Author Topic: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas  (Read 66104 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas
« Reply #750 on: August 20, 2023, 11:16:07 AM »
It was the talk of the rural judge scene.  Not too many judges don't think she will keep her job.  Nor sbhould she because that was stupid

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 20, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
So what's the basic time line here?

1.  Business owner has shady past
2.  Reporter uncovers it (maybe through illegal means?)
3.  Writes about it.
4. Business owner prompts local law enforcement to pursue a search warrant for the reporters devices
5. Law enforcement get local judge to sign off on warrant
6. Police seize equipment, but relinquish custody after newspaper layers up.
7. Kobach says nothing to see here

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 20, 2023, 02:45:11 PM »
From what I’ve read, that’s close to it, except I don’t think they ever actually ran their story about the drunk lady. Instead they called the cops to inform them that drunk lady was operating on someone else’s liquor license after having dui’s.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 20, 2023, 02:53:37 PM »
This whole thing is ridiculous. They claim a false attestation as to the purpose of the records search as the reason for the warrant. I've literally done this hundreds (thousands?) of times to search public records. That is a thin reed to base seizing property on. It's shameful, really.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 20, 2023, 03:49:45 PM »
MIR mentioned suspected adultery, was the police chief banging the lady with the (allegedly) illegal liquor license?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 20, 2023, 04:01:25 PM »
MIR mentioned suspected adultery, was the police chief banging the lady with the (allegedly) illegal liquor license?

Any alleged adultery is hardly the point, but I do understand why that could make the story more salacious.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 20, 2023, 04:03:04 PM »
Are we talking a DUI threeway between judge, cop, and the restaurant lady? 

Freaks down in Marion.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 20, 2023, 04:05:25 PM »
Are we talking a DUI threeway between judge, cop, and the restaurant lady? 

Freaks down in Marion.

Try THAT in a small town.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 20, 2023, 04:05:39 PM »
Well I'm trying to understand what would motivate the police to receive a tip that the business owner was potentially breaking the law and then choose to raid the offices of the newspaper instead of investigating the tip about illegal activity. Don't think the newspaper reporter was anticipating a raid or they probably wouldn't have contacted the police. Maybe they knew the outcome and were baiting the police into it?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 20, 2023, 04:12:42 PM »
Well I'm trying to understand what would motivate the police to receive a tip that the business owner was potentially breaking the law and then choose to raid the offices of the newspaper instead of investigating the tip about illegal activity. Don't think the newspaper reporter was anticipating a raid or they probably wouldn't have contacted the police. Maybe they knew the outcome and were baiting the police into it?

I mean, it seems like your run-o-the-mill small town corruption to me. I guess if you can sprinkle some sex on top, it does make it sexier.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 20, 2023, 07:14:58 PM »

Investigating just the tip.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 20, 2023, 10:18:57 PM »

No, the judge. Read the article.

There was no rough ridin' tip. There's no way to illegally obtain public records. And yes, they were baiting the cops, this wasn't their first issue with them.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 20, 2023, 11:08:33 PM »

There was no rough ridin' tip. There's no way to illegally obtain public records. And yes, they were baiting the cops, this wasn't their first issue with them.

The tip meaning, when the newspaper folks contacted the police. I'll read the article if you (or KK) post the damn thing.

Makes a lot of sense tho if the police chief is sticking it to the magistrate.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 21, 2023, 10:51:38 AM »

yeah, it was a public record and you have to check some box that states what purposes you can use the record.  and yes, they wanted to get raided because now that county will be paying them a bag

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 21, 2023, 10:55:44 AM »
Great way to get rid of grandma too, all part of the master plan
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: August 21, 2023, 12:08:59 PM »

yeah, it was a public record and you have to check some box that states what purposes you can use the record.  and yes, they wanted to get raided because now that county will be paying them a bag
Good way to keep the paper afloat. Sounds like this will be victory for the First Amendment on several levels.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 22, 2023, 08:21:33 AM »
Imagine how absolutely shltfaced you have to be to get not 1 but 2 DUI's as a magistrate in BFE Kansas

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 22, 2023, 10:03:49 AM »
Imagine how absolutely shltfaced you have to be to get not 1 but 2 DUI's as a magistrate in BFE Kansas

she ran into the equipment shed bro.  that is level 7 pak'd

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 22, 2023, 12:21:57 PM »
I can confirm that DUIs are not unheard of for magistrate judges from BFE KS.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 22, 2023, 12:56:14 PM »
I'm confused by this.  The store owner who kicked them out of the store had a DUI and no driver's license.  And the magistrate had 2 DUIs? Was the sheriff doing something wrong too that he was trying to cover up?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 22, 2023, 01:01:37 PM »
I'm confused by this.  The store owner who kicked them out of the store had a DUI and no driver's license.  And the magistrate had 2 DUIs? Was the sheriff doing something wrong too that he was trying to cover up?

not enforcing laws he knows are being broken

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 22, 2023, 01:03:13 PM »

Throw in the newspaper owner is now dead from heart attack after police raider her house. The whole thing is mumped.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 22, 2023, 03:07:47 PM »
What's wild is that this could all be prevented if people weren't huge morons that want to live like they're Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 22, 2023, 03:16:44 PM »
What's wild is that this could all be prevented if people weren't huge morons that want to live like they're Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights.

Lol