Author Topic: Rebounding  (Read 6932 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Rebounding
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »
We had 5 offensive rebounds today.   Isu had given up 57 ORs in 5 conf games.  ORs is suppose to be a strength for this team

Sorry, but i see a lack of effort today.   

Giving them 18 2nd chance pts was a killer, but us getting only 2 ourselves because our OR% is under 20 was a big issue today too

the personnel on the floor had a lot to do with that as sys mentioned

Offline CloneBroChill

• Taco Walk'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
#1 reason we lost this game.
#2 was 2nd half turnovers.
#3 ISU 3 PT shooting a distant 3rd.

Waste of a great chance to win a road game vs an upper half team.
I'm going out on a limb by saying that the number one reason Diet Kansas lost is because they scored less points than Iowa State......its possible

diet kansas

as an elite fan who has now been everywhere but wvu I can assure you that isu has the dorkiest, corniest fans anywhere, even Baylor.
:lol:

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »

I'm going out on a limb by saying that the number one reason Diet Kansas lost is because they scored less points than Iowa State......its possible

diet kansas

as an elite fan who has now been everywhere but wvu I can assure you that isu has the dorkiest, corniest fans anywhere, even Baylor.

I'm surprised you've been around for 181 posts as bad as your last 2 were  :sdeek:

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
We had 5 offensive rebounds today.   Isu had given up 57 ORs in 5 conf games.  ORs is suppose to be a strength for this team

Sorry, but i see a lack of effort today.   

Giving them 18 2nd chance pts was a killer, but us getting only 2 ourselves because our OR% is under 20 was a big issue today too

the personnel on the floor had a lot to do with that as sys mentioned

Maybe, but the 3 bigs played 39 minutes today, and Nino played 19 (Nino 7.8 ORs per 100 poss).   That should be enough fire power to get a few ORs.   Rod had 4 of the 5 today.   

Offline CloneBroChill

• Taco Walk'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 03:10:38 AM »

diet kansas

I'm surprised you've been around for 181 posts as bad as your last 2 were  :sdeek:
oh no you didnt...lol

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
At least Pig Aggie and Coal Aggie have a couple elite fans. Flood aggie just has white guys who think it's edgy to not call an opposing team by their name. What's next, is he gonna use "grape" ??  :ohno:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:15:18 AM by Domino »

Offline drunkenclone

• Taco Walk'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
At least Pig Aggie and Coal Aggie have a couple elite fans. Flood aggie just has white guys who think it's edgy to not call an opposing team by their name. What's next, is he gonna use "grape" ??  :ohno:

Not sure what the hell "elite fans" are? Also, how creative is it to refer to everyone by _____ Aggie?

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
Rebounding is somewhat based on positioning, but mostly effort. Having played and coached, can attest to the fact great rebounders are not always great athletes, usually just guys that go after all the loose orange. Rodman went after every miss and usually got a third of them. 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »
they also missed a ton of free throws.

That's a fair point, and they usually shoot really well from there.

That's goEMAW.com.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 05:59:26 AM »
Gonna need Mr bread to verify but pretty sure he told us from the get go that oscar can't motivate.rebounding is an effort stat

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 07:17:13 AM »
oscar's Illinois teams the last 3 years were nearly even (Big 10 games only) between OR% and OR% allowed; they got outboarded in each, but by less than 1%.

09 was terrible , with a -3% differential.

His first 5 years were all positive; +3, +4, +5, +4, and +6.

His final year at SIU was negative by less than 1% as well.

The key to oscar's teams' success has always been winning eFG% and TO%.

In only league games, his teams were at least +4% in both categories his final year at SIU and his first 3 years at Illinois, which was also his best run of coaching.

After that the TO% differential slipped the most; 2 years were just under +2%, but the rest oscar's Illinois teams were negative in TO% differential. All but last year's team ended up with positive differentials in eFG%.

If this team can maintain our current Big 12 numbers in eFG% and TO% differential (+3% in both) we will still win 12 or 13 games.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
Big 12 play.....we have 57 2nd chance Pts while our opp have 73.

The 18-4 adv for us vs Osu was important
Ou had a 20-5 adv and we still got the W
The 18-2 adv by Isu was clearly more costly

Basicly were even in each of other 3 games.

Offline CloneBroChill

• Taco Walk'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
Rebounding is somewhat based on positioning, but mostly effort. Having played and coached, can attest to the fact great rebounders are not always great athletes, usually just guys that go after all the loose orange. Rodman went after every miss and usually got a third of them.
Also you should probably check who the leading rebounding team is in the conference and the leading rebounder....He's 6'6"    :eek:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »

Not sure what the hell "elite fans" are? Also, how creative is it to refer to everyone by _____ Aggie?

Flood Aggie doesn't like his nickname  :bawl:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »
[edited by me]
If this team can maintain our current Big 12 numbers in eFG% and TO% differential (+3% in both) we will still win 12 or 13 games.
  :horrorsurprise: I'm really surprised at that projection.  I just don't see us getting enough rebounds to buoyed out fg with 2nd chance points.   
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 07:15:40 AM »
[edited by me]
  :horrorsurprise: I'm really surprised at that projection.  I just don't see us getting enough rebounds to buoyed out fg with 2nd chance points.   

I don't think the trend of 2nd chance points will continue. I don't think we're going to be a great oboarding team, but I think dboarding will improve enough so that its not the detriment it was in the Iowa State game.

Honestly, I think we are overreacting to the OU and ISU games. There is no doubt in that in both of those games we were very poor on the offensive glass and we got beat badly in 2nd chance points in both (+15 and +16 respectively). However, we've played  other decent teams (UM, @GW, Zag, UF, OSU, @WVU, KU) and in no other game against decent (~Top 100 kenpom) competition were we beat significantly on the offensive glass or 2nd chance points. Plus, against OSU we had a significant margin (+14).

Again, I think its a major overreaction to think that this is a trend, there are ebbs and flows like this with statistics in nearly every season, and we're in the midst of one of those.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:27:35 AM by ksu_FAN »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:22 AM »
K-State . . . only 9 missed shots in the 2nd half at ISU, 61% from the floor.

Rest of the rebounding problems.

1.  Gipson cannot jump, has difficulty adjusting to the flow of the game. 

2.  Jo has horrible hands and is lazy . . . .  The kid never has really put it all together outside of a few stretches here and there, and likely never will.   Straight from a AAA+ source, probably lacks the mental and intellectual capacity to ever really get it.   Probably costing himself hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions by his lack of effort and engagment. 

3.  Diaz . . . still a deer in the headlights, mediocre hands.   

So that just leaves Rodney and he can't do everything. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
K-State . . . only 9 missed shots in the 2nd half at ISU, 61% from the floor.

Rest of the rebounding problems.

1.  Gipson cannot jump, has difficulty adjusting to the flow of the game. 

2.  Jo has horrible hands and is lazy . . . .  The kid never has really put it all together outside of a few stretches here and there, and likely never will.   Straight from a AAA+ source, probably lacks the mental and intellectual capacity to ever really get it.   Probably costing himself hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions by his lack of effort and engagment. 

3.  Diaz . . . still a deer in the headlights, mediocre hands.   

So that just leaves Rodney and he can't do everything. 

To be fair, I think the main issue for the horse beaters after this game is allowing Iowa State to rebound 1/3 of their own misses. There is no reason any of those guys can't get position and go after the ball. I don't think that we completely lacked effort against Iowa State, but I also agree that although there is technique involved in rebounding, there is an aspect that is simply tied to effort. At times I thought that was lacking in Ames.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
We also changed coaches and rebounding is something that can be both coached and affected by the coach's philosophy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »
Also, can someone give dax a primer on OR%? He would seem like less of a dumbass if someone did and he didn't ignore it.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »
Nino seems to enjoy rebounding. I'd love for him to stop shooting the 18 foot jumper and just concentrate on 2nd chance points.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
Also, can someone give dax a primer on OR%? He would seem like less of a dumbass if someone did and he didn't ignore it.

I know exactly what it is, but how rough ridin' difficult is it to comprehend that there were exactly NINE chances to get an offensive rebound in the second half at Iowa state . . . NINE.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
This is an enjoyable basketball thread about basketball.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Rebounding
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »

I know exactly what it is, but how rough ridin' difficult is it to comprehend that there were exactly NINE chances to get an offensive rebound in the second half at Iowa state . . . NINE.

OR% makes the number of rebounding opportunities irrelevant.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Rebounding
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »

OR% makes the number of rebounding opportunities irrelevant.

Maybe if you have a much smaller number of opportunities each game then you are less practiced at it and less enthusiastic about chasing them down because it just doesn't happen all that often.  You expect your shots to fall and therefore aren't anticipating the OR opportunity as much, not as ready for it.  Maybe their lower OR% is a direct result of oscar getting more of their shots to fall and also raising their confidence in their shooting abilities so much that they just subconciously assume it's going in and don't need to get ORs and thus are slower in reacting.  What you're seeing is supremely confident offensive cats out there probably. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.