Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 222983 times)

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #1150 on: May 21, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
Anyone else wonder why this hasn't been ran up the legal flagpole yet?  So far a lawyer has only asked for her full release...  Wouldn't you think if there wasn't more to this story then wouldn't they look at it as an opportunity to fleece the University?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 21, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
Anyone else wonder why this hasn't been ran up the legal flagpole yet?  So far a lawyer has only asked for her full release...  Wouldn't you think if there wasn't more to this story then wouldn't they look at it as an opportunity to fleece the University?
It all in an order of steps that need be done before you sue anyone.  If K-State complies, then case is closed...CASE CLOSED.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 21, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
No, she's got no case for damages against KSU.*  The university is acting within the scope of NCAA rules and regulations.  Not to mention, her case would get immediately dismissed for failure to exhaust her administrative remedies, since she hasn't yet pursued the route of appealing her release to the NCAA yet, at least according to anything I've seen.  (Maybe she can't since she got a conditional release already -- I'm not sure.)

Her lawyer is a rube for talking to the press.  Say "the matter is running it's course" to the public, and demand a full release in private.

*Although I say "no case," a good lawyer can always come up with something.  And I might be underestimating how horrible KSU's legal team is (it totally embarrased itself with the Krause/Prince thing).
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 21, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
rationalization is a hell of a drug.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 21, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
MANHATTAN — Kansas State athletic director John Currie is working to grant Leticia Romero a conditional release from her basketball scholarship, according to ESPN’s “Outside the Lines.”

Currie wrote to a Kansas State’s appeals committee, led by K-State Vice President of Student Life Pat Bosco, on May 5 asking it to reconsider its ruling to deny Romero a release from her athletic scholarship, according to the ESPN report.

In the letter, Currie wrote that he had concerns about tampering from K-State’s former women’s basketball coaching staff, but that new information had come to light in the transfer case. He also wrote: “I believe it is in this student-athlete’s best interest for the committee to reconvene to consider this new information and potentially approve her request for a conditional transfer release.”

Romero, from Las Palmas, Spain, was the Wildcats’ top women’s basketball player a year ago. As a freshman, she led the team in scoring (14.2 points), rebounds (5.8), assists (4.9) and minutes (32.6) last season as a freshman. She was chosen Big 12 Freshman of the Week four times.

But she asked for a release from her scholarship shortly after K-State fired the coach she signed with, Deb Patterson, and hired Jeff Mittie as her replacement. She decided her playing style wasn’t a good fit with her new coach. But her request was denied by K-State officials. She then appealed that ruling before a committee last month, and was once again denied.

Without a scholarship release, Romero can still enroll at another school, but she won’t be eligible for an athletic scholarship for a year.

Her fight to transfer has made national headlines. “Outside the Lines” will feature her during its 2 p.m. broadcast Wednesday. A preview of the story is online.

Romero told the program that she presented K-State with a list of approximately 100 schools when she initially asked for her transfer. K-State’s compliance office denied her release to all of them. She said K-State has since allowed programs not on her initial list of schools to contact her, but she only has interest in those 100 schools.

Earlier this month, it was announced that Patterson was hired as an assistant coach by new Northern Colorado coach Kamie Ethridge, a former K-State assistant. Ethridge’s staff also includes former Wildcat assistants Shalee Lehning, as associate head coach, and Kelly Moylan. Romero told “Outside the Lines” she won’t transfer to Northern Colorado.

Romero said she met with Currie after her appeal was denied. Romero told “Outside the Lines” that Currie said his hands were tied on the matter.

“What he said was, ‘I want you to be released,’ ” Romero told “Outside the Lines.” “ ‘Coach Mittie wants you to be released. The athletic department wants you to be released. But now this is not on my hands. It’s in the committee’s hands. I can’t do anything about it.’ ”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/05/21/3467286/report-currie-working-to-grant.html#storylink=cpy

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: May 21, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 21, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »
well, take your time, committee.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:25 PM »
new information had come to light = former coaching staff getting employment

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 21, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
i would be happy about this development, but i'm concerned that currie isn't telling the whole truth.  he needs to accept responsibility for his role in this debacle.  he's no virgin in white.

although, i don't care about john currie, i care about leticia romero.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 21, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
:lol:

The one negative thing about Leti we can all agree on is that she declined to give gE exclusive interviews on all this in favor of talking with fledgling east coast basic cable station ESPN.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 21, 2014, 12:47:12 PM »
And I might be underestimating how horrible KSU's legal team is (it totally embarrased itself with the Krause/Prince thing).

#NeverForget

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 21, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
I'm so glad we brought all this negative pub on ourselves over a lady hoops player  :flush:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 21, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Nice, K-State on OTL!  :ksu:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 21, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »
I know many of you jump at any opportunity to make John Currie look bad, but a word of caution: using the word of Leti Romero to do so here is not going to end up being a good look.

remember when cc posted this?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 21, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »
Now I really wish Currie and I were going to nutPAK tonight.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
fingers crossed that she finds a playing style that matches what she's looking for, #blessed

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »
I know many of you jump at any opportunity to make John Currie look bad, but a word of caution: using the word of Leti Romero to do so here is not going to end up being a good look.

remember when cc posted this?

:lol:  kstate.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 21, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »
How many high school recruits do you think we have chased away because of this situation?

Probably none.  (except maybe women's bball but that sport doesn't matter)
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 21, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 21, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
lol

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: May 21, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
it's even worse than i thought :lol:

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 21, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
Woof.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 21, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »
looks like CC was right all along

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 21, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »
welp

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile