Author Topic: San Francisco things  (Read 149506 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #1650 on: January 19, 2021, 12:05:42 PM »
While people in Texas are resentful of California people moving here, it's not as noticeable as in Idaho.  Literally saw signs in people's yards in ID telling people from CA to go back home.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: January 19, 2021, 12:11:48 PM »
that's funny because no one is really from california

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: January 19, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
that's funny because none one is really from california

yeah and who the eff's from Idaho?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 19, 2021, 12:58:44 PM »
My anecdotal evidence (Idaho, Colorado, Arizona) suggests that most locals despise Californians when their influx becomes noticeable. Then when housing prices rise, and politics shift, the natives really ramp up the dislike.
the jealous complaint I have heard from Coloradans is they sell some POS in a CA metro and buy the house next door in cash

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 27, 2021, 01:35:25 AM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 27, 2021, 03:44:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/jnewsgabe/status/1354319055277105152

lol from the "San Francisco Remembered" group

Last night the School Board erased my childhood.  They voted to re name 42 schools in San Francisco.  So Abraham Lincoln will no longer exist after April, 2021.

The Lincoln renaming thing is pretty wild, I've heard of that in other places out here too.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 27, 2021, 03:57:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/jnewsgabe/status/1354319055277105152

lol from the "San Francisco Remembered" group

Last night the School Board erased my childhood.  They voted to re name 42 schools in San Francisco.  So Abraham Lincoln will no longer exist after April, 2021.

The Lincoln renaming thing is pretty wild, I've heard of that in other places out here too.

The Lincoln thing is very weird IMO.

Here in JoCo the Shawnee Mission school district is removing the Indian Mascot from Shawnee Mission North which is kind of ironic 

The name Shawnee Mission derives from the Shawnee Methodist Mission, a mission to the Shawnee tribe, founded in 1830 in present-day Wyandotte County, Kansas by the Methodist church. The mission was moved to what is now Johnson County in 1839.

Also a ton of elementary schools in the area are named after Indian tribes like Apache/Commanche/Pawnee etc.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: January 27, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »
The Lincoln renaming thing is pretty wild.

weirder to me the removing of names intrinsically associated with california history.  they don't want a california with schools named after "mission" or "presidio"?  and i'd love to hear an explanation for alamos' offense.  allergies, i guess.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 27, 2021, 06:28:48 PM »
The Lincoln renaming thing is pretty wild.

weirder to me the removing of names intrinsically associated with california history.  they don't want a california with schools named after "mission" or "presidio"?  and i'd love to hear an explanation for alamos' offense.  allergies, i guess.

well, the Missions are pretty widely associated with genocide

I googled the alamo one specifically, and Mr. Nice Guy, Bud Stevenson weighed in (not sure if this was the actual rationale given or or Mr. Nice Guy is projecting):

Here’s one that’s beyond belief: Mission High School, named for Spain’s California missions, and, according to the Names Committee, “all California missions are sites of slavery and colonization.” The school district also has an Alamo Elementary, and the name “Alamo,” which means “cottonwood” in Spanish, has the more nefarious association of “Remember the Alamo.” And that phrase was “a call for vengeance against Mexicans.”

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr-news/opinion/local-opinion-columnists/mr-nice-guy-names-advisory-committee-runs-amok-in-sf/

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 27, 2021, 06:32:22 PM »
good grief.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
San Francisco things
« Reply #1660 on: January 27, 2021, 06:54:43 PM »
The anti-Lincoln stuff is genuinely baffling.

I get that the statue with the kneeling slave was cringe, but removing Lincoln’s name is dumb.

Lincoln should be remembered as a great liberator and was martyr’d for bonus points. I get that some people will claim that they actually like John Brown’s stuff better and that Lincoln is just a mainstream, sell out version, but that’s dumb.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:58:09 PM by Kat Kid »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 03, 2021, 10:35:23 AM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: February 06, 2021, 06:41:41 PM »
you probably think you've read your fill of stuff making fun of sf schoolnamegate, but what if i tell you isaac chotiner interviewed someone from the sf board?

https://twitter.com/IChotiner/status/1358191445606162432

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 07, 2021, 08:33:07 AM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: February 07, 2021, 11:10:27 AM »
With the school renaming, Bernie Privelige, and the school board saying at least kids are getting cultural education because they're with their families more, it's been quite a 2021 for SF Public schools.

Also, the school board president might but be this, but a lot of folks use the school board as a stepping stone to city supervisor (like city council) and so you get a lot of political ladder climbers who really don't give a crap about schools

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: February 07, 2021, 01:38:40 PM »
With the school renaming, Bernie Privelige, and the school board saying at least kids are getting cultural education because they're with their families more, it's been quite a 2021 for SF Public schools.

Also, the school board president might but be this, but a lot of folks use the school board as a stepping stone to city supervisor (like city council) and so you get a lot of political ladder climbers who really don't give a crap about schools

How good are the public schools in SF? On one hand I assume they are like most big city school districts and terrible but on the other hand property prices are ridiculous so maybe only rich people live in the city and send their kids to school there?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 07, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »

How good are the public schools in SF? On one hand I assume they are like most big city school districts and terrible but on the other hand property prices are ridiculous so maybe only rich people live in the city and send their kids to school there?

They are mostly bad because the rich people are either childless or move out when their kids turn 5 or do private. You would think things would get better but they really don't

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 07, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »

They are mostly bad because the rich people are either childless or move out when their kids turn 5 or do private. You would think things would get better but they really don't

I would expect nothing different from a blueanon city run by democrats for generations upon generations. Sad, but not unexpected.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 10, 2021, 01:01:52 AM »
tales of the sf school board is a delightful series.

https://twitter.com/hknightsf/status/1359382617682976768

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 10, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »
They should make a comedy tv show about the school board but just use real life events.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: February 11, 2021, 12:32:55 AM »

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 11, 2021, 06:11:45 AM »
Can't imagine SF's mayor as anti-black right wing.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 15, 2021, 08:18:39 AM »
Ben has a good grasp on his likes and you knows.