Author Topic: Cyclone sweep; ISU ADV  (Read 4583 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cyclone sweep; ISU ADV
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »
Is crappy FTR just who we are now?

Maybe, but we can overcome that easily with shooting. we must be even on the boards and win the TO battle.

Isn’t this the issue though – we can’t.  Like, relying on jump shots inherently de-emphasizes OR and all but eliminates FTR.  The only thing left is TO.

you can be a jumpshooting team and draw fouls if you present the threat of penetration, drive & kick

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Cyclone sweep; ISU ADV
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »

Maybe, but we can overcome that easily with shooting. we must be even on the boards and win the TO battle.

Isn’t this the issue though – we can’t.  Like, relying on jump shots inherently de-emphasizes OR and all but eliminates FTR.  The only thing left is TO.

you can be a jumpshooting team and draw fouls if you present the threat of penetration, drive & kick

With only 18 minutes of Angel that threat is really diminished.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Cyclone sweep; ISU ADV
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

with 36 minutes of Angel its hard to bear that burden alone

catzacker

Re: Re: Cyclone sweep; ISU ADV
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »

I agree you can be, however  the ball in this offense tends to make its way away from the basket for a “shot” instead of at the basket. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Cyclone sweep; ISU ADV
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »

with 36 minutes of Angel its hard to bear that burden alone

Point is he is really the only that to do that.

Angel's minutes changed our defense and offense a ton today. Significant impact on both TO%, fortunately we managed efficient offense without him. But today was a clear example that we need Angel on the floor. Might not have been the complete difference, but only 18 minutes was big.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cyclone sweep; ISU ADV
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:48 PM »
Yes, his "motion" takes place at the free throw extended and up. Inferior competition can't take away the curl action that's essential to getting in the paint. He's got to find a way to get shots from 15 feet in when the curl action is taken away.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »
jesus man, he's a high energy player who will need time to develop.

"he tries".
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Cyclone sweep; ISU ADV
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »
Point is he is really the only that to do that.

yeah man, I was agreeing with you. We're saying the same thing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
jesus man, he's a high energy player who will need time to develop.

"he tries".

Well yeah, that's very important for where he is in his development. He's an 18 year old undersized true freshman playing Big 12 basketball. It would be great if we only signed players who could come in and immediately play 24-35 minutes a night. Should we not sign anyone who doesn't fit that criteria?

catzacker

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »
Yes, his "motion" takes place at the free throw extended and up. Inferior competition can't take away the curl action that's essential to getting in the paint. He's got to find a way to get shots from 15 feet in when the curl action is taken away.

“we keep telling them, take the open shot not the closer shot”

not exact, but this is basically what oscar has stated over and over again.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »

I know we've discussed this before but its so frustrating that he is insisting these guys play this style that doesn't suit these players. Its his biggest coaching weakness, that he's a one trick pony. Also not to go too far off the rails, but its bizarre that he recruited and signed Orris. How does he fit with this system? His strongest asset is his ball handling, how in the world is that a fit?

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »
I think it's kinda fitting that this kind of game came against Iowa State because we are becoming ISU. From 2013 onward, we're going to be the type of team that "can beat anyone at home" but drops too many on the road. Perhaps that's all we've ever been, but it just feels a lot worse now.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »
Well yeah, that's very important for where he is in his development. He's an 18 year old undersized true freshman playing Big 12 basketball. It would be great if we only signed players who could come in and immediately play 24-35 minutes a night. Should we not sign anyone who doesn't fit that criteria?

he's not going to get better at trying with experience.  he has little upside, and kstate shouldn't be signing players like that.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »

he's not going to get better at trying with experience.  he has little upside, and kstate shouldn't be signing players like that.

I've got to ask, what are you basing this on? Haven't you indicated you haven't watched a lot of the games this year?

I just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he can't be a solid contributor. He's a bit different, but no reason he can't be similar to Gipson, who I think is solid (when he's not in foul trouble).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »

other than playing time how is freshman Gip better than freshman DJamer?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »
DJamer at least had the body to set picks and has shown a little touch around the basket.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »
It is interesting that this year's 2nd half in Ames was actually worse than last year's.

2nd   Pace   PPP   eFG%   TO%   OR%   FTR
KSU   31   1.10   53.8%   22.6%   33.3%   30.8%
Opp   31   1.39   58.9%   16.1%   50.0%   46.4%

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=18907.msg453775#msg453775

The discussion points from last year's game in Ames are really familiar as well.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »
We rebounded like pussies and got called for a ton of ticky tack fouls.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 10:36:25 PM »
When u allow ORs to occur, u don't know what the result will be.

Today, the result was costly. 14 2nd chance Pts off of 7 ORs in the 2nd hf alone. That's 2 Pts per OR. Can't run away from it....that was the biggest stat in the game.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »

I know we've discussed this before but its so frustrating that he is insisting these guys play this style that doesn't suit these players. Its his biggest coaching weakness, that he's a one trick pony. (edited)
Both Jake and Dennis revolutionized their game with a short/mid range pull up.  Angel would do well to have the same added to his game, see his tear drop over Withey.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »
i effing hate the way we play basketball

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »
I think home team advantage in all sports is overrated

SI (iirc) did a study a couple years back showing empirical proof that home field/court advantage is very real and actually understated, and the advantage is due almost entirely to officiating being influenced to varying degrees.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 12:36:10 AM »
I've got to ask, what are you basing this on? Haven't you indicated you haven't watched a lot of the games this year?

I just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he can't be a solid contributor. He's a bit different, but no reason he can't be similar to Gipson, who I think is solid (when he's not in foul trouble).

including today, i've probably seen him play 25-30 minutes of bball.  that's enough.  if he's starting as a jr or sr, kstate will either have fantastic guards or not be a very good bball team.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 12:39:05 AM »
other than playing time how is freshman Gip better than freshman DJamer?

more skilled, stronger, bigger body, longer arms.  i'd like to say better hands too.  i haven't seen enough of johnson's hands, to evaluate him.  but i'd be very surprised if gip's weren't significantly better.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2013, 01:34:14 AM »
i effing hate the way we play basketball

I said that from 2006-2010. Sorry.