Author Topic: Game of Thrones book discussion thread  (Read 52589 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2014, 02:09:08 PM »
Is audible able to know where you left off on the print version so it can just start there, or do you have to find your spot on the audio version?

That above link says that you buy the kindle book and the audible book and Amazon's WisperSync will sync the two so that you can switch back and forth freely. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
Has anybody read the collections that the Dunk and Egg stories are in? Are the other stories worth reading?

The Legends anthology (containing The Hedge Knight) has a Wheel of Time prequel in it called New Spring. It was pretty good. I didn't read any of the other stories.

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
  • SEC! SEC! SEC! (except Tennessee, eff them!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
The Legends anthology (containing The Hedge Knight) has a Wheel of Time prequel in it called New Spring. It was pretty good. I didn't read any of the other stories.

New Spring?  Ah, I had to look it up but we're both right.  New Spring was published in the anthology as a novella and Jordan later expanded it out into an entire novel.  Pretty cool. 

Thinking of it, that's a good fit, New Spring and the 3 Dunk & Egg books have a very similar feel in terms of how they fit in with the bigger series.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 08, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »

New Spring?  Ah, I had to look it up but we're both right.  New Spring was published in the anthology as a novella and Jordan later expanded it out into an entire novel.  Pretty cool. 

Thinking of it, that's a good fit, New Spring and the 3 Dunk & Egg books have a very similar feel in terms of how they fit in with the bigger series.

Yeah, but New Spring is a bit closer to the bigger series since it actually includes characters from the main series in an earlier (or later) time.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 08, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
Bloodraven and Maester Aemon (Egg's brother) are the only two characters to play important roles in both The Tales of Dunk and Egg and ASoIaF, that I can think of.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 08, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
Bloodraven and Maester Aemon (Egg's brother) are the only two characters to play important roles in both The Tales of Dunk and Egg and ASoIaF, that I can think of.
Which book is Aemon in?  Egg's brothers Aerion and Daeron is in the first but i can't think of any other relations being in the stories.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »
Dunk and Egg visit Aemon in Oldtown between The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword. Aemon gave Egg the donkey that they named Maester. He never actually "appears" in the three that are currently published. GRRM has several more Dunk and Egg stories he plans to publish. I assume Aemon will appear in one or more of those at some point, as Aemon was the sibling Egg was closest to.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 09, 2014, 03:01:54 AM »
good news, i just discovered there is more to read. "dangerous women" is an anthology of short stories, GRRM published "the princess and the queen" in it. the story dates back further than dunk and egg's adventures and covers a targaryen civil war known as the dance of the dragons. i am pretty excited to read it.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »
good news, i just discovered there is more to read. "dangerous women" is an anthology of short stories, GRRM published "the princess and the queen" in it. the story dates back further than dunk and egg's adventures and covers a targaryen civil war known as the dance of the dragons. i am pretty excited to read it.
:thumbs:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »
Someone link the Amazon Kindle versions of these so I can do as little as possible to get these books.

See Mikey's last post as example.  I now own that empty mansions one and it looks to own my balls shortly.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 09, 2014, 08:07:15 PM »
Mrs Gooch is fantastic.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 09, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »
I'd like to thank gE for alerting me to a new GRRM novela, truly the greatest place on the interwebs.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 10, 2014, 05:42:01 AM »
finished tPatQ yesterday. it's as entertaining and as quick of a read as the dunk and egg stories. the targaryen family rough ridin' and naming practices made it difficult for me to understand who all the characters were at first, but once you get that handled it gets rolling quick. there's lots of dragons in this one, people. lots of full. rough ridin'. grown. dragons.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 30, 2014, 02:24:49 PM »
I finished the Dunk & Egg stories and now I'm reading The Princess & The Queen. I can't keep all the Targaryens straight with everyone being named after each other; so I'm not sure exactly how these people relate to the other Targaryens.

Is the Daemon(?) who is the uncle/husband of the Princess the same Daemon that is referred to in The Mystery Knight?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 30, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »
I finished the Dunk & Egg stories and now I'm reading The Princess & The Queen. I can't keep all the Targaryens straight with everyone being named after each other; so I'm not sure exactly how these people relate to the other Targaryens.

Is the Daemon(?) who is the uncle/husband of the Princess the same Daemon that is referred to in The Mystery Knight?
WTF are you even talking about?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 30, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »

You know that thing with a bunch of pages bound together that I was reading last night???

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 30, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »

No, the Daemon in tPatQ is Princess Rhaenyra's husband and uncle.

You're referring to Daemon Blackfyre, I believe. He is Aegon (the Unworthy's) IV's bastard son. Aegon IV is Princess Rhaenyra's grandson.

I sat down and drew out the whole family tree while I was at jazz level 9,000 one night.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 30, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »
Go to a wiki of fire and ice.  They have all the family trees and little bio pages for like every character ever mentioned with family trees on those pages as well.  You can spend a lot of time there.  Tons of info. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 30, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
Go to a wiki of fire and ice.  They have all the family trees and little bio pages for like every character ever mentioned with family trees on those pages as well.  You can spend a lot of time there.  Tons of info.

yes, it's great.  i know all the stories and stuff and i didn't even have to read the books :D
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 30, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »

You know that thing with a bunch of pages bound together that I was reading last night???

adorable is used too much around here, but this really is.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 31, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »

the targ family tree is very confusing on there.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 31, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »

It also hasn't been updated with information from TPATQ because a lot of the characters from that story are missing.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 31, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »

It also hasn't been updated with information from TPATQ because a lot of the characters from that story are missing.