Author Topic: Official religion of NC  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Official religion of NC
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/03/17584491-first-amendment-doesnt-apply-here-nc-lawmakers-push-bill-for-state-religion?lite

Republican lawmakers in North Carolina have introduced a bill declaring that the state has the power to establish an official religion — a direct challenge to the First Amendment.

One professor of politics called the measure “the verge of being neo-secessionist,” and another said it was reminiscent of how Southern states objected to the Supreme Court’s 1954 integration of public schools.

The bill says that federal courts do not have the power to decide what is constitutional, and says the state does not recognize federal court rulings that prohibit North Carolina and its schools from favoring a religion.

The bill was introduced Monday by two Republican representatives from Rowan County, north of Charlotte, and sponsored by seven other Republicans. The party controls both chambers of the North Carolina Legislature.

So... 2nd amendment, sacred. 1st amendment, not so much.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Official religion of NC
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:20 AM »
sharia law

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:42 AM »
sharia law

:horrorsurprise: Brownback was right!

Seriously, though, this will never pass, and those guys who introduced this bill will be reelected until they die.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
I will be bringing this up at the water cooler today to gauge support.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Official religion of NC
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »
sharia law

Yep, religion mandatory public school,  women can't be educated, girls married off as teens,  also everyone has to wear a beard.  Seems like many southern states are leaning this way.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »
It's just a bunch of redneck dickheads from the Western part of the state who are all butthurt.

Butthurt about what, exactly?

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
Funny how the Christians who push for bullshit like this don't realize that they're acting the same as the Muslims they're always complaining about

I wish there was one backwards Middle East country that happened to be a Christian theocracy because it seems like the type of Christians who propose and support bills like this would enjoy that part of the world if only they found a country that supported the same higher power

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
It's just a bunch of redneck dickheads from the Western part of the state who are all butthurt.

Butthurt about what, exactly?

It's a tough time to be a southerner. First, they took away their 10 commandments from the local courthouses. Then, they told their teachers that they couldn't lead the class in prayer. Then, they made a black man president.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
Pull their federal funding from anything education if they don't recognize their rulings.  Their kids will grow up being taught the earth is 5000 years old and Abraham had a pet dinosaur.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
Pull their federal funding from anything education if they don't recognize their rulings.  Their kids will grow up being taught the earth is 5000 years old and Abraham had a pet dinosaur.

Doubt they value education, most of their kind don't.  Pull all federal funding to any state that thinks it is above the 1st Amendment.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »

That would be unconstitutional you dolt.  Also, nice doltish stereotype you ignorant rough ridin' bigot.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
I like the term "neo-secessionist"

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »
Their kids will grow up being taught the earth is 5000 years old and Abraham had a pet dinosaur.

State's rights, imo. If a state wants to raise their kids to be a bunch of bigoted, Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), and white dumb fucks than more power to them. Doesn't make the bill right, or constitutional tho.

Offline yoman

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 12:28:54 AM »
I would assume even if this passed, it is a law suit away from being struck down in the Supreme Court (because it would no doubt make it to that level). I really can't believe this is being suggested. Actually, thinking about it, I can, which makes me even more depressed.
I think this yoman guy is on to something....

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 01:59:35 AM »
Their kids will grow up being taught the earth is 5000 years old and Abraham had a pet dinosaur.

State's rights, imo. If a state wants to raise their kids to be a bunch of bigoted, Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), and white dumb fucks than more power to them. Doesn't make the bill right, or constitutional tho.
You're an idiot.

That would be unconstitutional you dolt.  Also, nice doltish stereotype you ignorant rough ridin' bigot.
And you're an idiot.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 06:52:49 AM »
The people of gE are more informed than the people of NC. Nobody in my office is aware of any of this, or they are too scared to have an opinion so the act ignorant.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »

No. States do not have the right to fall behind in education and drag the rest of the US down with them. The federal government needs to set standards for the states to meet. The states have their individual rights to meet those standards how they see fit.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
Yeah, the last thing this country is is a state collectively lowering their ability to support themselves.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »

You're an idiot.

And you're an idiot.

If you think the federal govt can defund a state for a passing a bill like this, well then you are brain dead.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »

No. States do not have the right to fall behind in education and drag the rest of the US down with them. The federal government needs to set standards for the states to meet. The states have their individual rights to meet those standards how they see fit.

Curious, how does adopting a state religion, any more than adopting a state bird or tree, all of the sudden make the education system substandard.

Hypothetically, if SC adopted this bill, what would change?  It's dumb, but innocuous.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »

You're an idiot.

And you're an idiot.

If you think the federal govt can defund a state for a passing a bill like this, well then you are brain dead.
Well than I must be brain dead, along with your demi-god Reagan, the Secretary of Transportation Liz Dole, and 7 rough ridin' Supreme Court Justices
http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1986/1986_86_260
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
The Federal Gov does a crap job with education anyway. Maybe they shouldn't have the right to drag the US down with them?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
The Federal Gov does a crap job with education anyway. Maybe they shouldn't have the right to drag the US down with them?

The federal government doesn't do anything but set standards and provide funding. The standards are not high enough as it is. I can't imagine how low they would be in some states without a federal mandate.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »

The federal government doesn't do anything but set standards and provide funding. The standards are not high enough as it is. I can't imagine how low they would be in some states without a federal mandate.

Guess we don't need the Dept of Education then. Besides, does setting higher standards actually work? The system is completely broken, like everything else.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »

Guess we don't need the Dept of Education then. Besides, does setting higher standards actually work? The system is completely broken, like everything else.

It would work if people were actually willing to take a hard line on students who don't meet them. You should either meet the standards or not pass.