Author Topic: Greenwald: U.S. kill list compels support of Israel  (Read 2775 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwald: U.S. kill list compels support of Israel
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
I think all of Israel has PTSD from the constant barrage of Hammas/Iranian missiles. I saw an episode of International House Hunters in Israel and a big selling point was the awesome bomb shelter.

I bet the insurance is outrageous.

Maybe they have medical insurance discounts for approved bomb shelters.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 07:35:32 AM »
Democratic Party benevolence

The hubris and self-regard driving this is stunning – but also quite typical of Democratic thinking generally in the Obama era. The premise here is as self-evident as it is repellent:

I'm a Good Democrat and a benevolent leader; therefore, no limits, oversight, checks and balances, legal or Constitutional constraints, transparency or due process are necessary for me to exercise even the most awesome powers, such as ordering people executed. Because of my inherent Goodness and proven progressive wisdom, I can be trusted to wield these unlimited powers unilaterally and in the dark.

Things like checks, oversight and due process are desperately needed only for Republicans, because – unlike me – those people are malevolent and therefore might abuse these powers and thus shouldn't be trusted with absolute, unchecked authority. They – but not I – urgently need restrictions on their powers.

This mentality is not only the animating belief of President Obama, but also the sizable portion of American Democrats which adores him.

There are many reasons why so many self-identified progressives in the US have so radically changed their posture on these issues when Barack Obama replaced George W. Bush. Those include (a) the subordination of all ostensible beliefs to their hunger for partisan power; (b) they never actually believed these claimed principles in the first place but only advocated them for partisan opportunism, i.e., as a way to discredit the GOP President; and (c) they are now convinced that these abuses will only be used against Muslims and, consumed by self-interest, they concluded that these abuses are not worth caring about because it only affects Others (this is the non-Muslim privilege enjoyed by most US progressives, which shields them from ever being targeted, so they simply do not care; the more honest ones of this type even admit this motivation).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/26/obama-drones-kill-list-framework

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 04:55:26 PM »
It's a slippery slope, but that's why we elect people who we can trust with those kinds of responsibilities.  If we have an international terrorist in our sights and we can take them out with a drone strike, I'm all for it.
You say that as if there was a viable candidate with any kind of foreign policy that didn't include the aggressive use of the military in the ME.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
President Obama is an expert in constitutional law.  The deliberation that takes place behind the scenes between the executive branch and the highest ranking military officials is sufficient due process in the case of international terrorists.

If you truly believe this, then you believe that a U.S. citizen deserves no due process before they are put to death.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:42 PM »
Glenn Greenwald is a national treasure.  Conor Friersdorf is pretty good most of the time too.