Author Topic: San Francisco things  (Read 149513 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #325 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:51 PM »
Yeah, those nite life things look great.  I wanted to go, but got scared cause I'm not very hip.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:03 PM »
I would go every single Thursday if I lived here.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:40 PM »

well this makes me sad.  would've been a great encounter

puni and I have already met! In a place slightly different from SF!

ok not so sad!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 15, 2013, 12:23:20 AM »

Chinatown Messenger Bags

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 16, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 16, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
So close. If only it were skinny jeans, PBR, kickball and acoustic guitars; it could have earned the GawkerMedia Seal of Approval.

From the comments  :lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
So close. If only it were skinny jeans, PBR, kickball and acoustic guitars; it could have earned the GawkerMedia Seal of Approval.

From the comments  :lol:

it really does sound a lot like the scene at Dolores park

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 10, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
I'm gonna just post every gentrification article I come across for a week or so. It's pretty hilarious.

Here, people being upset about realtors renaming a neighborhood to increase property values:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/can-realtors-rebrand-oakland/Content?oid=3732577&utm_content=buffer4d7ad&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/housing/2013/10/where-even-middle-class-cant-afford-live-any-more/7194/

In reality, yes, the median household income in metropolitan San Francisco is higher than it is in Akron (by about $30,000). But that smaller income will buy you much, much more in Ohio. To be more specific, if you make the median income in Akron – a good proxy for a spot in the local middle class – 86 percent of the homes on the market there this month are likely within your budget.

If you're middle-class in San Francisco, on the other hand, that figure is just 14 percent. Your money will buy you no more than 1,000 square feet on average. That property likely isn't located where you'd like to live. And the options available to you on the market are even fewer than they were just a year ago, according to data crunched by Trulia. To frame this another way, the median income in metro San Francisco is about 60 percent higher than it is in Akron. But the median for-sale housing price per square foot today is about 700 percent higher.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 10, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/housing/2013/10/where-even-middle-class-cant-afford-live-any-more/7194/

In reality, yes, the median household income in metropolitan San Francisco is higher than it is in Akron (by about $30,000). But that smaller income will buy you much, much more in Ohio. To be more specific, if you make the median income in Akron – a good proxy for a spot in the local middle class – 86 percent of the homes on the market there this month are likely within your budget.

If you're middle-class in San Francisco, on the other hand, that figure is just 14 percent. Your money will buy you no more than 1,000 square feet on average. That property likely isn't located where you'd like to live. And the options available to you on the market are even fewer than they were just a year ago, according to data crunched by Trulia. To frame this another way, the median income in metro San Francisco is about 60 percent higher than it is in Akron. But the median for-sale housing price per square foot today is about 700 percent higher.

I live in the East Bay (because it's so much cheaper), and even here, every single homeowner I know did it with some sort of down payment assistance from family. No one can buy their first house without some sort of help like that. I think there's a serious bubble here.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 10, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
my mom just moved into a place that's similar to one she rented in topeka for 800 a month, but with a smaller yard.  it's now 3500 a month :sdeek:

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 10, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
my mom just moved into a place that's similar to one she rented in topeka for 800 a month, but with a smaller yard.  it's now 3500 a month :sdeek:

3500 in Topeka? Or san fran?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 10, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »

3500 in Topeka? Or san fran?

east bay

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2013, 04:10:12 PM »
$800 in Topeka?? Was it the Governor's Mansion? OMG LOL LOL LOL  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 10, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
$800 in Topeka?? Was it the Governor's Mansion? OMG LOL LOL LOL  :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe it was!  :Wha:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 10, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »

I live in the East Bay (because it's so much cheaper), and even here, every single homeowner I know did it with some sort of down payment assistance from family. No one can buy their first house without some sort of help like that. I think there's a serious bubble here.

Are all the tech companies paying enough for people to afford this housing and driving the price up, like all the gentrification people are claiming? What other factors are playing into it? Really desirable sushi? Mustaches on cars? :dunno:
I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 10, 2013, 10:53:31 PM »

maybe it was!  :Wha:
The governors mansion has a really nice yard, it would go for $1000/month, easy
I'm purple down

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 11, 2013, 07:31:29 AM »

Are all the tech companies paying enough for people to afford this housing and driving the price up, like all the gentrification people are claiming? What other factors are playing into it? Really desirable sushi? Mustaches on cars? :dunno:

The things you listed are results, not causes. The problem is a basic lack of supply and high demand. The same people crying about their high rents and changing neighborhoods (mostly well-off educated white people) vigorously oppose virtually any new housing construction unless the units are "affordable". Instead of acknowledging this, they just blame the supply side and assume techies are the group of newcomers most at fault because some of them make decent money.

Techies are vilified in a really disturbing way here that's unlike anything I've seen anywhere. I mean there is a legitimate hate for workers simply because they are tech workers, mostly based on anecdotes of dirty looks, overheard conversations, and the occasional stupid blog post. The general sentiment is "they don't care about the community as much as I do ".
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:35:50 AM by michigancat »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 11, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
san fran, number 1 in places where you should mock people before you die

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 11, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
this article mentions gentrification but I'm honestly not 100% sure what's going on here

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2013/10/semen_jack_spade.php

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 11, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
i don't think sf real estate prices are in a bubble at all.  sf is really small, it's not really fair to compare a sf price to an akron price, for example, because the akron median includes a lot of prices that would be alameda, oakland, san jose, etc if they were translated to the bay area.

and also, it's san franfuckingcisco, not rough ridin' akron.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 11, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
read a good thing the other day about how the grouping of like minded people that drew them together doesn't happen anymore because it doesn't need to. a lot of things that could only happen when people were interacting now happen online. jobs are the same way. a larger percentage of the jobs out there are available from wherever you are all the time. doesn't make living in phoenix or some other loserville any more desirable though I guess.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 11, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
i don't think sf real estate prices are in a bubble at all.  sf is really small, it's not really fair to compare a sf price to an akron price, for example, because the akron median includes a lot of prices that would be alameda, oakland, san jose, etc if they were translated to the bay area.

and also, it's san franfuckingcisco, not rough ridin' akron.

it's a poor comparison, but that doesn't mean there isn't a bubble.

read a good thing the other day about how the grouping of like minded people that drew them together doesn't happen anymore because it doesn't need to. a lot of things that could only happen when people were interacting now happen online. jobs are the same way. a larger percentage of the jobs out there are available from wherever you are all the time. doesn't make living in phoenix or some other loserville any more desirable though I guess.

I think industries will continue to be somewhat clustered. There's still a lot of value to face-to-face interaction, and there's starting to be a bit of a backlash against working from home.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 12, 2013, 12:51:14 AM »
it's a poor comparison, but that doesn't mean there isn't a bubble.

there's 7 billion people in the world and 99.9% of them would rather live in sf than where they live.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."