Author Topic: Layoffs  (Read 31936 times)

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
Re: Layoffs
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »
I don't really have a trust fund. But I do have a pretty good size savings account, and if I got laid off I would have time and a steady, though smaller, income to figure out what I want to do. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. (Also, still not a sock.)

Gonna go out on a limb and say your "good size savings account" isn't that large.  Also I think you don't know how accumulating money works, not judging though.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »
guess you just threw us for a curveball when you said you want to be laid off, most sane adults hope to keep their jobs, not hard to understand

maybe she hates her job?  that would really suck.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »
I started a new job today. There is actually a goEMAW member that works here (and posts from work...), but he doesn't know I work here, yet. I plan on messing with him.

:runaway:  :ohno:  :runaway:  :ohno:
I'm purple down

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
I don't really have a trust fund. But I do have a pretty good size savings account, and if I got laid off I would have time and a steady, though smaller, income to figure out what I want to do. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. (Also, still not a sock.)
how long will that savings account cover 2 mortgage payments?

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
guess you just threw us for a curveball when you said you want to be laid off, most sane adults hope to keep their jobs, not hard to understand

I don't hate it. I'm just sick of it. Would like to do something else, but I don't know what. I can safely rule out lawyer and engineer, though. Thanks, goEMAW!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 10:08:55 PM »

I don't hate it. I'm just sick of it. Would like to do something else, but I don't know what. I can safely rule out lawyer and engineer, though. Thanks, goEMAW!

what could be so bad about being a sock?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »
I think she has a future in for-profit education.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »
Next, I bet Willesgirl tells us all she wants to have some kids.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »

i'm taking odds that she "hates" kids.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »

i'm taking odds that she "hates" kids.

I don't know what quotation-mark hates quotation-mark kids even means. I like kids fine. But I'm old fashioned and think I should be married first. Meanwhile, what's this I hear about a job in for-profit education? Does it pay well? Do they have a program for paralegals?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Layoffs
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
I would LOVE to get laid off. Unemployment is like eight million years right now, and they keep extending it.

You must make jack crap.  Unemployment would pay a fraction of what I spend.  I would be very, very unhappy on unemployment.

yeah, i think she has a poor understanding of how unemployment works.  not that i'm surprised.

It's 3/4 of what you make, right? Between that and my trust fund, I'd be fine. AND I wouldn't have to work.

The maximum you can get from unemployment is a little over $300 per week, depending on your state, and it's based on your salary and what you have have paid in to it.

I certainly wouldn't be fine with that.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:21 AM »
I would LOVE to get laid off. Unemployment is like eight million years right now, and they keep extending it.

You must make jack crap.  Unemployment would pay a fraction of what I spend.  I would be very, very unhappy on unemployment.

yeah, i think she has a poor understanding of how unemployment works.  not that i'm surprised.

It's 3/4 of what you make, right? Between that and my trust fund, I'd be fine. AND I wouldn't have to work.

The maximum you can get from unemployment is a little over $300 per week, depending on your state, and it's based on your salary and what you have have paid in to it.

It's over $400 in Texas.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Layoffs
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »

It's over $400 in Texas.
Which still sucks balls and taints
:adios:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Layoffs
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 07:27:42 AM »

It's over $400 in Texas.
Which still sucks balls and taints

Agreed. Equivalent to $10/hr.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Layoffs
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 07:33:20 AM »
Ya, KS is higher like TX, IIRC, but the national average is $300 ish.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 07:43:18 AM »
Ks tops out at like 450.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
those are pre-tax dollars fwiw

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »
I think she has a future in for-profit education.

lol

Offline Diamond Dave

• Fan
  • Rock the EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »
I worked in the field team of a restaurant corporation a few years ago. They had this huge party/meeting in Vegas announcing their big plans for the new year which included raises and relocating almost all of us. They moved me from Chicago to Orange County. Two months later I was driving to a meeting and got a call from a dude from HR I had never talked to or even heard of. He apologized the he had to be the one to tell me, but I was being laid off. We really value your service, it's not performance based, etc. I took my severance package, turned my car around and went and got hammered. They ended up laying off 60% of the field team and 40% of the company. Apparently there was a big balloon payment on their loan and they needed cash fast. It was fun while it lasted, I guess.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
I started a new job today. There is actually a goEMAW member that works here (and posts from work...), but he doesn't know I work here, yet. I plan on messing with him.

BCBS?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2013, 02:46:32 AM »
Do they have a program for paralegals?

goEMAW has at times had a program for paralegals.  It's called the EMAWprentice.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »
Do they have a program for paralegals?

goEMAW has at times had a program for paralegals.  It's called the EMAWprentice.

Sounds like Willesgirl showed up on the scene a few months late.
:adios:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
So, they told all the people that got laid off on Monday that they could come back into the office over the next two weeks to use the company resources if they wanted. One guy that was laid off has come in every day and stayed all day. I have no idea what he's doing or why he keeps coming in but it seems odd. Based on his reputation of being a habitual user of pain pills one might think he just forgot that he was let go. But he tells everyone that walks by that he was fired and that he's going to miss them.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
So, they told all the people that got laid off on Monday that they could come back into the office over the next two weeks to use the company resources if they wanted. One guy that was laid off has come in every day and stayed all day. I have no idea what he's doing or why he keeps coming in but it seems odd. Based on his reputation of being a habitual user of pain pills one might think he just forgot that he was let go. But he tells everyone that walks by that he was fired and that he's going to miss them.

He hasn't told his wife yet that he lost his job. He needs someplace to go everyday.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »

He hasn't told his wife yet that he lost his job. He needs someplace to go everyday.