Author Topic: Mark it down...  (Read 1628 times)

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
  • That's just like, your opinion, man
    • View Profile
Mark it down...
« on: March 24, 2010, 05:50:53 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
untuck manhattan

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
Re: Mark it down...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:09:45 AM »
Hard to believe that the family hasn't touched the bracket but it's not impossible. Have known of people with autism or other disabilities that seem to have some time of savantism as well. Would be a great story if he ended up getting it perfect. Too bad he didn't submit it into the ESPN pool where you can will all of that cash.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:31:44 AM »
Agreed. Sucks that he didn't submit it to a site that pays big money for a perfect sheet. Would be awesome and Rain Man-like if he'd have beaten the f'n system on something like this. It's also too bad that he picked Purdue to win it all...cuz i like their chances at all.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:25:43 AM »
dear d00ds:  This isn't math.  The games have to be played.  The only form of savant that would help him in this instance would be being a savant at seeing the future.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:41:03 AM »
Yeah, this is like talking about someone who picked the winning lottery numbers.  Looking forward to next year when everyone pays attention to his bracket and it sucks.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:41 AM »
dear d00ds:  This isn't math.  The games have to be played.  The only form of savant that would help him in this instance would be being a savant at seeing the future.
Disagree.  This is like kenpom on steroids. 
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54:07 AM »
Yeah, this is like talking about someone who picked the winning lottery numbers.  Looking forward to next year when everyone pays attention to his bracket and it sucks.

would be funnier if he went 0-8 on his elite 8 picks. (if that didn't mean KSU lost.  That would remove some of the humor for me.)

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
  • That's just like, your opinion, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »
Yeah but then again the kid did pick the "upset" for u of k so i'm down with his fortune telling abilities  :cheers:

:bball:
untuck manhattan

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »
dear d00ds:  This isn't math.  The games have to be played.  The only form of savant that would help him in this instance would be being a savant at seeing the future.
There's a study (obviously a little far-fetched in a lot of people's minds) done by a psychiatrist whose a professor at the University of Wisconsin that allegedly found links to ESP in some autistic savants. The professor that wrote the study is pretty well respected in the psychiatric community and is an expert on savantism. So if you believe that sort of thing (not saying that I do), then it isn't necessarily impossible to believe that the kid didn't just get lucky.

It's also possible that the kid just knew his crap and was actually able to predict each game correctly from his knowledge of the teams (his family said that he memorized things so ridiculous as the height of each player on each team). If you just gave some person with no knowledge of the teams a bracket and had them fill it out then they would have a 1 in nearly 13.5 million chance to get it right.

Or it very well may have been just luck (or the family editing his bracket after the games were played), which is what my instincts would have me guess. Regardless, I'd love to hear what the kid has to say about why he picked each team in the games that he did.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:58:42 AM by waks »

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:17:13 AM »
That kid is probably an excellent driver and wears K-Mart undies

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
Disagree.  This is like kenpom on steroids. 

More like kenpom on Ritalin.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:28:50 AM »
dear d00ds:  This isn't math.  The games have to be played.  The only form of savant that would help him in this instance would be being a savant at seeing the future.
There's a study (obviously a little far-fetched in a lot of people's minds) done by a psychiatrist whose a professor at the University of Wisconsin that allegedly found links to ESP in some autistic savants. The professor that wrote the study is pretty well respected in the psychiatric community and is an expert on savantism. So if you believe that sort of thing (not saying that I do), then it isn't necessarily impossible to believe that the kid didn't just get lucky.

It's also possible that the kid just knew his crap and was actually able to predict each game correctly from his knowledge of the teams (his family said that he memorized things so ridiculous as the height of each player on each team). If you just gave some person with no knowledge of the teams a bracket and had them fill it out then they would have a 1 in nearly 13.5 million chance to get it right.

Or it very well may have been just luck (or the family editing his bracket after the games were played), which is what my instincts would have me guess. Regardless, I'd love to hear what the kid has to say about why he picked each team in the games that he did.

Yeah, my point was that no amount of analyzing the teams and being able to break down matchups would help him to any measurable extent more than just going by vegas odds.  Shots have to fall and being able to break down air pressure in the gym isn't going to help to any measurable results over what the odds already say.  Now, the thing about autism being connected to ESP has gotten my attention because I am a stron believer in magic.  But I'm with you on his parents filling out his bracket for him (or him filling it out after the fact and they not knowing about it.  Probably ignore the hell out of him anyway).