Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 218935 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #1675 on: May 28, 2014, 10:30:31 AM »
Trim, correct me if I'm wrong, and I trust your knowledge of contract stuff vastly more than my own, but are you saying that, because the handbook/ code doesn't explicitly say that a player can't just ask for a transfer a second time then Currie would be under no obligation to deny any subsequent requests for transfer?

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 28, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
Good question.   Maybe Romero wanted an immediate answer??   :dunno:   Maybe her tone wasn't as conciliatory, or maybe she didn't tell Currie what he wanted to hear the first time around?     :dunno:

Yes, Leti is the one that has demonstrated a consistent pattern of difficulty communicating with other humans.

Yes, nothing says difficulty in communicating with other humans when you can get multi-millionaires and billionaires (you know those happy go lucky hardcore bankers, oil, industrial and big ag types)  to open up their checkbooks and write checks for large sums of money. 

Let me see, knowing you, your baseline for being able to communicate with other humans in John Currie's case begins and ends with Frank Martin.   Laughable to say the least.

Yes, Frank Martin is the first (and last) person that thinks Currie is a weirdo.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
laughable to say the least

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 28, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
I believe we can put one William Snyder on the list of people that communication issues with John Currie (the Jim Leavitt for DC saga as exhibit A)

Also, I wish I was cool enough to get wasted in cRustyville but I am really just a plain old Agendite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 28, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
Good question.   Maybe Romero wanted an immediate answer??   :dunno:   Maybe her tone wasn't as conciliatory, or maybe she didn't tell Currie what he wanted to hear the first time around?     :dunno:

Yes, Leti is the one that has demonstrated a consistent pattern of difficulty communicating with other humans.

Yes, nothing says difficulty in communicating with other humans when you can get multi-millionaires and billionaires (you know those happy go lucky hardcore bankers, oil, industrial and big ag types)  to open up their checkbooks and write checks for large sums of money. 

Let me see, knowing you, your baseline for being able to communicate with other humans in John Currie's case begins and ends with Frank Martin.   Laughable to say the least.

Yes, Frank Martin is the first (and last) person that thinks Currie is a weirdo.

If you're going by the weirdo matrix, than we could write an entire book on the inherent weirdness of individuals associated with K-State and K-State athletics just in the last 20 years alone.   

Really??

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: May 28, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
fiscally i'm a too cool for schooler, but socially i'm pretty agendite.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: May 28, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
Trim, correct me if I'm wrong, and I trust your knowledge of contract stuff vastly more than my own, but are you saying that, because the handbook/ code doesn't explicitly say that a player can't just ask for a transfer a second time then Currie would be under no obligation to deny any subsequent requests for transfer?

I would like a clear answer to this as well. some articles have suggested that currie could grant a release at any point committee be damned and that the committee was only for the student to appeal a denial. if this isn't the case, is there a waiting period that a student had to go through to request a transfer again? do you get one request in your time at KState? is currie bound by his initial rejection?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: May 28, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »

Yes, but it's not even a matter of technicalities or something not being explicitly stated.  That's simply how appeals work.  It should've also been fine for Currie to reverse his initial decision as opposed to making a "2nd" decision.  The committee is simply hearing an appeal and deciding whether Currie was/is within his authority to make the decision he made.  If he'd have subsequently made a different/new decision in Leti's favor, it's unlikely Leti would have appealed and the committee (and its prior affirmation of Currie's 1st decision) would have no role in the matter.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: May 28, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »
so why is the AD acting like it was bound by the committees decision?  :confused:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: May 28, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »
so why is the AD acting like it was bound by the committees decision?  :confused:

That, and is the committee/ non-athletic side acting like the AD was bound by said decision?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: May 28, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »

Seemingly because Pat Bosco isn't on twitter.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: May 28, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »

That, and is the committee/ non-athletic side acting like the AD was bound by said decision?

No, they had their hearing and affirmed Currie's initial decision.  That's all the committee could exist for.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: May 28, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
So has it been settled yet?

A.  Committee members were athletic department shills

or

B.  Independent thinkers who weren't buying what Leti Romero was trying to sell

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: May 28, 2014, 11:43:56 AM »
So has it been settled yet?

A.  Committee members were athletic department shills

or

B.  Independent thinkers who weren't buying what Leti Romero was trying to sell

B

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1689 on: May 28, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
If only there was a recording or a transcript of what happened during this appeal...

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: May 28, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »

If only there was a recording or a transcript of what happened during this appeal...

We should make a pod cast of it, and have posters play the roles of committee members.  We give everyone some direction on how the plot needs to go, and their characters motivations, and then just roll tape.  It will be like a Christopher Guest movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: May 28, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »
i think the athletic dept has made it pretty clear that academics just gets to call all the shots moving forward on everything athletic dept related. player wants to transfer? dunno. only pat bosco can decide. new jumbotron? ask the english professor if ok. future football schedule? check with the ArchE dept. so on and so forth.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: May 28, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
I have an idea, let's stop talking about this bc it's a lame topic of conversation

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »

We should make a pod cast of it, and have posters play the roles of committee members.  We give everyone some direction on how the plot needs to go, and their characters motivations, and then just roll tape.  It will be like a Christopher Guest movie.

I think we found a segment for the upcoming revival of the goEMAW podcats  :excited:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: May 28, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »
There should be no appeal process at all, just let the AD decide.   Take heavy handers like Pat Bosco out of the equation.

There should be no campus involvement whatsoever with athletics, remove all current members of the K-State Athletics Inc. Board of Directors that are employed by the academic side of the university and replace with outsiders, preferably major boosters.   The K-State Big 12 Faculty Rep should only be given to someone who acts solely as a mouthpiece of the athletic director.    Academic organizations seeking recognition at K-State athletic events should be forced to pay the full rack as any other commercial advertiser would be asked to pay.    No athletic department employees shall serve any dual roles as advisers, consultants, faculty members or staff et. al. of the university itself.

The Athletic Director shall remain a permanent voting member of the University President's cabinet into perpetuity, and shall hold voting roles on all relevant University boards/bodies. 

We want a university the athletic department can be proud of.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #1695 on: May 28, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »
There should be no appeal process at all, just let the AD decide.   Take heavy handers like Pat Bosco out of the equation.

There should be no campus involvement whatsoever with athletics, remove all current members of the K-State Athletics Inc. Board of Directors that are employed by the academic side of the university and replace with outsiders, preferably major boosters.   The K-State Big 12 Faculty Rep should only be given to someone who acts solely as a mouthpiece of the athletic director.    Academic organizations seeking recognition at K-State athletic events should be forced to pay the full rack as any other commercial advertiser would be asked to pay.    No athletic department employees shall serve any dual roles as advisers, consultants, faculty members or staff et. al. of the university itself.

The Athletic Director shall remain a permanent voting member of the University President's cabinet into perpetuity, and shall hold voting roles on all relevant University boards/bodies. 

We want a university the athletic department can be proud of.

JFC Dax

:flush:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 28, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »

This is an awesome idea.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 28, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »

This is an awesome idea.
I agree, with one caveat. I don't think you need to give any direction. Simply pick the right posters for the right role and let it develop naturally.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 28, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »
I like the AD having the final say. I think the conference should handle any "appeals." Why, because the conference office has to certify the NLI. And the appeal should just be a simple review of information followed by a recommendation made to the AD, then the AD makes the final decision.

The other issue with NLI process is that in requesting a release the student athlete has to compile and provide a ton of information, and one little error can result in the request being denied or an appeal also being denied.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 28, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »

This is an awesome idea.
I agree, with one caveat. I don't think you need to give any direction. Simply pick the right posters for the right role and let it develop naturally.

Dax should be Bosco. Trim should be Currie.