Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 221399 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #450 on: April 16, 2014, 03:52:11 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »
catz is most definitely deb until proven otherwise

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »
catz is most definitely deb until proven otherwise

same taste in women  :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
Thank you for the clarification cc, I appreciate it. I'll soften my stance a bit, I won't flex on two points though.

-There was no reason to leak info about this situation. Jay Bilas' twitter isn't reason enough to go into cya mode. Yes,I know she spoke first. She is a 19 year old college student, there is no reason to turn a machine against her.
-I don't care about the circumstances of her transfer, they should have let her go. What are they protecting themselves from? Does the athletic department think that whatever is happening behind the scenes with Leti would have become public knowledge and other athletes and athletic departments would conspire to screw K-State when a coach gets fired? From your description, this sounds like a pretty unique circumstance that would have been quiet if they just let her go.

Some of my outrage with this situation is with the system itself. It is gross that scholarships are one year agreements but the athlete doesn't have freedom of movement. I think the movement to pay players is a simple mindset and has severe consequences the advocates don't think about, but things like freedom of movement needs to be addressed. Also the NLOI should be abolished.

I very very very much doubt anything was leaked from the AthDept. They have student privacy issues here that makes that a very risky route to take, plus from people I've talked to, the Dept doesn't really think leaking anything would make much of a difference. There was no machine to turn on, no character assassination happening. If you want to blame me, you can do so. I apologize if I came across as attacking her. I meant only that her words were not entirely her words, but rather that of the people in her ear. Again, Fitz knows about the former staff stuff, and he certainly didn't hear it from Currie and company.

Your second point, she will ultimately transfer. They will "let her go" I guess, though again, that's not what the appeals process is about. There are lots of things they need to protect themselves from -- tampering, academic standing, compliance, competitive disadvantage. That's why the appeals process exists, and it's not unique to Leti. And your last sentence on this point is very close to the truth -- if Leti doesn't call up the Mercury and CJ and and say that K-State is "blackmailing" her, then yes she probably would transfer with some restrictions and it would have all happened privately and quietly. Again, the difference here from virtually all other transfers is that Leti is throwing K-State under the bus publicly to theoretically gain an advantage prior to the appeal.

If your anger is about the player/coach NLI system, then I would tend to agree with you. But that is a much larger discussion than this one case.

Not blaming you for the leak, like I said mixed-nutz posted the tampering charge before you hinted at it. Someone leaked it and it certainly wasn't Leti.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2014, 04:06:26 PM »
How much honor did those ladies want?

Camie played at Texas.

Moylan was a good player at K-State 20 plus years ago.

Lehning had a mountain of honor and praise heaped on her from K-State.

I don't get it.

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »

Camie played at Texas.

I don't get it.

CC hinted it was an ex staffer.  I just told you what I heard the staff thought about how things were handled.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »
On the jersey thing if you want to be mad, be mad at Frank and/or Weiser and Currie. It's not like Deb had unilateral decision power over who got their jerseys retired and when for all sports. She asked if her players could get their jerseys hung and the ad said yes. Pretty boss move and more coaches should do it. Are they waiting for these guys to die or something?

I mean if your boss offers you a trip to Australia for your Christmas bonus are you gonna say no because of the schlub in the next office didn't get one because he didn't ask?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
Coaches should ask every year.  I agree that it is best to do it now than waiting until so much time has passed that no one cares.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »
On the jersey thing if you want to be mad, be mad at Frank and/or Weiser and Currie. It's not like Deb had unilateral decision power over who got their jerseys retired and when for all sports. She asked if her players could get their jerseys hung and the ad said yes. Pretty boss move and more coaches should do it. Are they waiting for these guys to die or something?

I mean if your boss offers you a trip to Australia for your Christmas bonus are you gonna say no because of the schlub in the next office didn't get one because he didn't ask?

i don't think anybody is upset w/ deb over this. at least they shouldn't be.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
Thank you for the clarification cc, I appreciate it. I'll soften my stance a bit, I won't flex on two points though.

-There was no reason to leak info about this situation. Jay Bilas' twitter isn't reason enough to go into cya mode. Yes,I know she spoke first. She is a 19 year old college student, there is no reason to turn a machine against her.
-I don't care about the circumstances of her transfer, they should have let her go. What are they protecting themselves from? Does the athletic department think that whatever is happening behind the scenes with Leti would have become public knowledge and other athletes and athletic departments would conspire to screw K-State when a coach gets fired? From your description, this sounds like a pretty unique circumstance that would have been quiet if they just let her go.

Some of my outrage with this situation is with the system itself. It is gross that scholarships are one year agreements but the athlete doesn't have freedom of movement. I think the movement to pay players is a simple mindset and has severe consequences the advocates don't think about, but things like freedom of movement needs to be addressed. Also the NLOI should be abolished.

I very very very much doubt anything was leaked from the AthDept. They have student privacy issues here that makes that a very risky route to take, plus from people I've talked to, the Dept doesn't really think leaking anything would make much of a difference. There was no machine to turn on, no character assassination happening. If you want to blame me, you can do so. I apologize if I came across as attacking her. I meant only that her words were not entirely her words, but rather that of the people in her ear. Again, Fitz knows about the former staff stuff, and he certainly didn't hear it from Currie and company.

Your second point, she will ultimately transfer. They will "let her go" I guess, though again, that's not what the appeals process is about. There are lots of things they need to protect themselves from -- tampering, academic standing, compliance, competitive disadvantage. That's why the appeals process exists, and it's not unique to Leti. And your last sentence on this point is very close to the truth -- if Leti doesn't call up the Mercury and CJ and and say that K-State is "blackmailing" her, then yes she probably would transfer with some restrictions and it would have all happened privately and quietly. Again, the difference here from virtually all other transfers is that Leti is throwing K-State under the bus publicly to theoretically gain an advantage prior to the appeal.

If your anger is about the player/coach NLI system, then I would tend to agree with you. But that is a much larger discussion than this one case.

Not blaming you for the leak, like I said mixed-nutz posted the tampering charge before you hinted at it. Someone leaked it and it certainly wasn't Leti.
A lot of people are involved in a situation like this, so of course it gets leaked. But this is also very standard behavior for tampering. Special with a player that is going to have a handler. Leti is a pawn in this situation and it is to bad for her, but she is also allowing herself to be a pawn. This has everything to do with a coach and handler. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »

Camie played at Texas.

I don't get it.

Kamie is a former national player of the year, national champion, gold medalist, hall of famer and considered one of the best ever to play the sport. At 18 years she had one of the longest assistant coaching stints in school history, if not the longest.

You keep running your fat mouth about people just being mad because it's Currie. Not that anyone cares but what is your level of credibility when all you do is defend his actions no matter what because your ego is inflated enough that you think anyone cares that you see yourself as some foil to the "too cool for schoolers?" This is the second straight staff, not head coach but staff, to depart angrily. The last time we were told that the staff were going to stay to flee their oppressive monster of a head coach. How did that work out? You keep fighting the too cool for schoolers and I'm going to wait for the next group of people to bid on their way out of the door after dealing with Currie.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 16, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »
Also the everybody hates everything Currie does talking point is very phony and dramatic. Currie has taken heat for the things; pay Frank, the men's basketball coaching change, and this Leti Romero issue. If you want to keep peacocking around here like the world's oldest toddler about three things in five years, then that's on you.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
Also the everybody hates everything Currie does talking point is very phony and dramatic. Currie has taken heat for the things; pay Frank, the men's basketball coaching change, and this Leti Romero issue. If you want to keep peacocking around here like the world's oldest toddler about three things in five years, then that's on you.

The men's basketball coaching change could easily be broken down into 3 or 4 different topics that could stand alone on their own merit, though.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »

A search on this site for "FYJC" turns up a few more complaints.

Not that I'm picking sides in a MIR-Dax fight, because I'm sure as heck not.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »

A search on this site for "FYJC" turns up a few more complaints.

Not that I'm picking sides in a MIR-Dax fight, because I'm sure as heck not.

A lot of that stuff isn't real criticism though. And yes the men's coaching situation is at least 4 different things but I'm combining it into one starting with the Jamar issue ending with the Weber introductory press conference.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 16, 2014, 04:57:38 PM »

Camie played at Texas.

I don't get it.

Kamie is a former national player of the year, national champion, gold medalist, hall of famer and considered one of the best ever to play the sport. At 18 years she had one of the longest assistant coaching stints in school history, if not the longest.

You keep running your fat mouth about people just being mad because it's Currie. Not that anyone cares but what is your level of credibility when all you do is defend his actions no matter what because your ego is inflated enough that you think anyone cares that you see yourself as some foil to the "too cool for schoolers?" This is the second straight staff, not head coach but staff, to depart angrily. The last time we were told that the staff were going to stay to flee their oppressive monster of a head coach. How did that work out? You keep fighting the too cool for schoolers and I'm going to wait for the next group of people to bid on their way out of the door after dealing with Currie.

Oh bullshit.  I don't need an effing lecture about Kamie Etheridge and what she did while playing at Texas or someplace else besides K-State.   Why would anyone assume that K-State owed her any type of special honor besides the ongoing set of accolades and praise (which at times were significant) she received almost the entire time she was employed at K-State as a fairly highly compensated assistant women's coach?   

Who cares if this women's coaching staff left angrily?   They were given every benefit to get the ship going in the right direction, and in the final 5 years of Patterson's tenure there were 3 five win conference seasons, including the last two.   They had no one to blame but themselves.

Scores of athletic directors would have dismissed Deb Patterson at the end of her contract under those circumstances; 34-52 in conference AFTER getting a FIVE year contract extension. 

I'll leave some of the other particularities surrounding Deb Patterson's tenure at K-State off the table . . . for now.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 16, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »

A lot of people are involved in a situation like this, so of course it gets leaked. But this is also very standard behavior for tampering. Special with a player that is going to have a handler. Leti is a pawn in this situation and it is to bad for her, but she is also allowing herself to be a pawn. This has everything to do with a coach and handler.

Why did you keep saying this is like Uthoff and Wisconsin?  This (former coaching staff tampering) makes it even less like it than it already was and even then it wasn't like it. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 16, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »
Because they are both tampering situations and handled in the same manor.  :dunno:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 16, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »
Because they are both tampering situations and handled in the same manor.  :dunno:

Shame on you.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 16, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
If my daughter was in the same situation I'd bid too.  Would also be I the phone with bitb.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:23 PM »
i'm 100% sure that despite you making a well reasoned post containing very salient points, a certain very identifiable group here are going to ignore it all.  take from my post what you will.

Absolutely. A very predictable group.

:jerk:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
i'm 100% sure that despite you making a well reasoned post containing very salient points, a certain very identifiable group here are going to ignore it all.  take from my post what you will.

Absolutely. A very predictable group.

:jerk:

I'd sure like to know who clams is referring to here

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 16, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »
Oh bullshit.  I don't need an effing lecture about Kamie Etheridge and what she did while playing at Texas or someplace else besides K-State.   Why would anyone assume that K-State owed her any type of special honor besides the ongoing set of accolades and praise (which at times were significant) she received almost the entire time she was employed at K-State as a fairly highly compensated assistant women's coach?   

Who cares if this women's coaching staff left angrily?   They were given every benefit to get the ship going in the right direction, and in the final 5 years of Patterson's tenure there were 3 five win conference seasons, including the last two.   They had no one to blame but themselves.

Scores of athletic directors would have dismissed Deb Patterson at the end of her contract under those circumstances; 34-52 in conference AFTER getting a FIVE year contract extension. 

I'll leave some of the other particularities surrounding Deb Patterson's tenure at K-State off the table . . . for now.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »
Deb Patterson coached up this girl from Spain on how Angel Rodriguez's transfer attempt(s) went and how to reference them in her own PR battle?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 17, 2014, 12:22:53 AM »

Camie played at Texas.

I don't get it.

Hide your skeletons boys, Dax is gonna start opening up some closets.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang