Author Topic: Google Voice  (Read 1841 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Google Voice
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
Does anyone use this with regularity? Pros? Cons?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Google Voice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »
I use it, and there are some things I like about it.  You can choose a number.  My phone number spells out goEMAW, so it is easy for me to remember.  I give my GV number to people I don't really want to talk to, like my credit card company and all the other services I have that require a phone number.

The voice mail feature is great.  If somebody leaves me a voicemail, I get an email with a transcript of the voicemail immediatly.  So I don't have to waste my time calling in and listening to some stupid message, I can just delete the thing in a second or two.

I also have an app called Groove IP that uses your GV number to make VOIP calls for free.  I do this because I have a limited number of minutes on my cell phone plan.  The call quality isn't great so I don't use it when I call people I like, but it works great if you are calling your credit card company or something. 

I can't really think of any cons.  Worst case scenario is you don't really think it is very valuable, but it is free so the only thing you lost is the 15 minutes it takes to set up.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »
I use it as my primary line. Only con is you can't send mms and you can only receive them from Sprint customers. Obviously a big con.

Pros? Can call from anywhere with an internet connection on any computer without using plan minutes. you can text from your computer through Google voice, or have texts sent to your email that you can reply to in the email chain. Can have your number ring a different phone at specific times, so sometimes I'll forward it to my work phone. Can check voice mails online or through gmail, and the email includes a transcript. can use an app like groove ip to make calls from your phone with just wifi, which is great if you live in a place with poor service.

overall, I'd give it a c+ just because of the mms. everything else is great.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »
it's also real easy to block callers.

Offline Christer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
I ported over my main number to Google Voice but it was pretty easy for me since I am on Sprint. I like it a lot but am not sure how useful it would be if I didn't have the Sprint integration. Replying to texts on my computer/tablet/phone/whatever is pretty awesome. Can set different voicemail recordings for different groups of people. Google Voice still can't handle MMS, which is the main complaint.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
How about sending pictures of your genetalia?

Offline Christer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
How about sending pictures of your genetalia?

I use gmail for that

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »
I don't like how it fails to stack conversations from contacts. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »
I use it as my primary line. Only con is you can't send mms and you can only receive them from Sprint customers. Obviously a big con.

Pros? Can call from anywhere with an internet connection on any computer without using plan minutes. you can text from your computer through Google voice, or have texts sent to your email that you can reply to in the email chain. Can have your number ring a different phone at specific times, so sometimes I'll forward it to my work phone. Can check voice mails online or through gmail, and the email includes a transcript. can use an app like groove ip to make calls from your phone with just wifi, which is great if you live in a place with poor service.

overall, I'd give it a c+ just because of the mms. everything else is great.

didn't realize that about the MMS. good to know.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
The MMS thing really is astounding. google voice basically has said nothing about it since they announced Sprint integration in 2011. Half the threads on the help forums are basically "when do we get MMS" and google never replies at all. What's worst about it is the sender doesn't know that their MMS doesn't go through - it just goes into nothing.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
what about republic wireless, has anyone used it?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Google Voice
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »

I don't think it's much of a deal. Just get a better phone and use t. mobile's 100 minute contract free plan with grooveIP.

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
It's an incredible deal, $20 for unlimited talk, text, and web.  I have a friend that has it and says it works pretty good.  Call quality is just a little worse than regular cellular, but it is acceptable.  One downside is I don't think it does MMS either.

I currently have the tmobile plan of 100 minutes for $30 a month, but Tmobile's coverage if you aren't in a city is pretty lousy.  Republic wireless uses the sprint network so it should be much better.  The only thing stopping me from switching to RW is that they only offer 1 phone, and it is pretty mediocre.  When they come out with a better phone I will probably make the switch.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »
I wasn't a huge fan of Google voice.  To each their own though.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »
I used it for communication with my employees.  Had a really shitty one that would text me (which I would constantly tell my employees not to do) and make up bad excuses.  Saved google transcripts of these texts/voicemails really made the firing process efficient.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
It's an incredible deal, $20 for unlimited talk, text, and web.  I have a friend that has it and says it works pretty good.  Call quality is just a little worse than regular cellular, but it is acceptable.  One downside is I don't think it does MMS either.

I currently have the tmobile plan of 100 minutes for $30 a month, but Tmobile's coverage if you aren't in a city is pretty lousy.  Republic wireless uses the sprint network so it should be much better.  The only thing stopping me from switching to RW is that they only offer 1 phone, and it is pretty mediocre.  When they come out with a better phone I will probably make the switch.

sprint's coverage outside of a city is pretty lousy (assuming no roaming). (I'm on virgin, which also uses Sprint towers.)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »
I used it for communication with my employees.  Had a really shitty one that would text me (which I would constantly tell my employees not to do) and make up bad excuses.  Saved google transcripts of these texts/voicemails really made the firing process efficient.

oh yeah, the ability to save and search texts is great. I use it to find addresses and stuff all the time.

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 11:33:01 AM »

sprint's coverage outside of a city is pretty lousy (assuming no roaming). (I'm on virgin, which also uses Sprint towers.)

I had heard that RW users could use Verizon towers as a backup to Sprint.  I cannot be sure of this though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »

I had heard that RW users could use Verizon towers as a backup to Sprint.  I cannot be sure of this though.

It doesn't look like it.

http://www.republicwireless.com/frequently-asked-questions

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »

I tested RW for a bit, yes the roaming is included for voice+data. But the phone isn't great, and the call quality wasn't good over wifi.

I'm now using ting, which ends up cheaper than RW since I'm a pretty light user and around wifi most of the time. Much better phone options (4G). Voice roaming, but no data roaming.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »
we use it in our office, but only as a voicemail feature.  it's great because we have our phone set up at work to automatically forward to our google voice number after so many rings. then we can have it either ring to mine and my business partner's cell phone at the same time or go straight to voice mail.  once it's in voice mail, we can either use the app and get the voice mails right on both of our cell phones or have them emailed to us with the mp3 attached. it's great that all of our voice mails are archived and saved.  the best part is that we both immediately get our voice mails no matter where we are.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »
we use it in our office, but only as a voicemail feature.  it's great because we have our phone set up at work to automatically forward to our google voice number after so many rings. then we can have it either ring to mine and my business partner's cell phone at the same time or go straight to voice mail.  once it's in voice mail, we can either use the app and get the voice mails right on both of our cell phones or have them emailed to us with the mp3 attached. it's great that all of our voice mails are archived and saved.  the best part is that we both immediately get our voice mails no matter where we are.

is there a certain setting that allows you to forward to voicemail after a certain number of rings?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 03:53:35 PM »

is there a certain setting that allows you to forward to voicemail after a certain number of rings?
well, you can set the amount of time it rings (or number of rings...I don't remember) before it goes to voice mail, but we give out our normal office number to clients.  then we had to call our phone company and have all calls automatically forwarded to our google voice number after so many seconds of ringing.  then we just set our google voice to "do not disturb" and right when it gets forwarded it goes straight to the google voice mail.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."