Author Topic: Law School  (Read 17344 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
my aunt is a lawyer (University of South Dakota grad) and just bought a 2013 Lexus RX  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
my aunt is a lawyer (University of South Dakota grad) and just bought a 2013 Lexus RX  :dunno:

:horrorsurprise:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
So I watched the video that Ging posted. I'm not a pussy, have already battled addiction issues and gotten over them, I'm 27 and not a kid, I know the job market is rough, I know what most law grads that get a job are making (less than an RN). My motivations are not heroic, I'm not out to save the world. I'm out to have a career that being intelligent and hard working and well spoken and not afraid of challenges will be traits that will help me succeed. I know that is general and could apply to many things, but I thrive on competition.

I guess that was a response to the video and the comments since I last posted.

why did you come ask for input on this decision if you had already accepted that it is a bad financial/career choice and were going to do it anyway?

Because I'm not afraid. I will succeed. I know what the gen pop can get out of law school. I don't see myself as average. I also feel that the attorneys on this board are successful individuals, and that's the company I feel I would find myself in. If I thought we had a bunch of pud, jobless, idiot lawyers here, I wouldn't have asked for input.

You know what would make you more elite? Being the stud MD in goEMAW residence.

This is a very solid point. I'm still going to take the MCAT regardless. I just wanted to put feelers out about law school as well. So that if I had to choose between the two in a year, I'd have some solid advice to reflect upon.

well, that's a good plan

Sometimes I'm not a moron :D

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »

Oh yeah, well Mrs. Bf is a MD and drives a 2001 Chevy Malibu. Paid for it with cash money.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »
I think being a lawyer is the nobler profession, but being a doctor is far more lucrative. Both are good career paths, so really you should just go with what you would enjoy more.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »

Oh yeah, well Mrs. Bf is a MD and drives a 2001 Chevy Malibu. Paid for it with cash money.

Oh yeah, well Mr. SK is a student and drives a 1998 Honda Prelude. Paid for it with cash money. :gocho:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
I think being a lawyer is the nobler profession, but being a doctor is far more lucrative. Both are good career paths, so really you should just go with what you would enjoy more.

that's a pretty ridiculous generalized statement

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »
Go to med school, be an ER doc.  My bro-in-law did this.  He works a random schedule, but it averages out to 36 hours per week.  Often has streches where he's off 4-5 days in a row.  Makes a pretty decent living. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »

Well, yeah. He should do what he enjoys, though.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
The people warning against law school definitely have points.  It's a huge financial risk.  Especially for some one with aspirations for med school.  Having said that, there are ways to minimize the risk.  Getting into a kickass school is one of them.  Going to school on the cheap (through scholarships or otherwise) is another. 

There's certainly no harm in studying hard for the LSAT for a couple months and seeing if you get a great score that could do one of those two things.  If you get a 167ish and want to pay tons of money to chill at Cornell for a few years and have a ~40% chance at 160k out of law school, then go for it.  Obviously if you score higher, the risk is further minimized.  Worst case scenario, you don't get the score you want and opt for med school.

All things being equal, "doctor" seems like a much safer bet.  But hell, do whatever you think will make you happy. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »
Go to med school, be an ER doc.  My bro-in-law did this.  He works a random schedule, but it averages out to 36 hours per week.  Often has streches where he's off 4-5 days in a row.  Makes a pretty decent living.

I am kind of a narcissist, and every Dr I've talked to looks down upon ER docs. I mean no disrespect by that, seriously.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »

Well, yeah. He should do what he enjoys, though.

That's really what I'm after. A job that is challenging and hard and requires dedication. A job that is competitive and I can feel good about kicking ass at. I know it may be sad that I can't just being happy being happy but rely on others knowing I'm great, but I am who I am.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
My two good lawyer friends (Vandy Law, UNC Law) say, "Don't do it".

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
I would say you should just put all your chips on the law school table, then. It sounds like you would be much happier going that route.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »

Hahaha, ok, dually noted!

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »

To be fair, every single on of my law school buddies say this... most mean it. However, if it is something you find you love, just as in any job, it is an extremely rewarding endeavor (not speaking financially).

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
I am neither but if had to redo, I would pick something in health care.  Ppl are unhealthy as hell and only getting worse.  Also ppl are living longer than ever.  Put that together and doctors have a pretty solid sounding future. 

Also, every doctor I have ever had all seem very low stress and are rolling in money.  Put those two things together and it seems doctors have a pretty solid sounding future.

Go be a doc.  Don't short circuit crap because you want out a few yrs earlier.  A couple years isn't crap.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »

I am kind of a narcissist, and every Dr I've talked to looks down upon ER docs. I mean no disrespect by that, seriously.

I can see that.  It's a pretty standard job of people come in, get them comfortable, and if they need more help pass them on.  However, it's a good living.  Work ~40 hours per week to earn $200K+.  Plus if you ever want some extra $$$, just pick up a couple extra shifts.   
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 03:41:55 PM »
I'm getting an "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ODDS I'M GONNA MAKE IT" wannabe rockstar kind of vibe here.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
I'm getting an "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ODDS I'M GONNA MAKE IT" wannabe rockstar kind of vibe here.

what it takes.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
top-law-schools.com is a pretty great resource to use if you're looking for a bunch of current and prospective law student opinions.  tons of information about the application process, schools, the legal market, etc.  they're going to echo the caution about law school of most of the people in this thread.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:54 PM »
I am neither but if had to redo, I would pick something in health care.  Ppl are unhealthy as hell and only getting worse.  Also ppl are living longer than ever.  Put that together and doctors have a pretty solid sounding future. 

Also, every doctor I have ever had all seem very low stress and are rolling in money.  Put those two things together and it seems doctors have a pretty solid sounding future.

Go be a doc.  Don't short circuit crap because you want out a few yrs earlier.  A couple years isn't crap.

ENDOCRINOLOGY!  Half of the population will have type 2 diabetes by the time you're done.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »

Solid. This is why I come here for advice on things.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »

You are right, I ain't scared of crap academically.