Author Topic: kansas says eff you to federal government  (Read 16231 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: kansas says eff you to federal government
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
So Kansas is trying to just do away with background checks for gun owners?

Not exactly.

What is the goal of this law, then?

To send a message.  FWIW, only applies to stuff made/sold/kept in KS.  I can't think of a single gun manufacturer located in KS.  Maybe a couple custom shops? 

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
Kansas doubled down on awesome. Just trolling the Federal government and driving Libs nuts.
yeah trolling....except that Kansas is slashing needed money for the poorest and most vulnerable citizens who need state services under the guise of no money.

So this crap isn't funny or something that should be joked about.  People see Kansas as a bunch of idiots who don't understand the constitution and are willing to let people in need get put in precarious position all for this bullshit.  Just wait for when someone is discharged from Osawatomie because they don't have the budget to hold them and they shoot up a school or mall.

Yeah, I wish we were one of those states that didn't have any money and increased services.  That's where we want to be.

As far as knowing what's constitutional, the obama administration probably has less credibility than Kansas, so its kind of a criple fight here.

LOL, at spending a couple hundo to protect your law as usurping public funds.  LOFL.  Red herring of the month there.
Low constitutional, american history, sovereignty, federalism IQ on display here folks.

The other great irony here which really brings FSD's ignorance home is that Kansas and Kobach specifically cite the Fugitive Slave acts in their letter which ended with the SCOTUS emphatically saying that states can't do exactly this.

I like how Edna skips the srawman and goes straight for the jugular on the position you've never taken.  Very efficient pit bbs'ing.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »
To the extent ConLaw is "certain" or "decided," I think Kansas loses on the throwing feds in jail and wins on the hypothetical "guns manf and sold within the state".  The Obamatards might even manage to lose the feds in jail point on ripeness.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »

Well, I guess I'm just too fiscally conservative to support this. Maybe if I were a social conservative, fiscal liberal like you, I would think it's awesome, too.

Red Herring. If anything blame the Feds for trying to push the issue.

bullshit.  the Feds should always smash the opinions of ignorant state leaders, especially when it has the potential to interfere with the due course of the justice system.

I don't think they're being ignorant. Just trolling the gov and protecting our rights, ya know.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »
To the extent ConLaw is "certain" or "decided," I think Kansas loses on the throwing feds in jail and wins on the hypothetical "guns manf and sold within the state".  The Obamatards might even manage to lose the feds in jail point on ripeness.

I think they lose on making guns because they will have to bring stuff in.  Ripeness is decent point.  Have to throw an ATF agent in the Wyco county jail to find out.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2013, 11:01:48 PM »

I think they lose on making guns because they will have to bring stuff in.  Ripeness is decent point.  Have to throw an ATF agent in the Wyco county jail to find out.

Thought about that.  Two things: 1) guns are made from wood and steel, two things easily found in Kansas, 2) the obamatards couldn't establish healthcare was an instrument of interstate commerce and this seems more difficult.

I think Kansas is flat overreaching with the fed agent jail time and the immenent harm probably makes the issue ripe. I guess we'll find out in 2 years.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »

Thought about that.  Two things: 1) guns are made from wood and steel, two things easily found in Kansas, 2) the obamatards couldn't establish healthcare was an instrument of interstate commerce and this seems more difficult.

I think Kansas is flat overreaching with the fed agent jail time and the immenent harm probably makes the issue ripe. I guess we'll find out in 2 years.

I don't think KS has the abundance of raw materials to make guns for a long period of time. At some point they will have to bring items in, when that happens it is interstate commerce.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »
it appears that 90% of the KS gov. time is spent on non-satirical Thanks Obama stuff.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2013, 09:09:24 AM »
or, like, when every other right wing state government official watches fox news they kind of chuckle and realize it's over the top but the KS guys are all "SEE YOU AT THE TEA PARTY RALLY! :upsidedownamericanflag: :snaketreadonmeflag: :fuckscience.gif:"

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
or, like, when every other right wing state government official watches fox news they kind of chuckle and realize it's over the top but the KS guys are all "SEE YOU AT THE TEA PARTY RALLY! :upsidedownamericanflag: :snaketreadonmeflag: :fuckscience.gif:"

Primary elections in western KS are a real treat. You get to hear radio ads about which republicans are secret liberals who take vacations. General elections are generally just a bunch of guys running unopposed, though.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:08 AM »

I don't think KS has the abundance of raw materials to make guns for a long period of time. At some point they will have to bring items in, when that happens it is interstate commerce.

"Manufacturing of a firearm" doesn't occur at the raw material stage. 

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »

"Manufacturing of a firearm" doesn't occur at the raw material stage.

True.  I suppose the thought is if you have the raw materials in state you can certainly manufacture the item in state.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »

There will have to be a gun manufacturer willing to smelt steel, from Kansas ore, and build stocks from Kansas trees, and then manufacture gunpowder, lead and the brass all in the state from only state found materials. 

I actually don't think the arrest thing is ripe until there is an ATF agent arrested.  I get imminent harm as a reason, but not likely on this issue until there is a wholly self contained gun and ammo manufacturer in KS.  The arrest issue is secondary to that.  SCOTUS doesn't issue advisory opinions.  I'm giving you credit for your analysis, don't try and be a dick.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
Have any of you guys ever driven by a salvage yard?  There's plenty of steel in Kansas to manufacture a few thousand guns per year.  We don't need an abundance of iron and whatever else goes into steel (nickel?) to manf in state.  The stock could be made from any number of native trees (walnut, etc)

Also I don't think ammo gets thrown into the analysis any more than the cardboard/plastic the box it comes in is made from.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: kansas says eff you to federal government
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »
Have any of you guys ever driven by a salvage yard?  There's plenty of steel in Kansas to manufacture a few thousand guns per year.  We don't need an abundance of iron and whatever else goes into steel (nickel?) to manf in state.  The stock could be made from any number of native trees (walnut, etc)

recycling steel sounds a little "sustainable" for Kansas. Be careful, Kansas gun manufacturers.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
 :lol:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
kansas says eff you to federal government
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »
Raw materials aren't regulated by what they are made into. I don't get this line of hypothesizing.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »

There will have to be a gun manufacturer willing to smelt steel, from Kansas ore, and build stocks from Kansas trees, and then manufacture gunpowder, lead and the brass all in the state from only state found materials. 

I actually don't think the arrest thing is ripe until there is an ATF agent arrested.  I get imminent harm as a reason, but not likely on this issue until there is a wholly self contained gun and ammo manufacturer in KS.  The arrest issue is secondary to that.  SCOTUS doesn't issue advisory opinions.  I'm giving you credit for your analysis, don't try and be a dick.

No on all the first crap. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »

Tell me why.  Simply wholly assembling a gun in a state doesn't exempt it from the CC. 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2013, 11:04:32 PM »

i think what you're describing is called "camping"

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »

Tell me why.  Simply wholly assembling a gun in a state doesn't exempt it from the CC.

Sure it does, assuming the parts were manufactured in state.  Doesn't matter where the raw materials came from. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »

Sure it does, assuming the parts were manufactured in state.  Doesn't matter where the raw materials came from.

My point was the parts won't be manufactured in the state.  The bill is a loser, and like losers it will lose.  KS tax payers will have the honor of funding it losing.  Making them losers by association.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »

My point was the parts won't be manufactured in the state.  The bill is a loser, and like losers it will lose.  KS tax payers will have the honor of funding it losing.  Making them losers by association.

I'm willing to concede that if the bill were here to stay that it wouldn't have much affect on anything.  I doubt there is enough in-state demand on firearms to make a business case for starting/moving a company here to manufacture parts (from raw materials) and assemble and sell guns to Kansans. 

What I was saying earlier is that if company A sells company B blocks of aluminum, it doesn't have to ask or know what they're going to do with it.  And selling a block of aluminum to someone isn't illegal, even if they were going to do something illegal with it.  Also, where is the competitive advantage for an in-state gun manufacturer vs out-of-state? 

Are they arguing that the no background check offers competitive advantage?