Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 221375 times)

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #1075 on: May 12, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »
Wonder why they are ending up a Northern Colorado.   :fatty:

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 13, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
So how hard are we going to melt down when Currie fucks up Sams transfer?  I say pretty hard.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 13, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »
So how hard are we going to melt down when Currie fucks up Sams transfer?  I say pretty hard.

I heard he was given a transfer already allowing him to play right away.  :dunno:

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:51 AM »

I heard he was given a transfer already allowing him to play right away.  :dunno:

according to his mom he hasn't be granted a release yet.  Just asked for one.

edited: now he has been released to play in FCS...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:24:52 PM by catz »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 13, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »
he's not transferring within division 1, he doesn't need a release, but keep up the great work

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: May 13, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
he's not transferring within division 1, he doesn't need a release, but keep up the great work

If he didn't need a release to go to FCS then 1. why did we give him one? and 2. why did we say he couldn't go to Stephen F. Austin? 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 13, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »

why did we say he couldn't go to Stephen F. Austin?

Because we play them.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 13, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »

If he didn't need a release to go to FCS then 1. why did we give him one? and 2. why did we say he couldn't go to Stephen F. Austin? 

boom ba da be boom da boom be bop!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1083 on: May 13, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »
Did the circus break down here and the clowns decided to live in the thread?  Because what I am saying is that there are a lot of clowns posting lately.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 13, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »
Did the circus break down here and the clowns decided to live in the thread?  Because what I am saying is that there are a lot of clowns posting lately.

did you like your GoT character? i thought it was pretty good.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1085 on: May 13, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »

did you like your GoT character? i thought it was pretty good.
I do like Ciaran Hinds, but I see myself as more of a Oberyn...

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »

Because we play them.

But if his assumption was that he didn't need a release to go to  FCS, if he didn't then we couldn't block him from going to SFA. 

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 13, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »

Because we play them.

But if his assumption was that he didn't need a release to go to  FCS, if he didn't then we couldn't block him from going to SFA.

If I recall right you can't transfer to any team scheduled to play your previous team already. It is a conflict of interest.

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 13, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »

To answer my own question, he needs a release and written permission from our AD to talk to any NCAA school regardless if it is D1 or D2.  So yes, he did need us to release him.  (see the bottom of page 9, top of 10)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2013.pdf

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 14, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
KSU women's basketball camp.

http://ksuhoops.com/women/index.php?hq_e=el&hq_m=681419&hq_l=2&hq_v=8249234d1c

Once you enroll, you will NOT be permitted to withdraw!
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 15, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »
Regional sports talk guy was just talking about how UNC B-ball's single year APR score dropped to 917 because 2 players left in bad academic standing.  Yet, if I heard the guy correctly (I caught the tell end of the rant) over 90% (I believe he said before the 2 bad losses it was over 95% of the players left in good standing over a 4 year period) of the players over a 4 year period had left in good academic standing. 

The single year APR of 917, brought the multi-year APR down 20 points from 959 in '11-'12 to 938 in '12-'13.   

As an aside, given some of UNC's course work, I would think it would be pretty hard to leave in poor academic standing.   But that's immaterial to the overall theme.   

Just a couple of guys leaving in bad standing and UNC goes from breathing relatively easy, to having to sweat it out a little bit. 

Of course some have already concluded that it's a fait accompli that a certain women's basketball player at K-State will continue to go to to class and leave in good academic standing and any concern about an APR hit should never be a consideration.  Of course the same people have already jumped to a myriad of other conclusions.

For the record, I'm all for releasing the player with restrictions and doing it quickly.  But the idea that some have (by implication) that K-State should essentially turn the athletic administrative offices into a turnstyle of transfers . . . take a number, wait in line, rubber stamp.  Is idiotic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 16, 2014, 04:58:34 AM »
Regional sports talk guy was just talking about how UNC B-ball's single year APR score dropped to 917 because 2 players left in bad academic standing.  Yet, if I heard the guy correctly (I caught the tell end of the rant) over 90% (I believe he said before the 2 bad losses it was over 95% of the players left in good standing over a 4 year period) of the players over a 4 year period had left in good academic standing. 

The single year APR of 917, brought the multi-year APR down 20 points from 959 in '11-'12 to 938 in '12-'13.   

As an aside, given some of UNC's course work, I would think it would be pretty hard to leave in poor academic standing.   But that's immaterial to the overall theme.   

Just a couple of guys leaving in bad standing and UNC goes from breathing relatively easy, to having to sweat it out a little bit. 

Of course some have already concluded that it's a fait accompli that a certain women's basketball player at K-State will continue to go to to class and leave in good academic standing and any concern about an APR hit should never be a consideration.  Of course the same people have already jumped to a myriad of other conclusions.

For the record, I'm all for releasing the player with restrictions and doing it quickly.  But the idea that some have (by implication) that K-State should essentially turn the athletic administrative offices into a turnstyle of transfers . . . take a number, wait in line, rubber stamp.  Is idiotic.

That's all nice dax, it really is.

For the sake of context here, UNC basketball's APR wasn't in any great shakes before the two transfers who left in poor academic standing. K-State women's basketball. Certainly you know that those guys were talking about APR because the NCAA just released the APR scores. K-State as an institution is in great shape and K-State women's basketball is doing very well with an APR if 985. So we're dealing with a team with an already very high APR as opposed to the low one with UNC basketball & we're dealing with one player that is not an academic risk. So while the yarn spun by some local yokel radio guy in North Carolina is enlightening it is in no way shape or form relevant to the conversation about Leti.

BTW if this were about APR they could have cut her loose the second the semester ended.

And yes K-State should rubber stamp transfers, it's done at K-State and most schools fir the most part anyway. We have no problem taking transfers, even ones who weren't released so we shouldn't have a problem letting them go. It won't be an issue for too much longer anyway, it's going to get changed either voluntary or via lawsuit. The transfer rules are just more of the archaic rules that amateur athletes are held to that hasn't changed with the times. There is no way, in this era of a player's rights revolution, that schools are going to be able to only give one year scholarships but continue to have the right to restrict movement when that year expires. One of my biggest frustrations are short sighted morons like Bilas focus on paying players instead of the LoI system, it's a form of indentured servitude and it must be stopped.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 16, 2014, 07:41:28 AM »
That's a really great reply MIR, I mean do you even think about what you say, or do you just save your responses over the years in MS Word and then cut and paste various parts?

UNC basketball was "no great shakes" well, hmm, just 3 scoring periods ago, UNC hoops APR 4 year running average was 989.   Three or four bad apples over a 3 or 4 year period and now they've gone from basically cruising through the APR process to being on the hotseat.   Their 2009-2010 score of 961 falls off the running average next year and now they have no margin for error. 

No one with a brain running an athletic department and up against these types of running average measurement methodologies sits back and thinks they're in good shape into perpetuity because of what happened in the past. 

That's a great soapbox on the LOI an indentured servitude and all that.  It's the same spiel we hear in nearly every quarter about college athletics.   But that's still no reason why any school should treat the transfer process as a rubber stamp.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 16, 2014, 07:45:58 AM »
That's a really great reply MIR, I mean do you even think about what you say, or do you just save your responses over the years in MS Word and then cut and paste various parts?

This is fantastic.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 16, 2014, 07:50:18 AM »

This is fantastic.

I thought the same thing.

Thanks  :love:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: May 16, 2014, 08:45:52 AM »

UNC basketball was "no great shakes" well, hmm, just 3 scoring periods ago, UNC hoops APR 4 year running average was 989.  Three or four bad apples over a 3 or 4 year period and now they've gone from basically cruising through the APR process to being on the hotseat.   Their 2009-2010 score of 961 falls off the running average next year and now they have no margin for error. 

No one with a brain running an athletic department and up against these types of running average measurement methodologies sits back and thinks they're in good shape into perpetuity because of what happened in the past. 

That's a great soapbox on the LOI an indentured servitude and all that.  It's the same spiel we hear in nearly every quarter about college athletics.   But that's still no reason why any school should treat the transfer process as a rubber stamp.

Again, neither of these things are a factor for K-State in this instance. If these were the reasons K-State's blocking Leti, which they're clearly not I'm confused as to why you are continuing this farcical hypothetical as if it's fact, then they should use the same reasoning to block literally every single transfer until the end of time. "Nope sorry you can't transfer from here because in two years some other golfers may come around and have trouble going to class. We realize you go to class and won't personally have a negative effect on our APR but we have to protect ourselves from the possibility of other people being poor students later on down the line."

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 16, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
So, are we actually going to not release Leti? Even though all that the tampering got those gals was enough leverage to land jobs at Northern crap State University? Seriously? We're this petty? I've felt pretty neutral through this whole process, and still think Leti should probably just go play for another good basketball coach somewhere else instead of following this cluster eff around, but still...let her go play at a shitty school. Who the eff cares?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:37:38 AM by ksudeuce »
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 16, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »

UNC basketball was "no great shakes" well, hmm, just 3 scoring periods ago, UNC hoops APR 4 year running average was 989.  Three or four bad apples over a 3 or 4 year period and now they've gone from basically cruising through the APR process to being on the hotseat.   Their 2009-2010 score of 961 falls off the running average next year and now they have no margin for error. 

Again, neither of these things are a factor for K-State in this instance. If these were the reasons K-State's blocking Leti, which they're clearly not I'm confused as to why you are continuing this farcical hypothetical as if it's fact, then they should use the same reasoning to block literally every single transfer until the end of time. "Nope sorry you can't transfer from here because in two years some other golfers may come around and have trouble going to class. We realize you go to class and won't personally have a negative effect on our APR but we have to protect ourselves from the possibility of other people being poor students later on down the line."

If there's anyone that's dealing in hypotheticals and speculation it is you.   

I've marked my discussion with a myriad of caveats.   What I am attacking is this idiocy that K-State or any other school should have a rubber stamp transfer policy.   I brought up several specific examples of why rubber stamp transfers should never be a policy, one of them being APR. You tried to pooh-pooh away any consideration of APR impact with Captain Obvious points, and it doesn't take much to figure out that just a couple of player bailing in basketball and APR can be impacted significantly. 

I've already clearly stated that Leti should be allowed to transfer with restrictions.  There are rumors about that she does want to go to Northern Colorado, and that's great, but K-State should never have a rubber stamp transfer policy for any player who wants to leave with former coaches who were terminated (and rightfully so) for performance.  See, that's another specific example of why there should never be a rubber stamp transfer policy.   To allow outgoing staffs to have open season (if that indeed is the case and there are strong indications that is the case) on current players would be the stupidest of policies/procedures, particularly when the transfer request is made (supposedly) before the ink is dry on the last paychecks for the former staff. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 16, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
So, are we actually going to not release Leti? Even though all that the tampering got those gals was enough leverage to land jobs at Northern crap State University? Seriously? We're this petty? I've felt pretty neutral through this whole process, and still think Leti should probably just go play for another good basketball coach somewhere else instead of following this cluster eff around, but still...let her go play at a shitty school. Who the eff cares?

Yeah, at this point its time to live and Leti live.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 16, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
I would tend to agree, if Leti wants to follow that model of mediocrity, that perpetual state of inherent weirdness around.  Let her.

I still it's bad policy to not at least tap the brakes on any transfer request that centers around current players following former staff.