Author Topic: Computer thread  (Read 38839 times)

The Big Train

Computer thread
« on: March 30, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
So after my computer has frozen like 15 times just trying to play a youtube video tonight, I think it's time I upgrade and get a new one.  It's a Dell laptop and I have had it for about 4 years, I know a lot of people with Imac's but have never owned one.  What does everyone recommend as far as a work/personal computer?  Looking on the laptop side as I travel alot for work. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Computer thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »
Well, imacs aren't laptops. Probably thinking Macbook.

The Big Train

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:52:11 PM »
Well, imacs aren't laptops. Probably thinking Macbook.

:dubious: Never owned an Apple computer.  Just looking for some suggestions/past experiences with different computers.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:53:26 PM »
do you enjoy using a product that assumes you have the brain function of a potato?  if so, go with the mac.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
Dell computers have never let me down. I only buy a new one when one becomes obsolete.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Big Train

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
Yeah, I had another Dell laptop before this one but it got stolen but it was great before that.  I am not savy as far as hardware goes, is there anything I should avoid as far as processors or video cards?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »
Before my current laptop, i used a Dell and really liked it.  However i don't think their prices are very competitive anymore.  I use a Lenovo brand laptop (ideapad) and really like it, great value for the money and works great.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »
Yeah, I had another Dell laptop before this one but it got stolen but it was great before that.  I am not savy as far as hardware goes, is there anything I should avoid as far as processors or video cards?

Base hardware is so commoditized these i wouldn't say there are really any "don't buy/buys" out there... pay more, get more, pay less get less.  Unless you can find one on markdown.  Everyday Gizmodo aggregates a whole bunch of clearance deals on tech stuff from around the internet, when i bought my current laptop, i just found this post from everyday for like the last week and looked through the laptops they have listed and selected from that group, think i payed $600 for a laptop regularly listed for $1k or so

The Big Train

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »
I follow Gizmodo on twitter so I will look out for this, youtube has frozen at least 12 more times since I started this thread so it's time.  This current computer may end up on the back deck or in the bottom of the pool at this rate by the end of the night  :curse:

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »
Before my current laptop, i used a Dell and really liked it.  However i don't think their prices are very competitive anymore.  I use a Lenovo brand laptop (ideapad) and really like it, great value for the money and works great.

I agree, Dell has become less competitive price-wise, but I'll pay extra to get a product I trust. That said, I have also heard good things about Lenovo. In fact, my go-to IT guy tried pretty hard to sell me one the other day, even though I wasn't in the market for a new computer.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
I follow Gizmodo on twitter so I will look out for this, youtube has frozen at least 12 more times since I started this thread so it's time.  This current computer may end up on the back deck or in the bottom of the pool at this rate by the end of the night  :curse:

http://gizmodo.com/dealzmodo/

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »
do you enjoy using a product that assumes you have the brain function of a potato?  if so, go with the mac.

:facepalm:

The Big Train

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »

http://gizmodo.com/dealzmodo/

Will def look at this everyday, idk what has happened to my current laptop.  Up to date on all anti-virus, spam, spy-ware, everything, I mean Firefox has started to freeze, I guess it's just time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:39:33 PM by The Big Train »

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
My computer is pretty nice. That goes without saying though.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Computer thread
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »
So after my computer has frozen like 15 times just trying to play a youtube video tonight, I think it's time I upgrade and get a new one.  It's a Dell laptop and I have had it for about 4 years, I know a lot of people with Imac's but have never owned one.  What does everyone recommend as far as a work/personal computer?  Looking on the laptop side as I travel alot for work.

I was given a Dell in grad school. Had it for like 6-7 years. Then got a MacBook Pro. I don't know much about computers, but jumping from a 2005 Dell to a 2012 MacBook was pretty rough ridin' enjoyable.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:26 AM »
details on:
budget
programs you run
is an optical drive necessary
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »

I was given a Dell in grad school. Had it for like 6-7 years. Then got a MacBook Pro. I don't know much about computers, but jumping from a 2005 Dell to a 2012 MacBook was pretty rough ridin' enjoyable.

Jumping from a 2005 dell to anything would be enjoyable.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 08:10:13 PM »
I had like a 2006 Dell B130 laptop or something like that. I called it the B1 Bomber :D

If you're a rich ass, i'd get a macbook. otherwise, just look for a good deal elsewhere.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Computer thread
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »
poor person alert

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Computer thread
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
dell is crap, don't support that crap company

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Computer thread
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 08:26:07 PM »
back up your important files to an external HDD and reformat your laptop, reinstall your OS and profit.  before that try to reinstall flash.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
Get a laptop with an SSD
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »
Build your own computer.  As long as you can follow directions and have a better understanding of technology than an octogenarian, it's pretty simple.  You can get something more powerful than a prebuilt for a fraction of the price and it won't come pre-loaded with a bunch of garbage programs.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Computer thread
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 08:40:29 PM »
Build your own computer.  As long as you can follow directions and have a better understanding of technology than an octogenarian, it's pretty simple.  You can get something more powerful than a prebuilt for a fraction of the price and it won't come pre-loaded with a bunch of garbage programs.
this just isn't true anymore

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »
this just isn't true anymore

I know :frown:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best