Author Topic: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!  (Read 110410 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #801 on: January 13, 2023, 11:53:09 AM »
kenpom has us as a middle of the pack big 12 team, and also the luckiest team in the top 50. we are a bubble waiting to burst.
let’s enjoy it until it does!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 13, 2023, 11:53:57 AM »
I'm posting this, but nobody else should waste their time reading it (which is standard for anything written by Ned Seaton).

FROM THE PUBLISHER | Be careful what you wish for in basketball poll

There sure was a lot of recent froth on social media about K-State’s ranking in basketball. That spilled over into at least one sign at Bramlage Tuesday night, where somebody mugged for the camera with a sign that said “Bias Again in AP Poll.”

This after K-State showed up in the AP poll this week at #11 in the country.

But, OK, sure. Let’s assert, at least for the sake of argument, that K-State is one of the better teams in the country in men’s basketball this season. They sure look like it, winning on the road, winning at home, winning in shootouts, winning in defensive slugfests. Markquis Nowell is shooting threes from Mike Evans depth, and Keyontae Johnson catching that alley-oop and dunking it in crunchtime Tuesday night was jaw-dropping. We’re talking Mitch Richmond-type abilities.

If that’s true, then it is also true that the polls prior to this week underestimated K-State.

It’s also true that polls often do that, since K-State is in flyover country, in the shadow of the big crimson-and-blue gorilla over in Lawrence. K-State is, and always will be, the little guy – in every sport, in every way. The underdog. Always.

But here’s my point: This is good. This actually helps. The whole idea is to win the game. Right? The point, in big-time college athletics, is to win the game that you’re playing. Then, when you play again, to win that game. Then, eventually, to get into position to win a championship, or a tournament. The point is not to be ranked high in the polls, at least not halfway into the season.

The problem with being ranked high in the polls in the middle of the season is that it carries a psychological burden. Losing becomes some sort of catastrophe, and winning becomes just a relief.

When you’re the underdog, you have a psychological edge. You’re trying to prove ‘em wrong. You don’t have a burden, you have an extra fire inside. You have nothing to lose. You play to win; you don’t play not-to-lose. You’re the hunter, not the hunted. Freedom’s just another word for nothin’ left to lose.

The reality, of course, is that if you keep winning, the polls will eventually sort themselves out. If you lose, the polls will sort themselves out. By the end of the season, it’ll be pretty clear where everybody ought to be.

Is K-State the 11th-best team in college basketball? I have no idea. Nobody else does, either. It’s becoming clear that the Wildcats are capable of playing really good games. If they keep doing that, they’ll earn all the accolades that they can get.

Fans clamoring for “respect” is fine, and fans yelping about bias is also standard stuff. But just keep in mind that the getting the “respect” that you’re clamoring for will not actually help at all.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 13, 2023, 11:58:33 AM »
:lol:

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 13, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »
What an absolutely terrible article. K-State is pretty easily a top 20 all time program. Why does our fanbase always need to be some type of underdog program in football and/or basketball?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 13, 2023, 12:26:07 PM »
ned can get wrecked

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 13, 2023, 12:34:20 PM »
He's just jealous his beloved Haavard isn't ranked. Also, are they still using 1980s word processors at the Mercury?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 13, 2023, 01:25:52 PM »
Is Ned aware that we have to recruit players?

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 13, 2023, 02:45:22 PM »
He's just jealous his beloved Haavard isn't ranked. Also, are they still using 1980s word processors at the Mercury?

I always assumed that Mark Janssen was just to old to try to understand how to use a non-1983 Tandy "laptop" since he was still using that in the early 2000s, but maybe it was just because the Merc was too poor. 

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 13, 2023, 06:08:42 PM »
I think the words you're looking for is "too cheap." I knew the guy who setup the word processing system for them. He was working as their circulatin manager and noticed them just setting in boxes in the print shop area before he told him he could install the system. This was like in the early 90s. They stayed with that system well into the 20000s. I think they've changed over to used Macs they bought of EBAY for copy/design now.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: January 18, 2023, 08:24:37 AM »
still not in the kenpom top 25 (#26 overall, #36 offense, #36 defense)

holding us back: offensive TO%, defensive rebounding, defensive fouling.
we are top 75 (top 25%) in all other areas: offensive FG%, defensive FG%, defensive TO%, Oboard%, FTA/FGA

if you've noticed our tempo and thought "nice", you are correct. our tempo, for those interested, is 69.9 possessions per game, which is the #69 fastest in the country.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 18, 2023, 09:14:43 AM »
Net rankings love the crap out of the cats tho
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 18, 2023, 09:25:14 AM »
still not in the kenpom top 25 (#26 overall, #36 offense, #36 defense)

holding us back: offensive TO%, defensive rebounding, defensive fouling.
we are top 75 (top 25%) in all other areas: offensive FG%, defensive FG%, defensive TO%, Oboard%, FTA/FGA

if you've noticed our tempo and thought "nice", you are correct. our tempo, for those interested, is 69.9 possessions per game, which is the #69 fastest in the country.

Nice

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 18, 2023, 04:41:17 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-kansas-state-vaults-to-no-6-in-top-25-and-1-after-upsetting-rival-kansas/

:pbj: :fistpump: :pbj:
Gary rough ridin' loves us.

he should, he’s a writer and we’re a great story.  the media will drop us like a rock when we start to shoot at a more normal percentage.

i really wish we would grab more defensive rebounds. so frustrating to watch.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 18, 2023, 05:08:47 PM »
What FG% are you expecting us to regress to?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 18, 2023, 07:28:55 PM »
nvm, it looks like we’ve cooled off since baylor

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 19, 2023, 12:43:32 PM »
Inject (other than losing the final to KU)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 19, 2023, 01:11:51 PM »
Could you even imagine lmao
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 19, 2023, 01:20:17 PM »
eff that

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 19, 2023, 02:06:21 PM »
A 4 seed in the south? Put some rough ridin' respect on our name Joe.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #822 on: January 19, 2023, 02:37:25 PM »
I gotta admit I can’t say I necessarily disagree with a 4 seed projection but I’m not sure what exactly is holding the Cats back other than the reputation we started with at the beginning of the year. Our resume is pretty incredible at the moment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 19, 2023, 02:44:43 PM »
I gotta admit I can’t say I necessarily disagree with a 4 seed projection but I’m not sure what exactly is holding the Cats back other than the reputation we started with at the beginning of the year. Our resume is pretty incredible at the moment.

Our net ranking is 15, kenpom is 26. The pollsters like us a lot better than the computers do.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 19, 2023, 02:49:55 PM »
yeah being 4-0 in OT games means a lot more to people than it does to computers