Author Topic: star wars  (Read 53285 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: star wars
« Reply #450 on: December 23, 2016, 11:51:19 PM »
Probably the best Darth Vader scene in any movie though.

Knowing Vader is just grown up Anakin from episodes 2 and 3 ruins the character for me.  I now have zero respect for him in any scene in any of the movies.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 23, 2016, 11:55:26 PM »
went and saw rogue one again this morning and fired up a new hope a little bit ago, pretty fun how seamlessly it ties in

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 24, 2016, 12:06:14 AM »

Knowing Vader is just grown up Anakin from episodes 2 and 3 ruins the character for me.  I now have zero respect for him in any scene in any of the movies.
Yeah but he's just great in episode 1

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 24, 2016, 12:10:22 AM »
Bros, we're only two short years away from the Han Solo movie with Donald Glover playing a young Lando. OMG, seriously. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 28, 2016, 04:35:34 AM »
RIP Carrie Fisher
"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the force. Mourn them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.  The shadow of greed, that is" - Master Yoda

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #455 on: December 28, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »

The problem with Vader is that the prequels can't be R rated, and you need that level of gore and depravity to capture his fall from grace.

It's implied and stated he killed children, but you don't see it for obvious reasons.

Anakin's fall was clumsily done, and his decent into the dark side was rushed. The reason Episode 2 is pure hot garbage is because it tried to do too much. They needed to set up the clone war, they needed to create a love story, and they foreshadowed his descent. And somewhere in there, they had to dick around with the Battle of Geonosis.

The prequels were atrocious because it was supposed to be about Anakin, but you got Gungans, Lucas rough ridin' around with digital filmmaking, and then crap like Obi Wan fighting Grevious in Episode 3 that did nothing to forward the story.

The problem is that 20 years ago, when Lucas commited to the prequels, he decided to build the universe and not stick to a core story. It wasn't until The Matrix that a franchise started building true canon in a multimedia format. Disney has mastered it with Marvel, and they're executing the same strategy with Star Wars, but you can't change that the prequels happened.

Hell, TFA was practically a reboot because you had to wash the stench off. There's a reason you're getting a post-Clone War barrage in TV, books, and the Anthology. Disney and Lucasfilm are going to do everything they can to make the prequels a footnote.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 28, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
My hope is that with enough passage of time, the prequels will be completely remade and "the Lucas prequels" are remembered more like the Star Wars Christmas Special.

But that's gonna take a lot of time. Just sweeping them away is no easy feat because of (1) their massive media exposure, and (2) their A-List talent. I mean, as shitty as the prequels were, they star Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, and Natalie Portman. Even Hayden Christensen was a pretty good choice - it's not his fault the writing was garbage.

On the other hand, Hollywood has remade plenty of other movies. We're on what - our fifth of sixth iterations of Superman, Spiderman, and Batman? That's about 4 or 5 remakes too many for Spiderman. But Star Wars just feels like it is on a different level. Tougher to undo what Lucas did.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:47:59 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 28, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
Guys, the original movies are just as bad as the prequels
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

The Big Train

« Reply #458 on: December 28, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »

i understand why you feel this way, but you're wrong.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 28, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »
Guys, all the movies are good in their own way.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 28, 2016, 12:07:38 PM »
My hope is that with enough passage of time, the prequels will be completely remade and "the Lucas prequels" are remembered more like the Star Wars Christmas Special.

But that's gonna take a lot of time. Just sweeping them away is no easy feat because of (1) their massive media exposure, and (2) their A-List talent. I mean, as shitty as the prequels were, they star Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, and Natalie Portman. Even Hayden Christensen was a pretty good choice - it's not his fault the writing was garbage.

On the other hand, Hollywood has remade plenty of other movies. We're on what - our fifth of sixth iterations of Superman, Spiderman, and Batman? That's about 4 or 5 remakes too many for Spiderman. But Star Wars just feels like it is on a different level. Tougher to undo what Lucas did.

The best way is to build around it.

For starters, all of the Old Republic stuff is bad ass.  There is a dearth of content in legends you can mine.  There's the old Sith Empire, the Great Hyperspace War, Revan, the Rakkata, the Eternal Empire, etc. To put Vader in his proper perspective, you have to see how the Sith operated. To get a true appreciation, you have to understand how his story differs from Plageus, Bane, Revan, Sideous, etc.

What people who don't dive deeply into canon miss is that his castle was on Mustafar, and it's there because the Emperor wanted to screw with his mind. The reason he was in the Bacta tank is because he's in a constant state of pain and near death. His suit was designed to be extremely uncomfortable because the physical pain and anger draw him more deeply into his dark side power, and the features of the suit were created to enhance his force abilities. However, there were limitations to his treatment and equipment so he wouldn't be able to defeat the Emperor.

And that's another thing the films don't touch. The Emperor is a complete and utter manifestation of evil. He is constantly trying to kill and replace Vader, since that is how the Rule of Two works. But Vader kept killing those who the Emperor tried to replace him with. He was always mentally torturing him about how he killed his wife, hence why his castle is on Mustafar, so every time he looks outside, he sees the place where he killed his wife, lost to Obi Wan, and descended into madness.

Vader is, by far, the most fascinating character in the Star Wars universe, but there's so much you can't do with him in PG-13 movies.  I mean, for Christ's sakes, he crash lands in a planet, a child helps him find a way off the planet, and then he kills the kid.  It's in the canon.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 28, 2016, 12:09:46 PM »

The original movies, non-special edition, are the greatest pieces of film ever made.

The Empire Strikes Back is so good, it will be looked at like we look at plays from the Elizabethan era.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 28, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »
I have never wanted to punch you in the head until now.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 28, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »

The original movies, non-special edition, are the greatest pieces of film ever made.

The Empire Strikes Back is so good, it will be looked at like we look at plays from the Elizabethan era.

Lol

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 28, 2016, 12:24:05 PM »
I'm happy you enjoy them panj, and tastes vary, but what a ridiculous statement.

Anyway, I'll stop shitting up your thread  :)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 28, 2016, 03:08:24 PM »
quick daris fast facts...

I'm pretty sure the name of the first one was start wars but then have no idea if the empire strikes back is the second or third or if return of the jedi is. also, I've seen the one with ewoks in it two or three times but don't really think I've seen more than just parts of the others.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 28, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »
one of the better qdff (quick daris fast facts) i've read

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 28, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »

Guys, all the movies are good in their own way.

these are right.  if you balance out how just as bad and equally good mean that they're all kinda stupid and fun.  except for the last one before this current one which is probably the worst movie ever made.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 30, 2016, 01:08:28 PM »

The best way is to build around it.

For starters, all of the Old Republic stuff is bad ass.  There is a dearth of content in legends you can mine.  There's the old Sith Empire, the Great Hyperspace War, Revan, the Rakkata, the Eternal Empire, etc. To put Vader in his proper perspective, you have to see how the Sith operated. To get a true appreciation, you have to understand how his story differs from Plageus, Bane, Revan, Sideous, etc.

What people who don't dive deeply into canon miss is that his castle was on Mustafar, and it's there because the Emperor wanted to screw with his mind. The reason he was in the Bacta tank is because he's in a constant state of pain and near death. His suit was designed to be extremely uncomfortable because the physical pain and anger draw him more deeply into his dark side power, and the features of the suit were created to enhance his force abilities. However, there were limitations to his treatment and equipment so he wouldn't be able to defeat the Emperor.

And that's another thing the films don't touch. The Emperor is a complete and utter manifestation of evil. He is constantly trying to kill and replace Vader, since that is how the Rule of Two works. But Vader kept killing those who the Emperor tried to replace him with. He was always mentally torturing him about how he killed his wife, hence why his castle is on Mustafar, so every time he looks outside, he sees the place where he killed his wife, lost to Obi Wan, and descended into madness.

Vader is, by far, the most fascinating character in the Star Wars universe, but there's so much you can't do with him in PG-13 movies.  I mean, for Christ's sakes, he crash lands in a planet, a child helps him find a way off the planet, and then he kills the kid.  It's in the canon.

I agree that there's plenty of fodder for spin-off movies filling in the blanks, but that doesn't fix Jar Jar, and midiclorians (I'm not even gonna bother googling to spell that right), and Anakin's horrifically implausible conversion, and Padme literally dying of a broken heart, and Jar Jar, and Gungans, and all the other crap that was so terrible in that abomination of a trilogy. I want a better origin story, not just adding pieces around the edges.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 30, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »
They should've tripled the screen time for Vader in Rogue One. Maybe Quadrupled.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 30, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
How are they going to have Spock in future Star Wars movies since Leonard Nimoy is dead?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 30, 2016, 01:39:53 PM »
How are they going to have Spock in future Star Wars movies since Leonard Nimoy is dead?

Jokes taken.

I'm interested to see if Michael Dorn will reprise his role as Worf or if they will cast someone new.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 30, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »
They should've tripled the screen time for Vader in Rogue One. Maybe Quadrupled.

Agree.  It sucks because after Rogue, I want more vader, but it locks in with the original in such a limiting way.  I wish Disney got ahold of the rights before the prequels were made.  They could have made some bad ass vader flicks.

My god, when he stabbed the last guy through the door.... :love:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 30, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »

Jokes taken.

I'm interested to see if Michael Dorn will reprise his role as Worf or if they will cast someone new.
Wait, Michael Dorn is dead?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 31, 2016, 11:45:20 AM »
hmmmm, I never knew DV got his arms and legs cut off and also fell into a volcano.  I thought the suit was just for intimidation, kind of like Shredder.  I mean I know his skin is all messed up in that last SW movie where he takes his helmet off but I thought being on the dark side just turned you really gross and ugly, like what happened to the Emperor.  Thanks for those informative posts Panjandrum.