Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 218989 times)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #975 on: May 07, 2014, 08:06:51 AM »
such a stupid hill to die on.  let her go and save face.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 07, 2014, 08:12:26 AM »

Yeah, the message (even if it was a dumb one) has been sent. Its time to Leti Romero whereever she wants to.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 07, 2014, 08:14:42 AM »
hey CC, how much longer till they release her? It's gotta be soon.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 07, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »
How much better shape would the KSU AD be in if all personnel and student-athlete decisions were decided by a panel made up of the best goEMAW'ers (myself, sys, kat daddy)? or at least consulted with us.

"hey, are we going to look like complete fuckups if we do this?"
"yes, who told you to do that?"
"some guy"
"well don't"
"k"
:thumbsup:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 07, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »
what if the government expels her from the country since she's not even an american (patriot act) and then currie still won't release her and we have a federal war between the US and KS?  who would control the USA's missiles in KS?  it would be much like the civil war.  US citizens who support leti (known spaniard, non-us citizen, non-ksu cat) considered treasonous?  does US bomb NBAF and release toxins which poison meat goat facility? 

can state of KS survive the battle against DC?  honestly i think nebraska would join our side and maybe the dakotas too.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 07, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
what if the government expels her from the country since she's not even an american (patriot act) and then currie still won't release her and we have a federal war between the US and KS?  who would control the USA's missiles in KS?  it would be much like the civil war.  US citizens who support leti (known spaniard, non-us citizen, non-ksu cat) considered treasonous?  does US bomb NBAF and release toxins which poison meat goat facility? 

can state of KS survive the battle against DC?  honestly i think nebraska would join our side and maybe the dakotas too.

Ft. Riley will have the 1st infantry division of Wildcat republic also. Won't even have to change names.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 07, 2014, 09:25:38 AM »
Well, if ESPN gets its way, then the administration's policy will have paid off: no school will tamper with K-State student athletes, because the student athletes K-State will be able to get won't be good enough to go anywhere else.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:39:33 AM by slimz »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 07, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
This is going to end with Fitz being interviewed on ESPN trying to use the tampering defense and just making the whole thing worse.

it's snowballing nicely so I can see it

KATDADDY SOCK! 

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 07, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
The only downside to this whole thing is if no one has actually talked to Leti.  Is that really a possibility? I find it hard to believe she is part of some elaborate lying scheme.  KState would save face be sitting down with her and keeping her up to date on the process.  It is unlikely an 18 yr old anywhere would understand the complications that come with staffing changes.  It is also likely they could have swayed her to be positive about the experience had the university been up front with her.  Honestly, I would bet the farm she will get her release before the summer.

Saw this in the comments, is it true?

"Last year Kansas State did not release a football player Manase Foketi after he graduated and wanted to go play near home. If you go to Kansas state it is like going to prison. stay away kids."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 07, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
hopefully espn boycotts us too, no more televised games

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »

Yeah, the message (even if it was a dumb one) has been sent. Its time to Leti Romero whereever she wants to.

:D
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 07, 2014, 11:00:51 AM »
Women's basketball, seriously?!  No one cares except espn, which now has a scape goat to blame all ncaa issues on. If they put the full court press on KState, does the animal lose his spot on the NCAA steering committee?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »
I spent about 10 minutes poking around the internet.

An athlete whose release is denied can appeal to a committee at his school that is outside the athletic department and to the NCAA itself.

This article says that, too. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/4/8/4189926/ncaa-transfer-rules-rushel-shell-pitt-arizona-state

Is Romero appealing to the NCAA?

Someone else brought this up earlier:
A program is dinged a "retention point" under APR rules if the departing player does not have a grade-point average of at least 2.6. Low overall APR scores can jeopardize a program's postseason eligibility.

Romero said she "passed" her classes, but might this be the issue?  (Admittedly, Currie's vague tweets didn't indicate it was.)

Finally, how does a recruit keep track of where not to play?  St. Joe, Wisconsin, FIU, Pitt, Houston, Maryland, Texas Tech, Nevada, etc. popped up in Google searches of the issue.  (K-State didn't... yet.)
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 07, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
Women's basketball, seriously?!  No one cares except espn, which now has a scape goat to blame all ncaa issues on. If they put the full court press on KState, does the animal lose his spot on the NCAA steering committee?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

That's why it was so incredibly dumb for Currie not to grant the release in the first place.  It could only serve to make K-State look bad.  Nothing to be gained.  It doesn't deter tampering.  Any school that recruits against K-State has to be enjoying this. 

Cost: we look like petty villains over our women's basketball program vs benefit: Romero is leaving one way or the other no matter what we do and whoever tampered doesn't give a crap if we give her a hard time and will thoroughly enjoy us looking like rough ridin' idiots in the press.  :confused:  Everybody that didn't have crap for their brain knew that. 

Don't give a crap why a players wants to leave, if there are signs of tampering you don't want to roll over. You don't want to become a target for future tampering. It is simple cause and effect, player gets tampered with ====> block transfer, make and big stink about it and eventually release player with certain provisions.

You think the people who "tampered" give a crap if Currie plays hard ball with her?  Yeah, it'll never happen again because Currie made himself look like a dumbfuck in the press by being a tough guy to a girl from Spain.  Excellent logic here.  I know Bo Ryan came out looking amazing and Uthoff didn't end up at Iowa or anything.  Mission accomplished, those dirty fucks won't ever do that again.

I support it fully if K-State legitimately believes the player has been tampered with.

It'll only make K-State look bad and she'll still leave to the program that she wants to go to.  It also won't stop tampering in the future.  How is negative press for the KSU AD a deterrent to opposing programs tampering, particularly when they still get the player?  Unless Currie is going to get some cheaters outed and busted, then he just looks like an ineffectual little bitch.

:lol:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 07, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
Leti cry, if the tears fall down like rain
Leti sing, if it eases all her pain
Leti go, Leti walk right out on me
And if the sun comes up tomorrow
Leti be, Leti be.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 07, 2014, 12:02:09 PM »
Leti cry, if the tears fall down like rain
Leti sing, if it eases all her pain
Leti go, Leti walk right out on me
And if the sun comes up tomorrow
Leti be, Leti be.

:thumbsup:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 07, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
It is not incredibly dumb for Currie not to grant the release if the player is going to damage the APR scores.  I know no one here has all the facts, in fact, everyone here and ESPN has the absolute bare minimum level of facts . .  but possibly they wanted her to complete the semester and hopefully do well?

It's a simple set of questions.  Why should K-State just automatically give in to her demands if she is part of some package deal for a former K-State coach, and why should K-State just automatically give in if her transfer is going to damage K-State's APR?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 07, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
It is not incredibly dumb for Currie not to grant the release if the player is going to damage the APR scores.  I know no one here has all the facts, in fact, everyone here and ESPN has the absolute bare minimum level of facts . .  but possibly they wanted her to complete the semester and hopefully do well?

It's a simple set of questions.  Why should K-State just automatically give in to her demands if she is part of some package deal for a former K-State coach, and why should K-State just automatically give in if her transfer is going to damage K-State's APR?

Did anyone tell her that's why she's not being released? Because it doesn't seem like anyone gave her an explanation.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 07, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »

Did anyone tell her that's why she's not being released? Because it doesn't seem like anyone gave her an explanation.

:dunno:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 07, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »
It's weird that neither CC or Currie mentioned APR concerns earlier if that's the problem.  They just talked about tampering.  It's probably APR though. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 07, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
First of all  :ROFL: at Currie and Schulz for allowing this to drag on for a month. Leti is not playing here next year, so these idiots are continuing to allow Kansas State to be trashed in the national media for what? Can't blame Bilas anymore. Also when this happened I expressed concern that this could potentially hurt other sports because this is an athletic department policy and not a women's basketball issue. The more this lingers the more of a possibility that exists for this to happen. It isn't even negative recruiting, the athletic director publicly said this is a policy of Kansas State Athletics, it isn't hard or dirty to point this out.

Because every university in the history of the world has a habit of doing shitty things to people to protect their self interest. K-State is not any worse than your average school. There may be a lesser chance of having this particular shitty thing happen to a recruit somewhere else, but I'm sure there's an equal chance that something just as shitty will happen to them.

First of all a student athlete not getting his/her release is rare, it's even rare here. The difference is when it happens to a school they go immediately into no comment mode. We didn't get caught a la Wisconsin Men's Basketball and then didn't comment when pressed by the media. It was internet rumor and then the athletic department went public with it before anyone of any significance found out. They figured that if they were out ahead of the story telling their side, they wouldn't take a hit :ROFL: at having no understanding about how the media and the public think of student athlete issues. The "it's just women's basketball" thing that people like GOSP does is interesting because I think a women's basketball player is more sympathetic to the media and the public than a star football or men's basketball player would be. I'm floored that the administration of K-State didn't and continue to not figure this out. Are these guys insulated by too many yes men? I'm sure Mittie can't care all that much, if he tells his bosses to let her go will they listen?

Hey look it's a dax trick!!! If she was granted her transfer in April, of course she would have finished the semester here, what kind of ignorant talking point is this? Do you really think she would have done all of the work leading up to 3 weeks before finals only to drop out and then make herself ineligible for next season, wherever she's going? Even if she decided to just drop out in April K-State Women's Basketball is in NO danger of APR trouble, literally none. K-State WBB and women's volleyball are two of the most highly academic achieving sports teams men or women, in the Big 12 conference and has been for a very very long time. This isn't even a matter of debate and Dax knows it, the athletic department have been using this selling point since Deb got here, the first season of the Big 12 Conference's existence.

The APR had literally no bearing on this decision, it makes me smile seeing the excuse machine working. Dunno, seems it would be easier to stop making excuses and do the right thing.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 07, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
I knew it wouldn't take much to set off perpetually angry MIR.

We get it MIR, you live in a world where K-State should have an open door policy that allows student athletes to get any and all transfer requests approved no matter what the circumstances. 

The high APR of women's sports is absolutely immaterial to the discussion, why take a hit because some player wants to bail possibly as part of a package deal with a former coach? 

You don't really have a clue about anything, you're just soap boxing it just like everyone else.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 07, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
I think we can all agree it's been about the APR all along. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 07, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »
Yes, set off! Look at Dax pointing out the angry black man sitting over in the corner smiling. The two :ROFL: I used in my post gave my anger away, huh? Also did you guys see when dax said that they didn't release her possibly because of APR issues, I pointed out that WBB has no APR issues nor the immediate potential of one and then he completely changed his stance.

The high APR of women's sports is absolutely immaterial to the discussion, why take a hit because some player wants to bail possibly as part of a package deal with a former coach? 

What happened in those 35 minutes? Did you see that K-State WBB had 6 academic all-conference players this past season?

For the future, instead of going with the amazingly lazy angry black man card, you should just say, "I guess I was wrong about that." I know it's hard for you but after the first time admitting you're wrong gets much easier, easier than saying racist crap anyway.