Author Topic: Good news for the US economy  (Read 3301 times)

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
Good news for the US economy
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/08/great-news-on-jobs-unemployment-rate-falls-to-7-7-236k-added-to-payrolls/

The latest report on the state of the U.S. job market offered good news all around, the best reading in months on the state of the economy.

Jobs? There were 236,000 more of them on U.S. employers’ payrolls in February than in January. The unemployment rate? Down to 7.7 percent, from 7.9 percent. Wages? Private-sector pay rose 0.6 percent as people both worked more hours and at a higher hourly wage.

:dance:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Good news for the US economy
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
Labor non participation force approaching 90 million Americans.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
i thought the sequester was going to cost 750k jobs?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »
Labor non participation force approaching 90 million Americans.

If this keeps up the unemployment rate could theoretically be 0.0!!

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:36:02 PM »
Up to half of the people leaving the labor force are baby boomers who are retiring.  Quit trying to piss in everyone's cheerios, you butthurt conservatives.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
My sister (KU grad) got laid off for the second time but found another job and she's pretty pumped!  :excited: :eye:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
The labor participation rate amongst the age groups that are going to have to pay for this mess are not good, if it weren't for the increase in labor participation by those of retirement age, the overall picture would be very bleak.   A significant portion of the labor non participaton force were simply declared "unemployable" by the government.

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »
The labor participation rate amongst the age groups that are going to have to pay for this mess are not good, if it weren't for the increase in labor participation by those of retirement age, the overall picture would be very bleak.   A significant portion of the labor non participaton force were simply declared "unemployable" by the government.

Laborforce participation for those ages 25-65 was 77 percent. Down a whopping 3 percentage points from the all-time high in 1997. So with population growth, more people are employed now in a depressed economy than when the labor participation rate was at its highest level ever with a booming economy.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »

You act like this is the first time in the history of calculating the unemployment rate that the actual rate is higher due to people leaving the labor force.  It's always been this way.  Quit being so goddamn butthurt all the time.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
:(

Unfortunately I lost all my money investing in solar panel companies back in 2010

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »

You act like this is the first time in the history of calculating the unemployment rate that the actual rate is higher due to people leaving the labor force.  It's always been this way.  Quit being so goddamn butthurt all the time.

Yet if you weren't called on it, you'd try and say everyone leaving the the workforce was retiring.   Quit being so butthurt about the factual reality that the government by decree can just remove an ability bodied individual from the work force and thus not have to count them in the unemployment  numbers.

06 . . . population growth works both ways in the labor force participation "game".   Fewer workers supporting more people on entitlement programs.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 01:09:27 PM »

Yet if you weren't called on it, you'd try and say everyone leaving the the workforce was retiring.   Quit being so butthurt about the factual reality that the government by decree can just remove an ability bodied individual from the work force and thus not have to count them in the unemployment  numbers.

06 . . . population growth works both ways in the labor force participation "game".   Fewer workers supporting more people on entitlement programs.

Every time there's good news regarding the economy you try to discredit it.  Why is that? 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »

Every time there's good news regarding the economy you try to discredit it.  Why is that?

I'm in business, I like good news, but I am not going to pretend that there's not fewer people working, supporting even more people taking (and I don't mean that in a mean way).   I am not going to pretend that the government doesn't offload able bodied and minded people out of the labor ranks using a standard that they themselves set.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
My sister (KU grad) got laid off for the second time but found another job and she's pretty pumped!  :excited: :eye:

Grats to your sister

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »

Grats to your sister

:thumbs: :cheers:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »

I'm in business, I like good news, but I am not going to pretend that there's not fewer people working, supporting even more people taking (and I don't mean that in a mean way).   I am not going to pretend that the government doesn't offload able bodied and minded people out of the labor ranks using a standard that they themselves set.

The truth is that globalization has created a situation where it's much more profitable for big businesses to outsource jobs overseas and let the government subsidize the low skilled workers than it is for those businesses to keep jobs in the United States and employ said low skilled workers.  The structure of the economy has changed and there's no going back to the way it was.   

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
The reason why many companies are hoarding money offshore is because of the policies of the current administration, so that water's down the globalization excuse to some degree.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
The reason why many companies are hoarding money offshore is because of the policies of the current administration

which policies?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »
The reason why many companies are hoarding money offshore is because of the policies of the current administration

which policies?

I heard John Chambers on one of the business channels awhile back and he pointed to tax policy which kept Cisco from bringing billions back from offshore, his reasoning stretches back across multiple administrations.   I've heard others say they won't re-domesticate jobs because of Obamacare, and you can employ Beemsian finger pointing all you want, but the policy is called OBAMAcare for a reason.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 05:16:37 PM »

which policies?

I heard John Chambers on one of the business channels awhile back and he pointed to tax policy which kept Cisco from bringing billions back from offshore.

What tax policy from this administration, though?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »
See edit above, and Chambers specifically pointed towards 1.  Unwillingness by the Administration (and Congress) to reduce corp. tax rates.  2.  General Rhetoric from the administration. 

I sense there's CEO's etc. etc. who feel like that if they're not one of the choosen ones (GE for example) they'll be targets.

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 06:05:07 PM »

That's demographics Dax, it's why Reagan raised payroll taxes on small business owners.

Labor force participation is a percentage, so it doesn't matter what the population is. The 80 percent high in 1997 is obviously better than 77 percent now. I was merely pointing out that due to population growth, there are more people actually working now than in 1997. But the demographics have certainly changed.

Not only are boomers retiring, they're also reaching that point in life where their bodies are breaking down, meaning they qualify for SS disability, Medicaid for nursing homes and a shitload more of government services.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 09:31:16 PM »
Yay!  The new normal, where middling jobs growth and a historically bad ue rate is good news.

:flush:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »
Guys, obama is doing super duper God like work with the economy. He cant help it that exactly when he started putting his brilliant regulatory overhauls and nonoppressive healthcare policies in place the economy globalized and millions of people retired and/or became disabled.  These are just coincidences that can be explained with buzzwords we libtards don't understand.  It's a "macro" problem beyond his control.

:facepalm:
 :lol:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »
I love when sugar dick gets off his shift at the plant and wrecks fools.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best