Author Topic: eff that stupid ass show (duck dynasty related)  (Read 29718 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: eff that stupid ass show (duck dynasty related)
« Reply #325 on: December 20, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »
I enjoyed this long winded post on the subject

Quote from: facebook friend
I'm not particularly interested in having another discussion about the Duck Dynasty thing, but I do want to talk about one of the broader themes that has emerged in the aftermath.

This is a complete list of things an opinion CANNOT be: "wrong."

This is an incomplete list of things an opinion CAN be: harmful; obtuse; myopic; rooted in fallacy or fundamental ignorance of the facts; deserving of criticism; invalid.

An opinion is "never wrong" only in the sense that somebody else can't prove or disprove whether you believe it. For example, if I say "I believe that all duck hunters are stupid assholes," somebody else CANNOT say "No, you don't." That's a big win for me, the guy who hates all duck hunters. I've successfully had an opinion! And nobody can take that sweet, sweet success away from me!

However, this opinion I have that all duck hunters are stupid assholes... well, it has a few flaws. And sadly, even though I've gone through all the effort of formulating this opinion, even though I have the right to express this opinion, and even though I think it's a real neat opinion to have, other people MAY choose to point out aforementioned flaws.

These people may choose to point out that some duck hunters are demonstrably not stupid assholes. Maybe one of these people has an uncle who went to MIT and helps the homeless and hunts ducks. I can still believe that all duck hunters are stupid assholes, but now my opinion is contrary to empirical evidence.

These people may cite academic peer-reviewed studies that show that actually, only 87% of all duck hunters are stupid assholes. I can STILL believe that all duck hunters are stupid assholes, but now my opinion is contrary to statistically-supported fact.

These people may point out that my belief is derived from a book called Duck Hunters Are All Stupid Assholes, which I consider to be the infallible word of God because it says so in the foreword. I can EVEN NOW believe that all duck hunters are stupid assholes, but now my opinion is rooted in circular logic.

These people may assert that my pejorative classification of all duck hunters is dehumanizing to people who just want to live their life and hunt ducks and not bother anyone else. They may say that calling them stupid assholes who are sinful by nature and deserve to go to hell is incendiary rhetoric that, even if not a direct call to violence, fosters an environment that produces violent hate crimes against duck hunters and suicides by duck hunters who can't deal with being hated any longer. These people may even say that it's pretty weird that I hate duck hunters at least in part because I feel like they're obsessed with cloacas. SOMEHOW EVEN DESPITE ALL THIS I can CONTINUE to INSIST ON BELIEVING that all duck hunters are stupid assholes, but now, guess what? I'M the stupid bad person.

And if my employer doesn't want to be associated with a stupid bad person, they have the right to fire me, despite my TOTALLY NOT-WRONG OPINION about what the first amendment says.

So, yeah, everybody is allowed to have and express opinions. But the reality is, not all opinions are created equal. Some opinions are complete and total bullshit.
:adios:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 20, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »
I enjoyed this long winded post on the subject

Quote from: facebook friend
I'm not particularly interested in having another discussion about the Duck Dynasty thing, but I do want to talk about one of the broader themes that has emerged in the aftermath.

This is a complete list of things an opinion CANNOT be: "wrong."

This is an incomplete list of things an opinion CAN be: harmful; obtuse; myopic; rooted in fallacy or fundamental ignorance of the facts; deserving of criticism; invalid.

An opinion is "never wrong" only in the sense that somebody else can't prove or disprove whether you believe it. For example, if I say "I believe that all duck hunters are stupid assholes," somebody else CANNOT say "No, you don't." That's a big win for me, the guy who hates all duck hunters. I've successfully had an opinion! And nobody can take that sweet, sweet success away from me!

However, this opinion I have that all duck hunters are stupid assholes... well, it has a few flaws. And sadly, even though I've gone through all the effort of formulating this opinion, even though I have the right to express this opinion, and even though I think it's a real neat opinion to have, other people MAY choose to point out aforementioned flaws.

These people may choose to point out that some duck hunters are demonstrably not stupid assholes. Maybe one of these people has an uncle who went to MIT and helps the homeless and hunts ducks. I can still believe that all duck hunters are stupid assholes, but now my opinion is contrary to empirical evidence.

These people may cite academic peer-reviewed studies that show that actually, only 87% of all duck hunters are stupid assholes. I can STILL believe that all duck hunters are stupid assholes, but now my opinion is contrary to statistically-supported fact.

These people may point out that my belief is derived from a book called Duck Hunters Are All Stupid Assholes, which I consider to be the infallible word of God because it says so in the foreword. I can EVEN NOW believe that all duck hunters are stupid assholes, but now my opinion is rooted in circular logic.

These people may assert that my pejorative classification of all duck hunters is dehumanizing to people who just want to live their life and hunt ducks and not bother anyone else. They may say that calling them stupid assholes who are sinful by nature and deserve to go to hell is incendiary rhetoric that, even if not a direct call to violence, fosters an environment that produces violent hate crimes against duck hunters and suicides by duck hunters who can't deal with being hated any longer. These people may even say that it's pretty weird that I hate duck hunters at least in part because I feel like they're obsessed with cloacas. SOMEHOW EVEN DESPITE ALL THIS I can CONTINUE to INSIST ON BELIEVING that all duck hunters are stupid assholes, but now, guess what? I'M the stupid bad person.

And if my employer doesn't want to be associated with a stupid bad person, they have the right to fire me, despite my TOTALLY NOT-WRONG OPINION about what the first amendment says.

So, yeah, everybody is allowed to have and express opinions. But the reality is, not all opinions are created equal. Some opinions are complete and total bullshit.

Pretty fantastic

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 20, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »
A. I have not seen one epi of Duck Dynasty
2. I recently bought a box of Black Cloud ammunition which is endorsed by those guys.
C. Went goose hunting today (my first time) and frozed my ass off.
D. Going to need some good recipes for Christmas goose feasting.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 20, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
Totally DNR'd thread.  T's & P's for anyone hooked on that show I hope you don't admit that openly.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 20, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
A. I have not seen one epi of Duck Dynasty
2. I recently bought a box of Black Cloud ammunition which is endorsed by those guys.
C. Went goose hunting today (my first time) and frozed my ass off.
D. Going to need some good recipes for Christmas goose feasting.
http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 21, 2013, 12:32:59 AM »
You guys are still talking about this? holy crap.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 21, 2013, 08:02:16 AM »
boing boing from wednesday

This is where some Christian conservatives do that thing where the First Amendment is held to guarantee Freedom of Reality Show, isn't it?

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 21, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »
"Duck Dynasty is a Fake Yuppies-in-Red-Neck-Drag Con Job""

[url][http://m.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/20/1264354/-Duck-Dynasty-is-a-Fake-Yuppies-in-Red-Neck-Drag-Con-Job/url]

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 21, 2013, 09:14:47 AM »
You guys are still talking about this? holy crap.
They're obsessed, winters. They're on phog tuck obsessed levels right now. Jack Harry wins again.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 22, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »
What if the gays just enjoyed their anuses and then when they on their AIDS deathbed just repented and accepted Jesus Christ into their hearts?  Then they'd be all good right?

This is a great point Emo EMAW.  I've often thought about this myself and I've come to 3 conclusions.

1.  I believe you are correct.  If a person lived their life doing whatever sin they wanted whenever they wanted but at the end of their life repented and asked Jesus to come into their life and heart then they would in fact be saved.  This is assuming they genuinely do love the Lord.  I believe the Lord knows are hearts and our thoughts better than we know ourselves, and would therefore judge accordingly.  I don't think it would be wise to try and trick him on our deathbed though.

2. We are not guaranteed tomorrow.  Accidents happen and not everyone lives till old age.  Death can happen unexpectedly.  So I think  it would be foolish to repent later rather than sooner.

3. And finally a person who turns to Jesus on their deathbed would miss out on the glorious opportunity of serving the Lord with their life here on the earth. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays gE.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 22, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
i also don't watch duck dynasty fwiw.  only watch Brooklyn 99 and college sports.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 23, 2013, 01:01:19 AM »
Looks like the robertson suspension backlash was more substantial than the initial lash.  Sponsers have counted heads and are staying with him.  At this crossroads of deeply held beliefs LGTB was simply out numbered.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 23, 2013, 08:01:06 AM »
@mikec2w

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 23, 2013, 11:05:22 AM »
 :eek:

@charliesheen: I came up
with a
PERFECT
holiday idea!
Denise and
Phil Roberson
should get married!
then he can practice
the Bestiality he
hates!
c
:)
@lopakman

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 23, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »