Author Topic: inventing/making an improvement to a product  (Read 2377 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
inventing/making an improvement to a product
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »
hey guys, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I have (what I think) is a really great improvement to a product that is already out there. but, I have no idea how to make it happen. do I contact the manufacturer? or would they just take my idea and laugh at me all the way to the bank?

also anyone else have any awesome invention ideas? seems like I come up with a ton only to realize it's already been invented in some form...

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: inventing/making an improvement to a product
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
hey guys, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I have (what I think) is a really great improvement to a product that is already out there. but, I have no idea how to make it happen. do I contact the manufacturer? or would they just take my idea and laugh at me all the way to the bank?

also anyone else have any awesome invention ideas? seems like I come up with a ton only to realize it's already been invented in some form...

like i would tell you!

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »

Get on the show Shark Tank.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »
Describe the improvement
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
Describe the improvement

basically I want to take the fibers that are inside of chainsaw chaps (keeps chainsaws from cutting you) and put them inside bunker pants for firefighters. every year there are multiple disabling injuries to firefighters in the US due to a chainsaw accident while venting a roof, if we had this protection built into our pants I think it could save limbs and maybe lives. might not make sense to a lot of people but I think it could be a pretty huge improvement.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
Describe the improvement

basically I want to take the fibers that are inside of chainsaw chaps (keeps chainsaws from cutting you) and put them inside bunker pants for firefighters. every year there are multiple disabling injuries to firefighters in the US due to a chainsaw accident while venting a roof, if we had this protection built into our pants I think it could save limbs and maybe lives. might not make sense to a lot of people but I think it could be a pretty huge improvement.

1) Is it feasible to add that weight/heat to whatever bunker pants are (no idea on either count)

2) Find someone who can help you with a prototype and have them sign a non-disclosure or non-compete or something.  Offer them a stake in your fictional business or sale of idea in return.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
Describe the improvement

1) Is it feasible to add that weight/heat to whatever bunker pants are (no idea on either count)

2) Find someone who can help you with a prototype and have them sign a non-disclosure or non-compete or something.  Offer them a stake in your fictional business or sale of idea in return.

1) the chaps aren't very heavy, about 2lbs. in the scheme of things that's not that much considering I'm already carrying 75+ lbs. plus, they're coming out with lighter stuff every year. for example i just replaced my boots and went from 6.5 lbs a piece to 4. as for heat, I am a little bit concerned about the stuff melting to skin, had that happen to me with a pair of nylon shorts once and it really sucked.

2) I am thinking about contacting someone that works for the company that repairs our gear when it rips or burns through...

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:52:14 PM »
Trailer trees. 

Boom.

Million dollar idea!

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 06:54:24 PM »
Trailer trees. 

Boom.

Million dollar idea!

:thumbs:

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
Truck Nutz.

My idea to improve them would make them even larger, and more flesh like. Maybe even make them factory on all new cars or something. I dont know I'm just thinking out loud here lol. Anyways hope everyone is having a nice evening.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 07:30:55 PM »
Describe the improvement

What the eff is a chainsaw chap?!

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
inventing/making an improvement to a product
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »
have a pair

they are great

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »
it would be too expensive

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
Truck Nutz.

My idea to improve them would make them even larger, and more flesh like. Maybe even make them factory on all new cars or something. I dont know I'm just thinking out loud here lol. Anyways hope everyone is having a nice evening.

i invented a truck nuts chia pet, sold like hot cakes

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »

Municipalities are flush with cash
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »
Truck Nutz.

i invented a truck nuts chia pet, sold like hot cakes

Pet Truck Nuts made me my first million.   :kstategrad:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: inventing/making an improvement to a product
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »

Municipalities are flush with cash

still too expensive

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
Describe the improvement

thanks, just patented this. that'll be $500.
emaw

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »

boom, invented

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
Ok guys I actually have one.  It is called the gyro coozy.  It attaches to a belt loop docking station with also has a gyro that protects your standard beer can from spilling while you are left hands free and can kneel, walk or otherwise live your life.  The coozy is very effective at keeping your beer cold and can be comfortably held without being too bulky.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Only with tucked in shirts.  Ppl that take beer on the go that tuck in their shirts, while drinking beer on the go, will be fearful and skeptical of this new fangled tech.  Great idea, but the market just isn't there.  Maybe but it on a lanyard?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
Only with tucked in shirts.  Ppl that take beer on the go that tuck in their shirts, while drinking beer on the go, will be fearful and skeptical of this new fangled tech.  Great idea, but the market just isn't there.  Maybe but it on a lanyard?

a lanyard wouldn't work at all.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
Ok guys I actually have one.  It is called the gyro coozy.  It attaches to a belt loop docking station with also has a gyro that protects your standard beer can from spilling while you are left hands free and can kneel, walk or otherwise live your life.  The coozy is very effective at keeping your beer cold and can be comfortably held without being too bulky.

So you're saying it holds a gyro? Like a pita sandwich?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
ok hear me out:

connect this device to your roof
this device sucks in CO (CARBON MONOXIDE) from the atmosphere
the device has a module which mixes in another O (OXYGEN)
the newly created CO2 (CARBON DIOXIDE) is piped into your house and then compressed in the compressor module
the compressor module hooks into your faucet and BOOM soda water any time you want

you know we americans are insane insane insane about our sodas! and now you can save the environment too!