Author Topic: eff that stupid ass show (duck dynasty related)  (Read 30413 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: eff that stupid ass show (duck dynasty related)
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »
BEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BREAKING NEWS

BEEP BEEP BEEP

ELDERLY ZEALOUS LOUSIANA REDNECK REVEALED AS HOMOPHOBE

BEEP BEP BEEP BEEP

FILM AT ELEVEN

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
He was implying that they are below him, because he loves vaginas and they love anuses.  It was 100% wrong for him to say.  If he had said he believed homosexuality was a sin and stopped, cool, let him be.  But he likened being a homosexual to some kind of freak who has sex with animals, and that's why he needs to get canned.

Honest question: Why does that distinction matter? Why is one worse than the other?

And not that it really matters, but I believe he was talking about homosexuality and bestiality in the context of the Bible, which forbids both.

the former means he is a religious nutball who picks and chooses portions of the Bible to suit his needs, the latter means he is a bigot.

Yeah, you still haven't explained the distinction. I guess it's just more polite to call it a "sin" and leave it that, but explaining in more graphic nature why you find it distasteful is over the line?

I am sure there are ways to explain it in much elementary terms though I got it pretty simplified.  I guess it will remain one of those mysteries of the universe for you like super novas or the yeti.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2013, 04:08:28 PM »

Yeah, you still haven't explained the distinction. I guess it's just more polite to call it a "sin" and leave it that, but explaining in more graphic nature why you find it distasteful is over the line?

I am sure there are ways to explain it in much elementary terms though I got it pretty simplified.  I guess it will remain one of those mysteries of the universe for you like super novas or the yeti.

game.  set.  match. 

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »
He was implying that they are below him, because he loves vaginas and they love anuses.  It was 100% wrong for him to say.  If he had said he believed homosexuality was a sin and stopped, cool, let him be.  But he likened being a homosexual to some kind of freak who has sex with animals, and that's why he needs to get canned.

Honest question: Why does that distinction matter? Why is one worse than the other?

And not that it really matters, but I believe he was talking about homosexuality and bestiality in the context of the Bible, which forbids both.

the former means he is a religious nutball who picks and chooses portions of the Bible to suit his needs, the latter means he is a bigot.

Who would win in a fight, a super nova or a yeti?
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
I loved my grandfather very much. he had his flaws like everyone else, but he was great man overall and was kind to everyone he met.  if he were alive today he would probably agree with everything phil robertson said in that article.  I suspect the majority of you have a grandfather like that.  just something to think about.
What's your point? Your grandpa was a bigot? Cool story, bro!

:facepalm:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »
I loved my grandfather very much. he had his flaws like everyone else, but he was great man overall and was kind to everyone he met.  if he were alive today he would probably agree with everything phil robertson said in that article.  I suspect the majority of you have a grandfather like that.  just something to think about.

I think most people accept this.  The issue is, if you had a brand, would you want your grandpa telling people that or would you ask to maybe keep it to himself.

His "defenders" are saying crap that's much worse than he did.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
What's your point? Your grandpa was a bigot? Cool story, bro!

:dubious:

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »
Religious guy thinks gay people are going to hell.  Fascinating.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »
And black people enjoyed Jim Crow laws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

I think most people accept this.  The issue is, if you had a brand, would you want your grandpa telling people that or would you ask to maybe keep it to himself.

I don't think that most people accept this.  I think most people ignore this because it's really uncomfortable to think about.

but yes, the vocal defenders of what he said are much, much worse.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »

If he had stopped at "I believe homosexuality is a sin", no one would bat an eyelash.  That is where most intelligent people who hold these beliefs would have stopped.  The outrage comes from what he said afterwards.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »
Thanks for breaking that down for us, emawmeister

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »

If he had stopped at "I believe homosexuality is a sin", no one would bat an eyelash.  That is where most intelligent people who hold these beliefs would have stopped.  The outrage comes from what he said afterwards.

What did he say "afterwards"? I didn't read this whole thread. My aunt (who is openly gay) just brought this topic up and said that she is disappointed with the way the show/network handled it.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »

What did he say "afterwards"? I didn't read this whole thread. My aunt (who is openly gay) just brought this topic up and said that she is disappointed with the way the show/network handled it.
How so?

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »
Thanks for breaking that down for us, emawmeister

Are you done outing all of our grandparents, alive or dead, as hate spewing, venomous bigots yet McCarthy? Kick their asses, FanMan!

"“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

"whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I’m saying?"

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2013, 06:19:06 PM »
You left out bestiality.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
You left out bestiality.

I skimmed the article, didn't see the bestiality quote.   :dunno:

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »

Disgusting. Not surprised, though.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »
Actually, one of the most entertaining things of my life was watching my racist/bigoted grandpa have to change his tune after finding out my uncle "went the opposite way". For such a hateful son of a bitch, he opened up his mind for once. My grandma still drops the "N" word though, when mom shows her pics of me on Facebook. I know we can't change them, but man, I wanna shake them.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 19, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
Actually, one of the most entertaining things of my life was watching my racist/bigoted grandpa have to change his tune after finding out my uncle "went the opposite way". For such a hateful son of a bitch, he opened up his mind for once. My grandma still drops the "N" word though, when mom shows her pics of me on Facebook. I know we can't change them, but man, I wanna shake them.

Didn't you just call your female coworker a bitch/slut/whore?  It's fun to get all self-righteous every once in a while though.  Carry on.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »

Ok hold on here, being serious, just want to decipher what you wrote, racist/bigoted grampa changes tune because his son goes other way ( he is gay, or marries black gal?)  then gramma says n----r when she sees pictures of you on facebook.  :bwpopcorn:
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »

Didn't you just call your female coworker a bitch/slut/whore?  It's fun to get all self-righteous every once in a while though.  Carry on.
I never said I was perfect and I don't see what that has to do with this topic.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:27:00 PM by WackySquawk08 »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
If anyone wants to dissect the dude's comments in the article...

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson?currentPage=1

On when wild animals became wild.

"“Look at this,” he says, gesturing to the surrounding wilderness. “The Almighty gave us this. Genesis 9 is where the animals went wild, and God gave them wildness. After the flood, that’s when he made animals wild. Up until that time, everybody was vegetarian. After the flood, he said, ‘I’m giving you everything now. Animals are wild.’”

On non-p-in-vagee-sex. Quoted in context.

Out here in these woods, without any cameras around, Phil is free to say what he wants. Maybe a little too free. He’s got lots of thoughts on modern immorality, and there’s no stopping them from rushing out. Like this one:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

Perhaps we’ll be needing that seat belt after all.

On growing up in pre-civil-rights-era-Louisiana.

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

On his voting stance in Romney v. Obama 2012

“If I’m lost at three o’clock in a major metropolitan area...I ask myself: Where would I rather be trying to walk with my wife and children? One of the guys who’s running for president is out of Chicago, Illinois, and the other one is from Salt Lake City, Utah. [Editor’s note: Romney is from Boston, not Salt Lake City.] Where would I rather be turned around at three o’clock in the morning? I opted for Salt Lake City. I think it would be safer.

On repentance...

“We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.”

What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

On the types of things we should be repenting for.

Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.

Did he repent?  Though I'm not sure if his head shake was an actual answer to the question.

During Phil’s darkest days, in the early 1970s, he had to flee the state of Arkansas after he badly beat up a bar owner and the guy’s wife. Kay Robertson persuaded the bar owner not to press charges in exchange for most of the Robertsons’ life savings. (“A hefty price,” he notes in his memoir.) I ask Phil if he ever repented for that, as he wants America to repent—if he ever tracked down the bar owner and his wife to apologize for the assault. He shakes his head.

“I didn’t dredge anything back up. I just put it behind me.”

On Godless societies.

“For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it,” Phil tells me. “All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I’ll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That’s eighty years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups.”

On health insurance, kind of.

“Temporary is all you’re going to get with any kind of health care, except the health care I’m telling you about. That’s eternal health care, and it’s free.... I’ve opted to go with eternal health care instead of blowing money on these insurance schemes.”

On gun-ownership (kind of)

Time for the crossbow. Phil steps in front of the ATV to move the bottle so that I have a clear shot. I jokingly pantomime grabbing at the crossbow to shoot him.

Just stay there, Phil! That’s perfect!

He laughs and pats his pant leg: “That’s why I keep an extra sidearm here.”

Duck guy evangelizing to the writer.

“So you and your woman: Are y’all Bible people?”

Not really, I’m sorry to say.

“If you simply put your faith in Jesus coming down in flesh, through a human being, God becoming flesh living on the earth, dying on the cross for the sins of the world, being buried, and being raised from the dead—yours and mine and everybody else’s problems will be solved. And the next time we see you, we will say: ‘You are now a brother. Our brother.’ So then we look at you totally different then. See what I’m saying?”

I think so?

We hop back in the ATV and plow toward the sunset, back to the Robertson home. There will be no family dinner tonight. No cameras in the house. No rowdy squirrel-hunting stories from back in the day. There will be only the realest version of Phil Robertson, hosting a private Bible study with a woman who, according to him, “has been on cocaine for years and is making her decision to repent. I’m going to point her in the right direction.”

Of course Phil reminisces about a better time. Well, a better time for him probably, but not necessarily for others. 

It’s the direction he would like to point everyone: back to the woods. Back to the pioneer spirit. Back to God. “Why don’t we go back to the old days?” he asked me at one point.

The purple quotes were not part or the narrative, but placed in the article as stand-alones.

I would agree that his quotes on the lives of black people in pre-civil-rights-era Louisiana are the most concerning.  At their best they're severely naive, at their worst willfully ignorant.  Obv. he isn't a fan of homosexual activity, but doesn't go deeply into the ins and outs of his though process regarding the situation, and he doesn't hold homosexuality out as worse or different than other sins, like the ones he listed and admitted to engaging in. 

Despite disagreeing with him on many of the issues, including homosexuality, I don't sense any real hatred or bigotry, though it could be there.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:12:01 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »
His point he was trying to make right or wrong in regards to blacks was that they were Godly and thus happy before government stepped in and in Phils mind began to water down that Godliness.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »
His point he was trying to make right or wrong in regards to blacks was that they were Godly and thus happy before government stepped in and in Phils mind began to water down that Godliness.
holding that idea for African-Americans alone is probably a concern itself.