Author Topic: Stars Absolutely Matter  (Read 7654 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Stars Absolutely Matter
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »
I think pan and sd are kind of talking past each other.  There aren't "a ton" of ways to win in college football.  There are relatively few ways if we are talking about talent acquisition and roster construction.  I mean sure, systems and schemes are necessarily related to these issues when looking at the big pictures, but they cannot ever replace talent acquisition.

LHC Bill Snyder gets a ton of crap for not recruiting well.  I think there are arguments to be made that he recruits better than people that simply look at rivals star ratings as the only measure.  But that fact does not dismiss the value of a rivals ranking and the large data sets that consistently state that a high rivals ranking is strongly correlated with winning college football and strong NFL prospects.  No one is saying that Bill should completely scrap his strategy, I think many would just like to mix in some better top-end and mid-level talent.   

I think our coaching change will be even more difficult than at most schools, because of all the reasons you can easily think of, at least partly due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the usefulness of the rivals ranking system.  If everyone becomes convinced that the LHC Bill Snyder model is not largely attributed to the man, the legend, and is easily replicable we are in for some serious pain.  There is no "K-State way" there is a LHC Bill Snyder way and until there is some evidence that that is repeatable I'm convinced that we need to embrace a more mainstream vision of recruiting.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
What emawblast described is getting as absolute much out of players as possible.  The 4/5 stars come into play in this as their ceiling is usually higher than the 2/3 stars. 

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »
I think things like getting lots of players with late birthdays is really interesting. it seems line we're good at finding two stars that should be high three our four stars, but not high three our four stars that should be five stars. It feels like a fear of competition on the recruiting trail.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2013, 12:35:06 PM »
There was an article about texas kIds topping out early because they are all held back.   Espn i think.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2013, 06:51:38 PM »
Snyder could absolutely win big at Alabama or the likes. Would the starting rosters look different that if Saban, were there? Yes, absolutely. I think the percentage of the team that would "buy in" would be lessened. But those that did would be collectively better than the higher percentage of athletes that buy in at KSU.

My point being that stars absolutely matter. Would Snyder and/or KSU be able to keep a roster chalked full with them happy? No, but I'll take running off 50% of our 4/5 stars, provided we get a decent amount, and the rest of the team filled with players that Bill typically recruits now over a team full of the way we recruit now.

That said, all I care about is W's. I don't care who is coaching, who is playing, who is in the seats. DPs and W's are all I care about.

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2013, 11:07:43 PM »
I think pan and sd are kind of talking past each other.  There aren't "a ton" of ways to win in college football.  There are relatively few ways if we are talking about talent acquisition and roster construction.  I mean sure, systems and schemes are necessarily related to these issues when looking at the big pictures, but they cannot ever replace talent acquisition.

LHC Bill Snyder gets a ton of crap for not recruiting well.  I think there are arguments to be made that he recruits better than people that simply look at rivals star ratings as the only measure.  But that fact does not dismiss the value of a rivals ranking and the large data sets that consistently state that a high rivals ranking is strongly correlated with winning college football and strong NFL prospects.  No one is saying that Bill should completely scrap his strategy, I think many would just like to mix in some better top-end and mid-level talent.   

I think our coaching change will be even more difficult than at most schools, because of all the reasons you can easily think of, at least partly due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the usefulness of the rivals ranking system.  If everyone becomes convinced that the LHC Bill Snyder model is not largely attributed to the man, the legend, and is easily replicable we are in for some serious pain.  There is no "K-State way" there is a LHC Bill Snyder way and until there is some evidence that that is repeatable I'm convinced that we need to embrace a more mainstream vision of recruiting.

Unless Bill was spending what little free time he fits into his schedule teaching his 45 year old son how to mimic his strategy of success by gradually giving him more responsibilities every season ... ?

It might be  :bill: 's greatest scheme.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2013, 01:06:59 AM »

Unless Bill was spending what little free time he fits into his schedule teaching his 45 year old son how to mimic his strategy of success by gradually giving him more responsibilities every season ... ?

The talking point of rival fans will change from "KSU can't win without Bill" to "KSU can't win without a Snyder", Tate takes over once Sean becomes Old Balls and the circle stays unbroken

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »

The talking point of rival fans will change from "KSU can't win without Bill" to "KSU can't win without a Snyder", Tate takes over once Sean becomes Old Balls and the circle stays unbroken

If Sean ends up being an evil genius because Bill taught him everything, I could care less about that talking point. Ditto 20 years from now if Sean passes it on to Tate.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
I think Snyder takes a completely different approach to recruiting. A huge part of recruiting is highlight tapes, and Snyder wants to see what these guys are doing when they aren't making plays.