Author Topic: San Francisco things  (Read 149456 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #1025 on: April 26, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/darakerr/status/989197661512204288

Electric scooter shares have the city ENRAGED

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 26, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
cRusty.  Are you going to be engaged in any way in helping name your part of the Former United State of California when the state secedes/breaks up?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 27, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 27, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
lolol

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 27, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »
Anyone able to provide a review on these rent-a-scooters? I've noticed them popping up in my universe.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 27, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »
Anyone able to provide a review on these rent-a-scooters? I've noticed them popping up in my universe.
They exploded in the last month and all I've heard about it is how much people hate them. (Never heard from anyone who used one)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 31, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »

http://www.sfexaminer.com/activists-block-tech-bus-commute-say-e-scooters-treated-better-homeless/

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 31, 2018, 07:07:29 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 31, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/05/electric-scooters-are-the-cargo-shorts-of-transportation/561440/

Yes, of course. Cyclists are annoyed by most stimuli. But there is another irritant in this particular ointment. Scooters accelerate out of a stop faster than bicycles, but the top speed of most scooters is below that of all but the slowest bikes. So if you come out of a stop next to a cyclist, you immediately lurch forward and pass them, only to watch them pass you five seconds later. And it is annoying to pass someone in the bike lane.

The only time I encountered these in a bike lane in SF they could go faster than I would normally ride, and I ride every day and generally keep up with most folks not in spandex. But if he's in a slower one, he should just let bikes go first.

I agree they look very fun. I'm pretty sure they're getting banned in SF soon, but I don't pay much attention to them beyond people losing their crap over them.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: May 31, 2018, 07:48:29 PM »
I like The Atlantic, but it's not exactly my top choice to get the quick and dirty on a topic. So, I'm not gonna read that article until I have a long flight or something...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 31, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »
I like The Atlantic, but it's not exactly my top choice to get the quick and dirty on a topic. So, I'm not gonna read that article until I have a long flight or something...

Do you consume the ‘Longform’ podcast? It’s like drinking the Atlantic through a nice straw.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 01, 2018, 12:33:10 AM »

Do you consume the ‘Longform’ podcast? It’s like drinking the Atlantic through a nice straw.
No. I prefer the 'Longhorn' podcast, but I'll chex it out.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 05, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 05, 2018, 03:24:53 PM »
i've been thinking about leaving (ca, not bay area) since before i moved here.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 06, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
:dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 19, 2018, 10:24:53 PM »
@michigancat I'm looking to road trip down the coast with my dog after labor day weekend, probably ending in SF by Thursday, or at least Friday and heading back mid-Sunday.

I know nothing.  Hadn't even opened this thread because it started when I was away and got too big to catch up.  Which would be better between these two free Hyatts as far as a base to go do stuff from?  I'll obviously have my car but wouldn't want to drive anywhere except maybe to go see BeastMode in Oakland (and only if you recommended driving over some transit option) or maybe to do something nature-y with the dog.

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
345 Stockton Street

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
5 Embarcadero Center

T-Y.  And if this works out, let's PAK for the 9am football game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 20, 2018, 02:35:14 PM »
@michigancat I'm looking to road trip down the coast with my dog after labor day weekend, probably ending in SF by Thursday, or at least Friday and heading back mid-Sunday.

I know nothing.  Hadn't even opened this thread because it started when I was away and got too big to catch up.  Which would be better between these two free Hyatts as far as a base to go do stuff from?  I'll obviously have my car but wouldn't want to drive anywhere except maybe to go see BeastMode in Oakland (and only if you recommended driving over some transit option) or maybe to do something nature-y with the dog.

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
345 Stockton Street

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
5 Embarcadero Center

T-Y.  And if this works out, let's PAK for the 9am football game.

I can't really help much w/ dog friendly stuff, but Fort Funston or Baker Beach are good dog beaches. Dolores Park for an afternoon if the dog can handle crowds. BeastMode is easily accessible from Bart but dogs aren't supposed to ride. if you drive something like this would be a nice East Bay hike: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/lake-anza-wildcat-gorge-meadows-canyon-curran-trails and if you like beer you could hit up Fieldwork Brewery on the way back.

"Official" KSU watch parties in SF will probably be in the Richmond this year which is busable. Doubt they let dogs in the place though.

The Embarcadero Hyatt will be closer to the ferry building and water but you'll have a lot more options to do things at Stockton even if it's a little farther from transit. They're only like a mile or so apart (mostly flat) so not even that huge of a deal to walk from one to the other.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 20, 2018, 02:59:28 PM »
:thumbs:

She'll be good chilling in the hotel when I go to do non-dog stuff.  Worked fine in Portland when I bailed for a Blazers game and I'll be able to test it over a longer trip here in a few weeks.  And she's cool with any level of crowd at a beach or park so I'll check those you listed to see when's good to try to fit one or two in.  Pretty low-maintenance all around.

Combo'n Beastmode with a hike and brewery would make taking the car out to go over that way worthwhile.  Official KSU watch party is cool - seattle's are unintentionally hilarious - but so is finding an unofficial spot.

So as far as just finding bars and interesting stuff to wander through close to the hotel, Stockton's better?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 20, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »
:thumbs:

She'll be good chilling in the hotel when I go to do non-dog stuff.  Worked fine in Portland when I bailed for a Blazers game and I'll be able to test it over a longer trip here in a few weeks.  And she's cool with any level of crowd at a beach or park so I'll check those you listed to see when's good to try to fit one or two in.  Pretty low-maintenance all around.

Combo'n Beastmode with a hike and brewery would make taking the car out to go over that way worthwhile.  Official KSU watch party is cool - seattle's are unintentionally hilarious - but so is finding an unofficial spot.

So as far as just finding bars and interesting stuff to wander through close to the hotel, Stockton's better?

yeah definitely, lots more options close to Stockton even if it's a bit touristy. It's really close to Union Square and Chinatown which is right next to North Beach which is kinda touristy but less touristy than Union Square.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 20, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »
Perfect, I'll reserve it for that Friday and Saturday night and then start planning backwards up the coast to figure out my path there.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 20, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »
After all that, forgot that the annual free night can only be for up to a category 4.  Shitty Hyatt Centric at Fisherman's Wharf it is!  I'm used to walking a lot.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 20, 2018, 04:33:27 PM »
After all that, forgot that the annual free night can only be for up to a category 4.  Shitty Hyatt Centric at Fisherman's Wharf it is!  I'm used to walking a lot.

probably more touristy than even Union Square and definitely harder to get around but IIRC that's a decent hotel. This is a wonderful bar that's real close: http://www.sweetiesartbar.com/ but there are plenty of other divey places when you get away from the Rainforest Cafe crap.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 20, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »
probably more touristy than even Union Square and definitely harder to get around but IIRC that's a decent hotel. This is a wonderful bar that's real close: http://www.sweetiesartbar.com/ but there are plenty of other divey places when you get away from the Rainforest Cafe crap.

Sounds identical to where I lived that time you were up here.  That'll work well enough.