesa, Dolores Canyon, Uncompahgre, Weminuche, La Platas, San Juans, Lone Mesa, Hovenweep, Canyon of the Ancients, etc.

Would not recommend going to Moab in July unless you're planning to run the Green. Best times are April-May, or September-November.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 26, 2022, 01:00:16 PM »
This is my neck of the woods. Let me know if you want beta on anything. Grand Mesa, Dolores Canyon, Uncompahgre, Weminuche, La Platas, San Juans, Lone Mesa, Hovenweep, Canyon of the Ancients, etc.

Would not recommend going to Moab in July unless you're planning to run the Green. Best times are April-May, or September-November.
@asava, we are planning to camp near Durango for approx one week. One day for narrow gauge railroad, at least one day for Mesa Verde, maybe one day for Ouray hot springs/Oak Creek Overlook, one day to hike a bit on Colorado Trail. Do you think kids would like Canyons of the Ancients?

Will take recommendations from you and tdaver to defer Utah rock formation national parks to a spring/fall timeframe.

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: October 26, 2022, 01:40:49 PM »
My kids always enjoy a morning at Purgatory Resort for the alpine slide, mountain coaster, etc.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: October 26, 2022, 01:57:16 PM »
My kids always enjoy a morning at Purgatory Resort for the alpine slide, mountain coaster, etc.
We may need to add this to the itinerary. A few years ago, we spent the night in Durango on the way to Grand Canyon but didn't do anything while we were there. Looks like there are months' of things to do in the area.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 26, 2022, 02:45:54 PM »

@asava, we are planning to camp near Durango for approx one week. One day for narrow gauge railroad, at least one day for Mesa Verde, maybe one day for Ouray hot springs/Oak Creek Overlook, one day to hike a bit on Colorado Trail. Do you think kids would like Canyons of the Ancients?

Will take recommendations from you and tdaver to defer Utah rock formation national parks to a spring/fall timeframe.

DGO in July is great, though you should be aware that the rains/monsoons usually start about mid july and set in just after noon. The snows should be melted up high, and there are lots of amazing day hikes you can get in while around, and several I'd recommend over the Colorado Trail section that is down here. Check out Engineer Mountain via Pass Trail at the top of Coal Bank and take it to the meadow. Summiting Engineer is a little bit of a scramble, so it would depend on how old/adept your kids are if you wanted to try and get close to 13,000 ft. Either way the meadow is awesome and the views are incredible. Just don't get caught up there after noon, as you'll be above tree line where clouds move in quickly and lightning is a deadly concern. There are also lots of hikes off Molas Pass as well. Check out Vestal Basin. Lots of waterfalls and it's hiking only, but that will take you on a portion of the CT that is only open to foot traffic. Molas and Little Molas have great campgrounds as well. You could also look towards high alpine lakes like Highland Mary Lake, Columbine Lake, or even Ice Lakes. Ice Lakes is permit only now due to so many people finding out about it via instagram and it basically being overrun by idiots who start fires and generally leave crap everywhere, but it's a pretty remarkable place. Highland Mary and Columbine are lesser known and good options. An easier lake hike would be Potato Lake near Purgatory.

Canyon of the Ancients is awesome, but your kids might lose interest if they've already done Mesa Verde. Depending on where you are camping, it could mean a lot of time in the car. You're doing the right thing by giving a full day or more to Mesa Verde. It takes quite a bit of car time just to get to the dwellings. You should also double check to see what sites are open. They often close sites for restoration, and it can be a big bummer if you go in there without knowing some of the more accessible ones are closed.

It sounds like camping at Molas or Little Molas would be your ideal location to reach both Ouray, Mesa Verde, and do a bit of hiking. Andrews Lake, Molas Lake, and Little Molas are all great to do a little stand up paddle boarding on. Where were you thinking of camping?

Personally, I'd try and not do too much. There's plenty to do and not enough time around these parts. I've spent the last decade exploring all that I can and still have so much on my checklist to knock off. Pro tip on the narrow gauge: one way is enough. A full day on that thing feels pretty long. Purgatory has a lot to do and they've built out a ton of stuff recently, new alpine coaster, a lot of mountain biking, etc...

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 26, 2022, 02:51:04 PM »

DGO in July is great, though you should be aware that the rains/monsoons usually start about mid july and set in just after noon. The snows should be melted up high, and there are lots of amazing day hikes you can get in while around, and several I'd recommend over the Colorado Trail section that is down here. Check out Engineer Mountain via Pass Trail at the top of Coal Bank and take it to the meadow. Summiting Engineer is a little bit of a scramble, so it would depend on how old/adept your kids are if you wanted to try and get close to 13,000 ft. Either way the meadow is awesome and the views are incredible. Just don't get caught up there after noon, as you'll be above tree line where clouds move in quickly and lightning is a deadly concern. There are also lots of hikes off Molas Pass as well. Check out Vestal Basin. Lots of waterfalls and it's hiking only, but that will take you on a portion of the CT that is only open to foot traffic. Molas and Little Molas have great campgrounds as well. You could also look towards high alpine lakes like Highland Mary Lake, Columbine Lake, or even Ice Lakes. Ice Lakes is permit only now due to so many people finding out about it via instagram and it basically being overrun by idiots who start fires and generally leave crap everywhere, but it's a pretty remarkable place. Highland Mary and Columbine are lesser known and good options. An easier lake hike would be Potato Lake near Purgatory.

Canyon of the Ancients is awesome, but your kids might lose interest if they've already done Mesa Verde. Depending on where you are camping, it could mean a lot of time in the car. You're doing the right thing by giving a full day or more to Mesa Verde. It takes quite a bit of car time just to get to the dwellings. You should also double check to see what sites are open. They often close sites for restoration, and it can be a big bummer if you go in there without knowing some of the more accessible ones are closed.

It sounds like camping at Molas or Little Molas would be your ideal location to reach both Ouray, Mesa Verde, and do a bit of hiking. Andrews Lake, Molas Lake, and Little Molas are all great to do a little stand up paddle boarding on. Where were you thinking of camping?

Personally, I'd try and not do too much. There's plenty to do and not enough time around these parts. I've spent the last decade exploring all that I can and still have so much on my checklist to knock off. Pro tip on the narrow gauge: one way is enough. A full day on that thing feels pretty long. Purgatory has a lot to do and they've built out a ton of stuff recently, new alpine coaster, a lot of mountain biking, etc...

Great tips - and I'll second the train info. We did the round trip - and the ride back was miserable and cold due to the showers that moved in for the afternoon. A really long day.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: October 26, 2022, 04:13:56 PM »

As of right now, we are planning on the Junction Creek Campground.

Thanks for the tip on the narrow gauge. I'm by far the biggest train fanatic in our family, so we'll plan on taking the shuttle back so I don't burn everyone else out on trains. Need to keep some credit in the bank for a trip to the Cumbres and Toltec at some point in the future.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: October 27, 2022, 01:38:04 PM »
Ice Lakes is permit only now due to so many people finding out about it via instagram and it basically being overrun by idiots who start fires and generally leave crap everywhere, but it's a pretty remarkable place.

Damn.  It kills me when amazing places get wrecked like this.  People are terrible.  Add this to the Social Media Destroying the World Thread.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 27, 2022, 05:12:45 PM »
Maps obtained for SW CO VQ:

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: October 28, 2022, 10:51:25 AM »
Btw, fun kid activity is to take em rafting through town.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: November 07, 2022, 08:45:54 AM »
So I started reading this book about the Ancestral Pueblo people (House of Rain) and it is pretty incredible. There's a site in NW New Mexico called Pueblo Bonito inside Chaco Canyon (did not know this place existed prior to a week ago). These were the largest buildings in N America until the 19th Century. The builders appeared to incorporate solstice markers, etc into their structures. Has anyone visited this place? Seems as incredible as Stonehenge only using lots of small rocks for building instead of a few huge rocks.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: November 07, 2022, 10:06:22 AM »
Maps obtained for SW CO VQ:

Durango is awesome
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: November 07, 2022, 10:08:17 AM »
So I started reading this book about the Ancestral Pueblo people (House of Rain) and it is pretty incredible. There's a site in NW New Mexico called Pueblo Bonito inside Chaco Canyon (did not know this place existed prior to a week ago). These were the largest buildings in N America until the 19th Century. The builders appeared to incorporate solstice markers, etc into their structures. Has anyone visited this place? Seems as incredible as Stonehenge only using lots of small rocks for building instead of a few huge rocks.

Not made it out there but spent a lot of time near-ish by in Farmington, even being there lots of Hopi/Navajo influence and talk about this place.

NM has a lot of gems in, not just Santa Fe and Albuquerque
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 07, 2022, 10:47:24 AM »

Not made it out there but spent a lot of time near-ish by in Farmington, even being there lots of Hopi/Navajo influence and talk about this place.

It looks like this place is not really on the road to anywhere these days. It is staggering to think about the amount of labor and valuable resources went into building these sites in this landscape.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 04, 2023, 08:10:01 AM »
Anyone have any favorite hiking boots?

I just use my trail runners.  Haven’t had boots in years.  But I generally stay on trail, not chasing animals  through the brush.
I generally use trail runners for hiking.
I have a pair of Danner's that my MIL got me for Christmas about 8 years ago that are incredibly comfortable.

I got a pair of insulated Danners last year for hunting in the snow/cold and they are almost too warm. Incredibly comfortable as well.
These incredibly sexy Danner boots just popped up in my fb feed. No idea if they are useful for hiking.

Online Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: January 04, 2023, 08:24:15 AM »
Looks like I will be vision questing on Spring Break.  What are your suggestions for a 3 day backpacking trip?
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 04, 2023, 02:54:44 PM »
Looks like I will be vision questing on Spring Break.  What are your suggestions for a 3 day backpacking trip?

Mountains will still be snowed in.  Look at the desert southwest or California.  Maybe the Superstitions or Big Bend or Joshua Tree or something on the coast?  Don’t have any experience with those but all on my list.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 11, 2023, 11:09:32 AM »

It looks like this place is not really on the road to anywhere these days. It is staggering to think about the amount of labor and valuable resources went into building these sites in this landscape.

Anasazi?

Kansas has pre colombian Pueblos, but just the foundations.  Very interesting.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 11, 2023, 11:24:18 AM »
Man, not sure how I missed all this. SW CO is so great.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 11, 2023, 11:44:45 AM »

Anasazi?

Kansas has pre colombian Pueblos, but just the foundations.  Very interesting.
Yes. Anasazi / Ancestral Puebloan peoples. Related to the people who created the Mesa Verde dwellings, the El Quartalejo site in Scott County, KS and Kiet Seel in NE Arizona.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 30, 2023, 08:43:44 AM »

thanks again for the info. I printed off your post and I'm marking out the TH's on my maps. Would you recommend the Ouray Perimeter Trail?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 30, 2023, 08:50:42 AM »
I will be engaging in my first VQ this fall.

Utah,Wyoming,Colorado and Idaho.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 30, 2023, 11:09:55 AM »
Go get em wet Willie.

I'm going on my 5th vision quest July 9-14 along the N Platte in Wyoming.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 30, 2023, 11:30:25 AM »
wetwillie that is a lot! what are the main stops on your vq

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 30, 2023, 04:51:57 PM »
shows us the details, ww!