Author Topic: Keep Calm and Carry On  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Keep Calm and Carry On
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »
I looked up the origin on wikipedia but what's behind the popularity? Hipster thing?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Keep Calm and Carry On
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »
it's about the opposite of hipster. why is everyone so Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) when it comes to knowing what hipster means?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:59:03 AM »
it's about the opposite of hipster. why is everyone so Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) when it comes to knowing what hipster means?

I don't limit myself to just being Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) about what hipster means.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:00:07 AM »

I don't limit myself to just being Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) about what hipster means.

yeah, me either.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
I looked up the origin on wikipedia but what's behind the popularity? Hipster thing?

Hipsters hate everything that's popular. Incidentally I listen to a hipster sports podcast and its hilarious how miserable they are. Its slate.com hang up and listen if anyone is interested

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Keep Calm and Carry On
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »
Olympics seemed to give it a boost.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
Olympics seemed to give it a boost.

thats when i first noticed it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
It's from the Chive CFoD.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
I have the poster on my wall and use it as my life slogan
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »

no it's not, jfc

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
it was a motivational propaganda poster put together by the british after german air raids in ww2
emaw

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »

no it's not, jfc

I think that's where it has found traction.

Offline owl borland

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • I thought hurricane season was over
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »

no it's not, jfc

I think that's where it has found traction.

yeah, the chive didn't make it up, but the whole "keep calm and chive on" has really helped popularize the phrase as of late
GIFSoup

Don't forget your power towel. Bring it to every game

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
Rediscovery and commercialization

In 2000, a copy of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster was rediscovered in Barter Books, a second-hand bookshop in Alnwick, Northumberland, North East England. Since Crown Copyright expires on artistic works created by the British government after 50 years, the image is now in the public domain.[7] The store's owners, Stuart and Mary Manley, were thus able to reprint copies at customers' requests, as did others, inside and outside Britain. It has inspired ranges of clothing, mugs, doormats, baby clothes and other merchandise from various vendors,[8] as well as a book[9] of motivational quotations.

The poster's popularity has been attributed to a "nostalgia for a certain British character, an outlook" according to the Bagehot column in The Economist, that "taps directly into the country's mythic image of itself: unshowily brave and just a little stiff, brewing tea as the bombs fall."[10] Its message has also been felt relevant to the late-2000s recession and has been adopted as an unofficial motto by British nurses, the poster appearing in staff rooms on hospital wards with increasing frequency throughout the 2000s.[8] Merchandise with the image has been ordered in bulk by American financial firms and advertising agencies, and it is also popular in Germany.[11]

The poster has appeared on the walls of places as diverse as the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit at 10 Downing Street, the Lord Chamberlain's office at Buckingham Palace, and the United States embassy in Belgium. The Manleys sold some 41,000 facsimile posters between 2001 and 2009.[8]

The poster and its parodies have appeared in almost every channel open to graphic design and graphical parody.[8][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On#Rediscovery_and_commercialization
emaw

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
Rediscovery and commercialization

In 2000, a copy of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster was rediscovered in Barter Books, a second-hand bookshop in Alnwick, Northumberland, North East England. Since Crown Copyright expires on artistic works created by the British government after 50 years, the image is now in the public domain.[7] The store's owners, Stuart and Mary Manley, were thus able to reprint copies at customers' requests, as did others, inside and outside Britain. It has inspired ranges of clothing, mugs, doormats, baby clothes and other merchandise from various vendors,[8] as well as a book[9] of motivational quotations.

The poster's popularity has been attributed to a "nostalgia for a certain British character, an outlook" according to the Bagehot column in The Economist, that "taps directly into the country's mythic image of itself: unshowily brave and just a little stiff, brewing tea as the bombs fall."[10] Its message has also been felt relevant to the late-2000s recession and has been adopted as an unofficial motto by British nurses, the poster appearing in staff rooms on hospital wards with increasing frequency throughout the 2000s.[8] Merchandise with the image has been ordered in bulk by American financial firms and advertising agencies, and it is also popular in Germany.[11]

The poster has appeared on the walls of places as diverse as the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit at 10 Downing Street, the Lord Chamberlain's office at Buckingham Palace, and the United States embassy in Belgium. The Manleys sold some 41,000 facsimile posters between 2001 and 2009.[8]

The poster and its parodies have appeared in almost every channel open to graphic design and graphical parody.[8][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On#Rediscovery_and_commercialization
thats weird because I was using it before 2000 and then decided it wasn't cool anymore