Author Topic: Game of Thrones book discussion thread  (Read 52572 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #575 on: April 06, 2015, 03:47:55 PM »
I read a thing online a week or so ago about when the next book comes out.  There is obvsly still no official date, but some nerd took the time to look at GRRM's blog, correlate his daily mood postings, and compare that to the last three or so books timeline for ramp up, release, etc and he argues that everything is pointing to a release very soon.  He then went on to calc out the words per day production of the last several books and chart that.  He has a chart that shows the book coming out as early as late summer this year, to fall 2017. 

In summary, it is pretty crazy the amt of time some nerds have on their hands.

So the book will come out anywhere from 4 months to 2 and a half years from now? I could have told you that without any analysis.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 06, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »
There's too much else out there.  I don't care anymore.  I'm not merely flaccid on it, it fell off. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 06, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »

There's too much else out there.  I don't care anymore.  I'm not merely flaccid on it, it fell off.

PREDICTION:  You will get your balls jiggled just like the rest of us, and be right back in here.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 06, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »

PREDICTION:  You will get your balls jiggled just like the rest of us, and be right back in here.

Yep. Lady Stonedick.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 07, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »

I've never cared less about anything in my entire life. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 07, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »

Well, lay some good ones on me, my man (or bump the book thread).  You have given me some great ones in the past, and I am asking for more.  I want to be entertained, and you seem to get that, and don't recommend the boring egg head crap that Michigan and Kat Kid push (yuck).

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 07, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »

Well, lay some good ones on me, my man (or bump the book thread).  You have given me some great ones in the past, and I am asking for more.  I want to be entertained, and you seem to get that, and don't recommend the boring egg head crap that Michigan and Kat Kid push (yuck).

A Land Fit For Heroes trilogy was entertaining. 

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=3492.msg1326710#msg1326710

Barely any gay sex in the second two books if it matters. 

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 14, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
I finished the Princess and the Queen and it was very good. I couldn't figure out how to join that Wiki page thing.

I also saw a book at the library called Hunter's Run by GRRM (and a couple other people) so I picked it up and it was good too. (Very different from ASoIaF though.)
Listening to the audio book of the princess and the queen on my flight.  Jorah Mormont aka Iain Glenn does the reading. I mean wow, you guys.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 11, 2016, 11:22:16 PM »
I wish hed'd quite doing excerpts and release the goddamn book! I mean, i consume my GRRM via Roy Dotrice readings: do you know how old that [redacted] is?  Everyone's worried about George keeling over from a ham sandwich before the series is done but Roy is about to be ninty-rough ridin'-six years old!!!! His days are limited!

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 11, 2016, 11:23:20 PM »
Related note: that post checking his age made me realize the guy who does the audiobooks for ASOIAF was the pyromancer in the TV show. That's great!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 12, 2016, 06:14:24 AM »
Has Jon connington been in the show?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 12, 2016, 08:40:32 AM »
No.  It has to come up pretty quickly, though.  Either that, or that spur is a failed hope and the third dragon pilot will be Tyrion or someone else and the show is going to ignore it for time reasons.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 12, 2016, 08:46:15 AM »
I wish hed'd quite doing excerpts and release the goddamn book! I mean, i consume my GRRM via Roy Dotrice readings: do you know how old that [redacted] is?  Everyone's worried about George keeling over from a ham sandwich before the series is done but Roy is about to be ninty-rough ridin'-six years old!!!! His days are limited!

Here you go....
https://aboveaverage.com/george-r-r-martin-im-pulling-a-wonka-and-hiring-a-nerd-to-finish-game-of-thrones/
 :lol:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 12, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »
Has Jon connington been in the show?

jon connington has not been in the show.

do you think the show will try to squeeze in arianne, quentyn, young griff, etc? i hope not

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 12, 2016, 09:19:24 AM »
I don't think they have time.  Not only that, but the Dorne stuff has jumped forward super fast already.  I think it is already past most of it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
At this point, I don't even get why George is even trying to finish Winds of Winter. It's not like he has any chance at all of ever getting the 7th book finished. He should hire somebody else to write it for him and then he can edit it so he can see his series finished before he dies.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 12, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
GRRM released a WoW excerpt in 2011. that's five years ago  :lol:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 07, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »

"I waited six rough ridin' years for A Dance With Dragons, and now you jump on the rough ridin' band wagon?"

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 07, 2016, 10:06:28 PM »

Thinking about dusting off the series for some Summer/Fall reading. How slow will I have to read for the release of Winds of Winter?

I think it will be out by around this time next year. A Dream of Spring probably won't come out until after George is already dead.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 07, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »
At this point, I don't even get why George is even trying to finish Winds of Winter. It's not like he has any chance at all of ever getting the 7th book finished. He should hire somebody else to write it for him and then he can edit it so he can see his series finished before he dies.

Hiring a second writer or group of writers is honestly a really good idea. He's too old/stupid/stubborn to make it work, but it would be very doable - people could easily mimic his style. He could oversee the plot and let people write details in his style.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 21, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
get a load of this sloth ass motherf'er

And, yes, I know you all want to know about THE WINDS OF WINTER too. I've seen some truly weird reports about WOW on the internet of late, by 'journalists' who make their stories up out of whole cloth. I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages. Both 'reports' are equally false and equally moronic. I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 21, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »
WTF is he working on Fire and Blood instead of concentrating on the story line?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 21, 2017, 03:20:22 PM »
lol grmm can get mumped

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 21, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
Why do any of you trust him to follow through, he is doing what any of us at our most lazy and self-satisfied would do if we were presented with near absolute praise for our own rough ridin' fantasy being accepted as a brilliant work of fiction.