Author Topic: How do the KSU cats beat Florida?  (Read 4075 times)

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
How do the KSU cats beat Florida?
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
Opportunities for resume building wins are few and far between. 

i love k-state, i love basketball, and i want to win.  how do we win with what we have?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
Re: How do the KSU cats beat Florida?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »
 :lol:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »

this makes me feel bad for our players

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 06:49:32 PM »

terrible cat fan imo.

rod and angel both get 20+.  Sprads with 6.  (2 threes) 

Cats win.    :cool:

Offline chemhawk

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
1).  Shoot many 3's.
2).  Make many of them.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
If _fan still posted about ball he would probably have a solid gameplan outline. my lbbiq says ugly the game up as much as possible.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
I say we don't try getting into offensive sets and try to keep it within 20. That seemed to be the gameplan vs other good teams.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
1).  Shoot many 3's.
2).  Make many of them.

THIS.

And REBOUND!  Go Cats, FTB.

Limestone and I will be there screaming our heads off for the ksu cats.  Also, drinking.  Both screaming and drinking.  Maybe mostly drinking.  Perhaps almost exclusively drinking, now that I think about it.  Ya, no screaming.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »
1).  Shoot many 3's.
2).  Make many of them.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »
1).  Shoot many 3's.
2).  Make many of them.

THIS.

And REBOUND!  Go Cats, FTB.

Limestone and I will be there screaming our heads off for the ksu cats.  Also, drinking.  Both screaming and drinking.  Maybe mostly drinking.  Perhaps almost exclusively drinking, now that I think about it.  Ya, no screaming.

i will also be smoking cigarettes outside when i get super paked.   otherwise, exactly this

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:47:55 PM »
If _fan still posted about ball he would probably have a solid gameplan outline. my lbbiq says ugly the game up as much as possible.

This isn't football, there isn't a solid gameplan that will carry you to victory.  You run your stuff and hope you make enough shots to win.  You can try to do some things defensively but thats mainly looking at tendencies and trying to make reads that will try to make the offense make less shots.

Florida runs pick & roll.  I don't love the guard matchup so I'm going to guess we are going to mainly go under screens.  Boynton and Rosario can be streaky chuckers at times but are really good players.  Wilkbein can shoot the crap out of the ball.  Patric Young is a good player but I think Gip can play with him.  Gonzaga and Michigan have better bigs, Florida's guards are significantly better than Gonzagas possibly as good as Michigan's but not better.  We have to out score them at the forward positions by quite a bit and hope that they aren't shooting well.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
This isn't football, there isn't a solid gameplan that will carry you to victory.  You run your stuff and hope you make enough shots to win.  You can try to do some things defensively but thats mainly looking at tendencies and trying to make reads that will try to make the offense make less shots.

Florida runs pick & roll.  I don't love the guard matchup so I'm going to guess we are going to mainly go under screens.  Boynton and Rosario can be streaky chuckers at times but are really good players.  Wilkbein can shoot the crap out of the ball.  Patric Young is a good player but I think Gip can play with him.  Gonzaga and Michigan have better bigs, Florida's guards are significantly better than Gonzagas possibly as good as Michigan's but not better.  We have to out score them at the forward positions by quite a bit and hope that they aren't shooting well.

So you really think there's a chance? I'm just not feeling it. But still  :ksu:
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »
I wasn't trying to give that impression.  Basically I said they have to miss a crap load of shots and we have to make a lot, I just don't think it can be the guards as a unit that carries the load.  Also if we win, we will need to be in the 60's or low 70's.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »
Basically I said they have to miss a crap load of shots and we have to make a lot.

their guards can do that.  haven't seen them play (this year).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »

I kind of wonder if TSU was an audition for some sort of aggressive hard hedge trap that oscar wants to run.  After that terrible debut, I kind of think even if that was a thought he has to scrap it.  But I'm in a way kind of hoping we get Shane at the four and hard hedges for the opening 10 minutes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
Basically I said they have to miss a crap load of shots and we have to make a lot.

their guards can do that.  haven't seen them play (this year).

Did you read like three posts before this one?  Rosario and Boynton are just as streaky as ever, they played well against Arizona though.They were horrendous against Marquette but they beat the hell out of MU, the bench was amazing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »

I kind of wonder if TSU was an audition for some sort of aggressive hard hedge trap that oscar wants to run.  After that terrible debut, I kind of think even if that was a thought he has to scrap it.  But I'm in a way kind of hoping we get Shane at the four and hard hedges for the opening 10 minutes.

Their bigs are really good on the pick and roll, you know like JO was when we used like that last year.  I would rather let them shoot and hope for the best.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 10:19:40 PM »
The thing about our losses is it wasn't just that this team can't shoot (or find shots against good defense), its that we also slipped on things that have made K-State basketball its most successful over the last 6 seasons.

Against both Gonzaga and Michigan our defense slipped badly and in 3 of 4 halves we gave up nearly 1.2 points per possession which is terrible defense. 3 of 4 halves the opponents shot 50% or better. And in both games K-State got beat in OR%; 35.7 to 27.3 against Michigan and 38.5 to 30.3 against Gonzaga.

Point is, oscar has been able to maintain some semblance of JYC basketball against most of the pud teams, but when we play legit opponents and we can't shoot AND fail to play any sort of JYC ball we have no chance. Really, its been pretty astounding that we've kept each game competitive in the 1st half, but we can't sustain success the way we played in those games so its no surprise we've been beat soundly in each 2nd half.

So its not just hitting a bunch of 3s (which we probably have to do given our poor inside scoring ability so far). Florida isn't quite as good at shooting as Michigan and about the same as Gonzaga, but more importantly they are better at oboarding AND 2PT defense than either. They are top 4 kenpom in both offensive AND defensive efficiency and #1 kenpom in the nation.

So yeah, beating Florida will be really tough. I'd say 52-65 (loss) or something in some low 60 possession game (Florida doesn't like to play real fast).

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
How do the KSU cats beat Florida?
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
Will needs to drive to the basket 100 times and take advantage of that FT percentage.

Lol that would be lol.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »
Against both Gonzaga and Michigan our defense slipped badly and in 3 of 4 halves we gave up nearly 1.2 points per possession which is terrible defense.

i haven't seen much this year, but every time i have seen kstate play, their defense has been crap.  complete crap.  i don't know if they've defended better when i haven't watched or if the season long stats are some bizarre mirage, but i'm much more concerned about kstate's defense than their offense.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
Did you read like three posts before this one?

if i limit myself to only posting stuff you haven't already posted, i might as well follow uw out the door.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 10:43:35 PM »
I don't have a clue what the kenpom numbers say but my eyes tell me that Florida is much better than Gonzaga.  Olynyk and Harris are both very good players that would start for the Gators but literally every other player Florida is better, much better.  And I suppose the kenpom numbers bear this out like _FAN said but they are really good defensively, they are crazy aggressive and physical just like last time we played them.

I do disagree with the assessment that we have to hit a bunch of 3s to win, as I said, I think the bigs need to find a way to dominate this game.  We need three of them in double figures.  Or one with a huge game and another with a solid game.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »
I'll also add that while we need a huge game from the bigs, it likely won't ever happen with this group.  As I've said before I don't think this staff puts the bigs in the position to be successful.  Gip and DJamer have been the best bigs in that order because they, in that order are the most comfortable with their backs to the basket.  The bigs are also frequently in poor o board position either flat footed under the rim or parked at the 3 point line.  We're allergic to the high post.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »
I think our only chance is if we fire Weber.

:dunno:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »
Their streaky shooters have to be cold and our cold shooters have to be hot.  Rod will have to score a lot.  JO has to show up.