Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 221425 times)

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #725 on: April 22, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »
At this point can we all agree that John seems to be a whiz with the numbers but is a complete disaster at dealing with actual people?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 22, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
never thought i'd say this, but this thread could use a little katdaddy

Could it possibly be that Romero is close to her and that she would like to maintain their relationship if possible and vice versa?  Is that so rough ridin' out of bounds?  An actual honest to goodness player-coach relationship exists that they mutually value?

are you talking about lesbians?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 22, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
I enjoy that beat reporting has now come to reading twitter and compiling tweets.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 22, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »
At this point can we all agree that John seems to be a whiz with the numbers but is a complete disaster at dealing with actual people?

I'm pretty sure the $$'s that make the numbers look real pretty comes from people that I would suppose John Currie convinced to part with their $$. So, he can't be terrible at it, but there is a difference between having a beer with someone and getting out in front of a national story without breaking the law or totally rough ridin' up in some other way.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 22, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
I'm still trying to future this out.  We sent people across the Atlantic Ocean to build a relationship with a teenage girl to get her to move to the middle of another continent to play basketball.  For her, there is literally no reason to play/live here other than to play for those coaches we sent to Spain for her.  She has zero allegiance to KSU.  We knew that when we sent those coaches after her to build that relationship.  For a year those coaches were her de facto parents on a new, strange continent.  Our university spent thousands of dollars for those coaches to build a relationship with Leti and her parents, then used a sales plan of leveraging that relationship to get her to play ball here.  And now we're mad because she continued to talk to those coaches after we fired them (don't give me the we offered Shalee a job, we just fired her coach and mentor). 

How do you not initially go, "We understand you moved to a strange place on the otherside of an ocean from you family to play for these coaches and you'll continue to talk to them even thought its against some rules you don't care about.  Just don't go to another university in our conference or one we already have scheduled for future seasons.  Thanks for carrying the sub-par team this past year."
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 22, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
Also, why does fitz think the previous staff was destroying documents "included medical records"?  That's weird right?

Yes, I'd like to hear more about Deb BIDing on her way out.

This
I'm purple down

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 22, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
I'm still trying to future this out.  We sent people across the Atlantic Ocean to build a relationship with a teenage girl to get her to move to the middle of another continent to play basketball.  For her, there is literally no reason to play/live here other than to play for those coaches we sent to Spain for her.  She has zero allegiance to KSU.  We knew that when we sent those coaches after her to build that relationship.  For a year those coaches were her de facto parents on a new, strange continent.  Our university spent thousands of dollars for those coaches to build a relationship with Leti and her parents, then used a sales plan of leveraging that relationship to get her to play ball here.  And now we're mad because she continued to talk to those coaches after we fired them (don't give me the we offered Shalee a job, we just fired her coach and mentor). 

How do you not initially go, "We understand you moved to a strange place on the otherside of an ocean from you family to play for these coaches and you'll continue to talk to them even thought its against some rules you don't care about.  Just don't go to another university in our conference or one we already have scheduled for future seasons.  Thanks for carrying the sub-par team this past year."

yep  :thumbs:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 22, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »

Somewhere on the Autism scale?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 22, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
I'm not falling over myself for anything, I'm just part of this discussion. I do think its interesting.

You seem pretty inclined to think the worst of the player and former player and the best of the administration based on nothing more than unsubstantiated and anonymously relayed tuck scuttlebutt.  Like:

It might cost Shalee a better job (or the job she wants). Its not like she's proven to be a great recruiter, she's only proven to be a great recruiter of Leti Romero via Skype. That's not real marketable if Leti doesn't come with her.

And:

The message here is really "do your tampering like everyone else that is smart does it; quiet and behind the scenes. If you rub it in our faces or make it clear, we are going to do something about it."

You look pretty geared up to take these ladies down.  Even CC was all whoa _FAN pump your breaks, bud:

Not sure I would single out Shalee, but I agree with general statement.

Then you were all like:

Quote from: ksu_FAN date=later on
But I thought everybody agreed we were going to kick Shalee in her taco no matter what?  Is that not what we're doing here? :confused:

I mean that's pretty damning.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 22, 2014, 03:03:22 PM »
goE is one of the best bbs's at explaining what it's like to be on new and strange continents

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 22, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »

Nothing is stopping her from going home, if Manhattan is so scary and foreign to her.  There are consequences for actions, whether made by her or a former coach.  Life isn't fair.  She's getting a free education in one the the safest places on earth. 

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
Currie is a stud. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
Does anyone seriously believe Angel would've taken a one year deal to stay and see what oscar was like? I mean, come on.

Could he pay his own way for a year if they did the same thing to him that they're doing to Romero?  I don't know that he could.  If he gets pushy then all the AD has to do is start rumors (that will never be proven or even officially adopted) that the former staff has been reaching out to him and they're not going to take it.  How quick and with how much zeal would the majority of go purple cat nation not only embrace those rumors, but vilify the crap out of Angel and Frank?  Jeans would be creamed all across western Kansas. 

Lordy, you're falling all over yourself to believe that a former K-State player and assistant coach must be some lying scumbag manipulator out to eff over K-State to further her own career.  Could it possibly be that Romero is close to her and that she would like to maintain their relationship if possible and vice versa?  Is that so rough ridin' out of bounds?  An actual honest to goodness player-coach relationship exists that they mutually value?  Then maybe that regardless of the motive Currie is more than happy to be a petty vindictive fuckface?  Nope, no way.  Currie gets to make that call as he should.  He is the appropriate arbiter of the freshman Spanish girl's destiny. 

A process many, many other K-State athletes have went through while Currie has been here and only 1 other (that I know of) went public because he wasn't granted a release.

How many of them were immediately after coaching changes where Currie hired the replacement?  How many were non-scrub players?
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 22, 2014, 03:12:11 PM »
I'm not falling over myself for anything, I'm just part of this discussion. I do think its interesting.

You seem pretty inclined to think the worst of the player and former player and the best of the administration based on nothing more than unsubstantiated and anonymously relayed tuck scuttlebutt.  Like:

It might cost Shalee a better job (or the job she wants). Its not like she's proven to be a great recruiter, she's only proven to be a great recruiter of Leti Romero via Skype. That's not real marketable if Leti doesn't come with her.

And:

The message here is really "do your tampering like everyone else that is smart does it; quiet and behind the scenes. If you rub it in our faces or make it clear, we are going to do something about it."

You look pretty geared up to take these ladies down.  Even CC was all whoa _FAN pump your breaks, bud:

Not sure I would single out Shalee, but I agree with general statement.

Then you were all like:

Quote from: ksu_FAN date=later on
But I thought everybody agreed we were going to kick Shalee in her taco no matter what?  Is that not what we're doing here? :confused:

I mean that's pretty damning.

Fair enough.

I don't think anything malicious took place on Romero's part or whoever is involved with her (likely Lehning). I don't have a problem with Romero attaching herself to someone she trusts and knows. But I also don't have a problem with K-State protecting themselves if they have evidence something is going on that they don't think is right according to the process that they have in place, one that has been followed plenty of times before. I've also said several times that Romero and whoever is involved with her just bungled this process and did a poor job of just letting the transfer process play out before they moved forward with finding a new school.

If Lehning (or whoever) had been hired a week from now and a week later Romero ended up at the same school I wouldn't have thought it was a very big deal. I think they just messed it up from the beginning because they were ticked at Currie/K-State. I think Romero will be let go soon after everything settles anyway.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
You didn't actually say that last thing fwiw.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »
I want to kick this thread in the balls so hard that it throws up.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 22, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »

I know. :D

Its all good. You've been consistent with your stance on transfers from the beginning. I suppose its fair to say I don't necessarily disagree with you that much, but I'm prone to take K-State's (as a whole) side a bit too much.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 22, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »
Sounds to me like the old regime made this a pretty nasty process.  I don't think Currie is the type of guy to let that crap go and here we are.

Bilas needs to STFU unless he wants to do some actual reporting.  His crusade for the student athlete loses credibility when he never adds any insight and just wants to throw stones at the establishment. 

Also, I know there are student athlete rules but why was the Jamar Dillon's Trashgate thing allowed to be talked about and this is not?

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 22, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »
Someone shop this, turn the he to she and make the faces
Leti
Shalee
Deb
Mittie
Currie
Schulz
Bilas
Erica Young
Brianna Lewis

Sorry I was late.

The Big Train

« Reply #744 on: April 22, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »
Someone shop this, turn the he to she and make the faces
Leti
Shalee
Deb
Mittie
Currie
Schulz
Bilas
Erica Young
Brianna Lewis

Sorry I was late.

You post some of this quality work everyday here and you are bound to get a job sooner, rather than later.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 22, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
 :D Missed a pretty sweet opportunity with that valentine candy, tho.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 22, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »

Its all good. You've been consistent with your stance on transfers from the beginning. I suppose its fair to say I don't necessarily disagree with you that much, but I'm prone to take K-State's (as a whole) side a bit too much.

My natural inclination as an Illinois fan is to dislike the AD.  It's easier for me. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 22, 2014, 03:23:59 PM »

My natural inclination as an Illinois fan is to dislike the AD.  It's easier for me.

Perfectly understandable.

Illinois:  We're really not that good at anything anymore.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 22, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 22, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Want to hear more about Deb in razed earth mode.   :whistle1: