Author Topic: Master Dudes Thread  (Read 207826 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Master Dudes Thread
« Reply #400 on: April 24, 2020, 01:00:02 AM »
Amazing how easy it is to move goalposts when the man has won two big 12 titles for the first time since ‘77, ended “the streak”, and just brought in the GRCOAT.

You definitely aren't using the term moving the goalposts correctly. When assessing the current state of the program that 2019 conference championship doesn't mean anything, not when it is followed up by a last place finish, that championship is history, not the present.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 24, 2020, 01:13:23 AM »
I don’t agree with the premise of signing a top 15 class translating into instant wins, there are several examples every year of that not panning our. I think he should and would have been fired at the end of this year had the pandemic not happened because I see another 4-14 type conference season again.  His 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes were inexcusable and put the program in the position we are now.

What does instant wins mean? I think, at the very least, the expectation should be that this is a bubble team.

Here's the top 15 classes
Kentucky
Duke
North Carolina
Oklahoma State
Tennessee
LSU
NCSU
Gonzaga
Arkansas
Auburn
Texas Tech
Kansas
Michigan
Kansas State
Stanford

I know that not every top 15 recruiting class makes the tournament, usually 12 or 13 make it a year, but how many of those other schools do you think have a fan base setting as low of a bar as we are? oscar has been here longer than almost all of those coaches, certainly all of them who aren't blue bloods or consistent contenders. Are we saying that he's the 15th best coach on that list of 15 programs? Our fans love to crap on Boynton, but I'll be damned if his program has seemingly passed oscar's, 13 months after oscar won a conference championship.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 24, 2020, 06:36:32 AM »
Yea I think the expectation should be a bubble team when you are going to have six top 150 guys on your roster.  2019 Georgia is a pretty good example of a group of really talented young players not translating into a winning season.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 24, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »
I think if you’re going to have a really bad season, having a really good recruiting class is definitely the way to recover. Thank you coach weber!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 24, 2020, 09:54:09 AM »
Thanks for the last place finish and giving me more free time this winter coach weber!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:16 AM »
Thanks for the last place finish and giving me more free time this winter coach weber!
After winning your 2nd big 12 title and ending the streak! :love:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 24, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
These guys will be two years older by the time basketball resumes.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 24, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »
current team failed cause there's 2 years hole in recruiting where our best recruit was mcguirl. the current class and last years class more resembles the brown/wade/stokes class than the 2 years of fails.

i think a.gordon and murphy will turn up being jamar samuels type of players. d.gordon will be dom sutton or xavier sneed. pack will be like Deathbite. not a bad start. just need someone to be a star.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2020, 02:15:12 PM »
Because boredom...

Below are oscar's first seven recruiting classes (jury is still TBD on the last two). You can haggle/debate the rating of good, very good, average, etc. But, it's pretty hard to label the failures below as anything other than that (failure being defined as a player that contributed little - if anything - to the program).

Under that premise, there are 23 players in these seven classes and 11 were failures. There can't be many b-ball programs that sustain success with a recruiting failure rate right at 50 percent.

For the oscar fans, perhaps that's a testament to his coaching ability. For the oscar haters, this horrific recruiting speaks for itself.

Austin Trice - Fail
Shaun Williams – Fail

Mike McGuirl - Average
Nigel Shadd – Fail
Levi Stockard – Below Average

Cartier Diarra - Good
James Love – Fail
Brian Patrick – Fail
Xavier Sneed – Good

The Flush – Very Good
Bullnuts – Fail
Deathbite - Good
Claws – Very Good
xWhomper – Fail

Malek Harris – Fail
Tre Harris – Fail
Big Meat – Average

Marcus Foster – Good
Westicles – Very Good
Nigel Johnson – Average
Jevon Thomas – Fail

DJamer – Above Average
Michael Orris – Fail

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »
Lots of those guys were hopeless to begin with. This class has more in common with the good classes than the bad.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2020, 08:26:39 PM »
Because boredom...

Below are oscar's first seven recruiting classes (jury is still TBD on the last two). You can haggle/debate the rating of good, very good, average, etc. But, it's pretty hard to label the failures below as anything other than that (failure being defined as a player that contributed little - if anything - to the program).

Under that premise, there are 23 players in these seven classes and 11 were failures. There can't be many b-ball programs that sustain success with a recruiting failure rate right at 50 percent.

For the oscar fans, perhaps that's a testament to his coaching ability. For the oscar haters, this horrific recruiting speaks for itself.

Austin Trice - Fail
Shaun Williams – Fail

Mike McGuirl - Average
Nigel Shadd – Fail
Levi Stockard – Below Average

Cartier Diarra - Good
James Love – Fail
Brian Patrick – Fail
Xavier Sneed – Good

The Flush – Very Good
Bullnuts – Fail
Deathbite - Good
Claws – Very Good
xWhomper – Fail

Malek Harris – Fail
Tre Harris – Fail
Big Meat – Average

Marcus Foster – Good
Westicles – Very Good
Nigel Johnson – Average
Jevon Thomas – Fail

DJamer – Above Average
Michael Orris – Fail

12 rated higher than "fail" five of the 12 transferred

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2020, 08:55:19 PM »
MIR, we’re getting better. I hate turnover, but oscar has done a nice job by bringing in “talent”. You’ve been a oscar supporter most of your  time here on the board, I still don’t get why all of a sudden you’re not buying into this movement. Cartier was fun but not having it, our bigs suck total ass. I think as a K-State basketball fan, this would be a time to be hopeful and excited. I know I am. This is going to be a fun 4 years moving forward. Go cats!

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2020, 09:45:03 PM »
didn't Orris actually make the D-League for a few games?

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 26, 2020, 05:19:43 AM »
last year's players in dark purple, minus returning freshmen. new guys in light purple. sorted same # offers by impact at ksu.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »
That’s great stunz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 26, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »
Why wasn't Gordon better

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 26, 2020, 10:59:31 AM »
MIR, we’re getting better. I hate turnover, but oscar has done a nice job by bringing in “talent”. You’ve been a oscar supporter most of your  time here on the board, I still don’t get why all of a sudden you’re not buying into this movement. Cartier was fun but not having it, our bigs suck total ass. I think as a K-State basketball fan, this would be a time to be hopeful and excited. I know I am. This is going to be a fun 4 years moving forward. Go cats!

I've been pretty clear about this, you just don't want to accept it. I don't like him getting a pass for the program failures. Also let's be clear, the good players in this class were the ones he signed early. The players that were run off were replaced by these April signings, in a pandemic. Most coaches only get to do this once, he's now done it twice in six seasons. Congrats to him on signing the #14 class in the country, how much should we care if that yields 8th in the conference and then has 4 more transfers next April?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 26, 2020, 11:04:56 AM »
Why wasn't Gordon better

He got injured I believe in the back half of conference play.  He was phenomenal on the glass and his defense was starting to get really good but he was a bit more limited offensively than I expected. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 26, 2020, 11:07:29 AM »
I did expect him to be better, but I did love how scrappy he was. Hoping that turns into something moving forward. Chicago player of the year is a big deal. Hoping to see what everyone else saw back in the day soon.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:10:59 AM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 26, 2020, 11:10:16 AM »
Why wasn't Gordon better

His per 100 possession stats are in line with Barry as a freshman, but Brown had a much higher usage rate. I'd presume a large part of that is Barry didn't have to play with a guard that had a usage rate anything close to what Cartier's usage rate.

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 26, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
Why wasn't Gordon better

AC or DC?  and I'm not talking about Aaron Collier and Darryl Cunningham. Obviously DaJuan, just wanted to get a 1992-1993 Kansas St highlight video reference in there, that I used to watch on repeat.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 27, 2020, 09:21:28 AM »
I though Dajuan was good on wide open 3s.  He had flashes where he seemed to take over a couple of minutes of the game, I think the WVU win had some of that.  I was hoping for a little more but mostly I just want to see flashes of the upside in freshmen and I still think he has a lot of it.  Angel had some good/bad flashes his frosh year where I think DG had less high end flashes but also fewer glaring mistakes although some of that could be that it's easier to hide mistakes when you're not the PG.

I want someone on the team to push their teammates because oscar won't do it.  I think Barry helped cover that while he was here but we'll need someone else to step up.  Carti/Sneed didn't seem to have it last year and it's probably unfair to expect a frosh to instill toughness in a team, particularly one with those two returners.  This year we'll get a better idea if anyone has that either out of these guys or the freshmen.

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 05, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
Williams to OSU :lol:

OSU with 1 year ban postseason ban.  Cunningham still going to go there? Does Williams reconsider? :pray:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 05, 2020, 11:53:10 AM »
hasn't he already signed

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile