Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 219202 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #650 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
So what are they protecting? Let the player go, and if the NCAA finds the tampering allegations to be valid, they can handle the punishment, can't they?

They are protecting current and future K-State players. I think that's obvious.

I think it's obvious they do not care about current and future K-State players. (I'm not saying that's wrong.)

I don't understand why there are rules in place if no one has to wait for them to be investigated and enforced and just drop the hammer at the hint of a violation.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 22, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »
Well the default stance by K-State is that all transfer requests are denied, which is what Bilas has been on about all morning. So essentially K-State didn't have to do anything.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 22, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
All press is good press, just another day in BITB John Currie.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
So what are they protecting? Let the player go, and if the NCAA finds the tampering allegations to be valid, they can handle the punishment, can't they?

I think it's obvious they do not care about current and future K-State players. (I'm not saying that's wrong.)

I don't understand why there are rules in place if no one has to wait for them to be investigated and enforced and just drop the hammer at the hint of a violation.

The only hammer that's been dropped is the fact that K-State says they're not going to allow the transfer.   I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that K-State's reasons for not allowing the transfer are pretty solid and are not being done out of vindictiveness or spite. 

Every 500 days or so, MisFitzermation actually makes a fairly solid point.  If you knowingly allow tampering, than recruiting never ends.   The Roy Williams of the world graduate from an ongoing stream of various greeting cards, feelers and bumps to cash and cars.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 22, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
Former K-State commit switches to KU:

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/21/4973097/olathe-souths-kylee-kopatich-switches.html#tnt_refhome

“I know she loved the staff that was let go,” Ingram said. “K-State was a little slow saying whether they would honor that commitment, so they went to seek a Plan B. KU was definitely on her list when she was making the choice the first time around and she liked the staff. I think this will be a better fit for her.”

So K-State wants players to honor their commitment to K-State, but they don't want to honor their commitment to the players.  Shameful.

:bwpopcorn:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 22, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/21/4973097/olathe-souths-kylee-kopatich-switches.html#tnt_refhome

“I know she loved the staff that was let go,” Ingram said. “K-State was a little slow saying whether they would honor that commitment, so they went to seek a Plan B. KU was definitely on her list when she was making the choice the first time around and she liked the staff. I think this will be a better fit for her.”

So K-State wants players to honor their commitment to K-State, but they don't want to honor their commitment to the players.  Shameful.

The new K-State coaching staff Captain Butthurt.  Terrible talking point.  I mean, just rough ridin' awful.

Sad.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #656 on: April 22, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »

Mittie wouldn't buy her a new laptop.   :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 22, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »

The only hammer that's been dropped is the fact that K-State says they're not going to allow the transfer.   I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that K-State's reasons for not allowing the transfer are pretty solid and are not being done out of vindictiveness or spite. 

That's a pretty strong hammer and seems pretty vindictive. I mean, the options for Leti are:

1) Be somewhere you don't want to be.
2) Pay your own way to another school, not play.
3) Abandon CBB and go to Spain

Those are mean options.

Every 500 days or so, MisFitzermation actually makes a fairly solid point.  If you knowingly allow tampering, than recruiting never ends.   The Roy Williams of the world graduate from an ongoing stream of various greeting cards, feelers and bumps to cash and cars.

Yeah, recruiting never ends even if you don't "allow tampering". And did I miss where allowing a player to transfer makes "tampering" legal.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 22, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »

Yeah, recruiting never ends even if you don't "allow tampering". And did I miss where allowing a player to transfer makes "tampering" legal.

Maybe I just don't follow, and no, allowing or not allowing a player to transfer doesn't make tampering legal.

Oh, and recruiting probably doesn't ever end depending on how you want to define recruiting.  Is it illogical to not have some policy, or at least a thought process in place that says you're not going to allow a player to transfer if there's tampering going on?   Having  a process in place that can decide the allowance of a transfer seems like pretty sound and prudent policy doesn't it? 

I'm pretty much with _fan; if what is being put out there actually did occur than the former coach(es) and player are pretty damn stupid.  They left K-State with pretty much no other choice.   No athletic program is likely ever going to knowingly allow their current players to be used by former coaches as pawns to get former coaches a new job.   I guess I just don't understand why anyone would even think about questioning a policy of that nature.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:39:55 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 22, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
That's a pretty strong hammer and seems pretty vindictive. I mean, the options for Leti are:

Those are mean options.

Can't she also go JUCO or lower division and play a year on scholarship?  That's what the articles have indicated.  I'm not going to cry too many tears for her.  She'll land on her feet, I'm pretty sure.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: April 22, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »
No athletic program is likely ever going to allow their current players to be used by former coaches as pawns to get former coaches a new job.   I guess I just don't understand why anyone would even think about questioning a policy of that nature.

Agreed. A handler whoring out a current player as a package deal to the highest bidder is not what K-State wants to make easier by releasing her at the moment. They may be waiting to approve her transfer release until the investigation is complete, and other dominoes fall.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 22, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »

Those are mean options.

Can't she also go JUCO or lower division and play a year on scholarship?  That's what the articles have indicated.  I'm not going to cry too many tears for her.  She'll land on her feet, I'm pretty sure.

She'd still have to pay a lot of money for room and board.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 22, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »
Just as I predicted, Lehning is not K-State Proud.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 22, 2014, 12:44:07 PM »
No athletic program is likely ever going to allow their current players to be used by former coaches as pawns to get former coaches a new job.   I guess I just don't understand why anyone would even think about questioning a policy of that nature.

Agreed. A handler whoring out a current player as a package deal to the highest bidder is not what K-State wants to make easier by releasing her at the moment. They may be waiting to approve her transfer release until the investigation is complete, and other dominoes fall.

So why not just limit the release to that coach?

Also, LMAO at blaming the coaches for using a player as a "pawn". Our administrators are doing the exact same thing - nothing wrong with admitting they're rough ridin' over a player to protect their new coach's interests. It's actually far more admirable than the faux-moral high ground stance they're taking.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 22, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
I'm just gonna go ahead and say what everyone else is thinking. Two words...

Frank Martin.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 22, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »
guys, all of this makes me look at Shalee's eye brows so much different now. I think I gave here the benefit of the doubt since I thought she was so EMAW....now she just looks so evil and mean headed.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 22, 2014, 12:46:44 PM »
I don't think you can restrict a transfer to a specific coach, especially a coach that isnt currently employed. I would think it would be restricted by school or conference. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 22, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
Fitz's column is free, FWIW. https://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1634056

There is no new info in that, did he read my post because I said that 2 days ago? We are well aware that Shalee is dangling Leti, but what some people are continuing to neglect to address is that she doesn't want to be here, and Shalee is no longer here, why does John Currie or anyone else care about where she goes if she doesn't want to be here? Once you break up with your significant other you don't get to pick who she dates next.

On one hand people keep saying that we need to protect ourselves from this situation happening again but on the other hand they say this is a very unique case. If you have to fire coaches losing players should just be considered a consequence of that action.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 22, 2014, 12:47:28 PM »

So why not just limit the release to that coach?

Also, LMAO at blaming the coaches for using a player as a "pawn". Our administrators are doing the exact same thing - nothing wrong with admitting they're rough ridin' over a player to protect their new coach's interests. It's actually far more admirable than the faux-moral high ground stance they're taking.

Well in our era of litigiousness you pretty much have to take the faux moral high ground, to go to far out there on commentary about the situation risks violation of federal law.

Plus, I suspect at the end of the day, she'll get a restricted release.  But you and I don't know what was said in the hearing, and I suspect she wanted an unrestricted release.  Thus the denial.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 22, 2014, 12:49:11 PM »

Why care? When they're gone they're gone. We have institutional nosy-ness. Mind your own damn business.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 22, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
so fitz's story doesn't clear anything up re: angel....

"throwing around the word "blackmail" and claiming Rodriguez was denied a request two years ago when Weber was hired.

Funny thing is Rodriguez never made such a request. Funny thing is no one from K-State, from South Carolina (where the coaches who recruited Rodriguez are now working), or from his home region of South Florida/Puerto Rico ever made such a claim.

The world only heard about this after Romero stated it. It's a claim that simply is not rooted in fact. (FYI, Romero arrived at K-State after Rodriguez departed for the University of Miami.)"

but romero actually said this...

“They said we wanted to do the same thing they did with Angel (Rodriguez) for the men’s team, and they said that they weren’t going to give me the release this year,” Romero said. “They wanted me to try one year, and in one year if I didn’t like it, they would give me a release.

“I really saw this as blackmail.”

She never said that he requested one and was denied. Only that she was offered a deal and it was the same deal that was offered to Angel. I bet the deal was offered to Angel and he took it, knowing that he'd leave in a year after rod and jo were gone. i bet if angel would have filed, his would've been denied too. this is a big deal to me so let's all focus in on this for now.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 22, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »
Fitz's column is free, FWIW. https://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1634056

There is no new info in that, did he read my post because I said that 2 days ago? We are well aware that Shalee is dangling Leti, but what some people are continuing to neglect to address is that she doesn't want to be here, and Shalee is no longer here, why does John Currie or anyone else care about where she goes if she doesn't want to be here? Once you break up with your significant other you don't get to pick who she dates next.

On one hand people keep saying that we need to protect ourselves from this situation happening again but on the other hand they say this is a very unique case. If you have to fire coaches losing players should just be considered a consequence of that action.

No one said it wasn't going to be a consequence, but what AD wants a situation where if they fire a coach they just give the former coach free and open season on all the current players at the coaches former program to dangle in front of other perspective employers?    No AD is going to be make it that easy, particularly IF it was done in a blatant and overt fashion.    No AD worth two shits is going to just allow that to happen that easily.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 22, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »

Well yeah.

The message here is really "do your tampering like everyone else that is smart does it; quiet and behind the scenes. If you rub it in our faces or make it clear, we are going to do something about it."

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #673 on: April 22, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »

I agree.  It does seem like maybe John Currie is preparing for something litigious coming down the pipe involving Deb and the old regime and is using Leti as leverage until he gets the info he needs.  Maybe more life insurance policies from Krause?

I can't imagine any other reason for not letting her go.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 22, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

Well yeah.

The message here is really "do your tampering like everyone else that is smart does it; quiet and behind the scenes. If you rub it in our faces or make it clear, we are going to do something about it."

yep. i bet shalee and the basketball player were all middle fingers and the AD was all we'll show you two and shakes fist.