Author Topic: Thoughts on Michigan from midcourt at MSG  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Michigan from midcourt at MSG
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:04:44 PM »
Overall I thought we played Michigan pretty even, except Hardaway looked silly good and our shots weren't falling.  ("I like big buts!")  Obviously, Hardaway was the best player on the court.  When we shut him down in the first half, we were OK.  After he got knocked silly, we were okay.  But he sunk us in the first part of the 2d half.  If McGruder was still on our team, we might've had somebody to go shot-for-shot with Hardaway, but he's clearly not.

Our motion offense got us some good shots, but we don't have good shooters.  We weren't getting bodies on bodies, and we deserved to get outrebounded.  That's 2 games in a row where we've been pushed around in the interior, and it will keep happening against teams with a pulse unless we change something.

McGruder:  Doesn't seem to care.  He seriously seems clinically depressed.  As in, that's a actual diagnosis from me.  oscar's offense has room for dribble-drives (Angel, Tay), but McG didn't even try until the last quarter of the game.  That's when he finally got on track.  Woof.

Angel:  Solid.

Will:  Solid enough.  Sorry, I didn't see anything to hate.

Omari:  I grade him on a curve, and I didn't see him do anything egregious (other than that awful attempt to dribble away after a steal).  His defense looked decent.

Southwell:  The less said the better.

Nino:  He's fine, but we're not a very good team if he's in our top 5.

Big Gip:  A good banger.  I think he had his typical game.  Love the mohawk.

Diaz:  Took a couple stupid shots.  Looked soft on defense.  He's a project, but there's hope.

Tay:  Didn't stand out to me.

JO:  Great game.

DJamer:  He's got upside is about all I can say.

Not up to KK standards, but those are my thoughts.

If McGruder gets into a therapist, perhaps we can be decent in the Big 12.

(EDIT to say this reminded me of the Duke game, where we got outclassed by Kyrie.)

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline IlliniTillIDie

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Michigan from midcourt at MSG
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
Re: Rodney

oscar Weber has that effect on people.  If you had some guy who could never play basketball telling you everything you did was wrong you'd be depressed to.

There is a reason Weber has underachieved his last five years.  Its because he sucks and blames it on his players.  oscar Weber is a huge loser nobody likes and is no fun to be around.  He will bury everyone with negativity and it will feel like heaven the day he's gone.

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
Will   :dubious:

Gip    :barf:

JO   :jerk:
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:35:05 PM »
I didn't realize Will was 1-9 while watching the game.  Apparently I grade him on a curve also.  Maybe just ignore my analysis completely...   :dunno:
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
I didn't realize Will was 1-9 while watching the game.  Apparently I grade him on a curve also.  Maybe just ignore my analysis completely...   :dunno:

Will is a good shooter

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:39:37 PM »

Will is a good shooter

Of course you know he's not.  If Will were a good shooter, I wouldn't subconsciously grade him on a curve (see my McGruder comments).  But Will did take mostly "good shots" in terms of them being open & in the flow of the offense.  He just can't put the ball in the basket with these good shots.  It's a shame, really.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Will is a good shooter

catzacker

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
On rodney, have you rough ridin' just started watching Rodney  play?  He has looked this way every year.  JFC.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »
it's always pretty interesting to watch the game on tv or in person and then catch the opinion from someone that watched it the opposite.

also, if nino keeps jacking up 18 foot jump shots nine seconds into possessions then i just don't even.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »
On rodney, have you rough ridin' just started watching Rodney  play?  He has looked this way every year.  JFC.

Sadly, I haven't seen him in person since his freshman year.  Thanks for rubbing it in!   :frown:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
I stopped watching about 3 min into the second half but here are my thoughts:

McGruder:  He just can't make shots anymore. His shooting is broken. Everything else is fine.  Hair looks fantastic.

Angel:  OK. Penetrates too deep sometimes. That's what she said. Can't really create his own shot. I like him a lot though.

Will:  He was awful. Can't create for himself or anyone else. Can't shoot or play defense. Can't rebound. Garbage hair.

Omari:  Don't care. Probably sucked today.

Southwell:  He's made some 3's this year which has made me happy.  Not sure if he made any today. I can't remember him doing anything today. He probably did something.

Nino:  He rebounded good today. I remember him missing a long shot which I didn't like. Why did he start?

Big Gip:  looked great on that shot from the elbow. Needs to finish better. Sometimes his post moves look super awkward and sometimes they look really smooth. I think he's way better than that Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) Jordan Henriquez.

Diaz:  Sucked. Sucks.

Tay:  I love him. Weird, right? I think because he is the only one on the team who can create his own jump shot. And I think he plays good defense but I don't know if the stats back that up. He looks like he plays good defense to me.

JO:  Thinks he's Kevin Garnett. Is actually a piece of crap. Every time he faces up and shoots at least half of the ball hits below the top of the rim. It's so funny. The ball hits the rim and then goes almost straight down. That's how bad he misses.

DJamer:  He looked OK today and he's looked OK so far but I have a feeling he will start to suck balls during conference play. He just seems like that type. I can't remember anything from today but he pissed me off so bad when he missed that wide open layup against Delaware.  Remember that? Ugh.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 07:57:17 PM »
Did Orris play?

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
Did Orris play?

He might have been on the bus shinin up the 'ol Chuck Taylor's

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
Angel can create shots off the dribble. They just aren't jump shots, which is good. The shots he creates also aren't always for him.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »

Did you see Gooch/pak head/flags?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
Am I crazy or did I hear a USA, USA, USA cheer from some Michigan fans when JO made a trip to the line, not the and1?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 10:40:01 PM »
Am I crazy or did I hear a USA, USA, USA cheer from some Michigan fans when JO made a trip to the line, not the and1?

Heard that.  Thought it was sarcastic EMAW fans

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »
When Marty graduates DJamer will be my new avi. That's how highly I think of DJamer.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »
I had to work and was unable to watch the game. I did see the final score and read about everyone's anger about the game and didn't get it. Now with 8 minutes left to go, I understand. Do I think this game means anything about how we will be in January/February? No, but we did look terrible in this game.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »

Did you see Gooch/pak head/flags?

I was looking; I did not see.  :embarrassed:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
"YOU WILL MISS" "YOU WILL MISS"

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »
"YOU WILL MISS" "YOU WILL MISS"

Yes, this is what they were saying.  Did not hear U-S-A.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
oic

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
will was the worst player on the floor.  couldn't hit open shots, can't beat anyone on the dribble, and completely worked on defense.  reminded me of his game against k. irving.  at least then he was a freshman, i've seen no progress from him.  should be at emporia st.  i had a hard time believing we couldn't replace him with something slightly better, irving or southwell or someone.  ugh.

supposedly rodney isn't "grasping" the offense.  maybe he will now after all those garbage buckets late.