Author Topic: star wars  (Read 53564 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: star wars
« Reply #325 on: December 22, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
Got our tickets for tomorrow.  :excited:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 29, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »
What's with these Star Wars spin-off films that are supposed to be happening? I read that they are supposed to come out in years that don't have a main Episode movie - so that means the first should be in 2016....Shouldn't they be filming it by now?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #327 on: December 29, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
What's with these Star Wars spin-off films that are supposed to be happening? I read that they are supposed to come out in years that don't have a main Episode movie - so that means the first should be in 2016....Shouldn't they be filming it by now?

Rogue One is either filming or in production right now.

There will be two types of Star Wars movies: Anthology and Saga.  The Saga will propel the main story line and set the narrative for the universe (as it always has) and it's been stated that it will center around the Skywalker family, at least for the forseeable future.

Anthology will be stories in the universe, but not necessarily connected to the Saga.  Rogue One will be the story of the team that stole the plans for the Death Star that was referenced in Episode IV.  There is a standalone Han Solo movie that Lawrence Kasdan will help write that will end his tenure in the Star Wars universe.  There are also discussions about standalone Bobba Fett and Obi Wan Kenobi movies, but I'm not sure either of those have been confirmed.

The Big Train

« Reply #328 on: April 04, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 07, 2016, 11:53:53 AM »

There will be two types of Star Wars movies: Anthology and Saga.  The Saga will propel the main story line and set the narrative for the universe (as it always has) and it's been stated that it will center around the Skywalker family, at least for the forseeable future.

Anthology will be stories in the universe, but not necessarily connected to the Saga.  Rogue One will be the story of the team that stole the plans for the Death Star that was referenced in Episode IV.  There is a standalone Han Solo movie that Lawrence Kasdan will help write that will end his tenure in the Star Wars universe.  There are also discussions about standalone Bobba Fett and Obi Wan Kenobi movies, but I'm not sure either of those have been confirmed.

The trailer for Rogue One looks amazing.  Just amazing.

The AT-AT scene just gave me goosebumps.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
yeah whoa

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 07, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
6 to noon!   :love:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 07, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »
Thinking of redbox'ing The Force Awakens this weekend.  I will post my review when finished.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 07, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »

The trailer for Rogue One looks amazing.  Just amazing.

The AT-AT scene just gave me goosebumps.

eff YES!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »
I think I have posted this before on this blog, but you want to hear something kinda mumped up?  When I was a kid, I was raised in a pretty darn religious household, very Lutheran.  Church constantly.  In Lent, we basically lived there, etc.  My folks were/are great people, I had awesome grand parents and aunts and uncles and all that.  Family friends an neighbors were all great people.  All these wonderful influences...

...You want to know what my moral compass really was? 

The rough ridin' Force and Luke Skywalker and Han Solo.  I saw the first movie in the theater when I was 3, and from that time until I was about 10 or so, what was "real" to me in terms of "right and wrong" and "good and evil" was basically my little notion of "What would Luke Skywalker and Han Solo do?"  I always felt like I was more like Han in my true nature, but I also wanted to be trained by master Yoda like Luke.  That crap was real to me, man.  And to be like Han and have a buddy like Chewbacca and be best buddies for life and be willing to die for each other and shoot lasers and yell at each other as we fix up the Falcon and fly space ships and save people and say eff you to the Empire.  Holy crap, it was like the greatest thing ever to be imagined.

So, when I had kids, I didn't push star wars on them, but my son really dug it, and that was super cool to me.  But, when I took him to The Force Awakens, and Han dies, and I can see my 8 year old son sitting there with tears rolling down his face and he's trying not to show that he's really hurt...and he turns to me after the movie and says "I can't believe Han is dead" and he has this look of total loss on his face, man I rough ridin' lost it too.  Even now typing this, I kinda want to yell "[redacted]" at the idea of Han being dead.  It's really mumped up that a fictional story can have this much of an impact on me, but there is something about Star Wars that has always had me by the balls, man.  I know it's campy at times, and isn't as gritty as other series, and all that.  But, Stars Wars, man.  rough ridin' Star Wars.   smh. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 07, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
Great story, Pete.

I think the thing about Star Wars is that it was, by far, the most resonant story of an entire generation.  For the better part of a decade, it dominated science fiction and pop culture.  There was a heavy overlap between those born in the 60's (teens when Star Wars came out) to those born in the 80's (who grew up watching it over and over on VHS and with action figures).  That entire generation is at least familiar with this story, and a lot of folks are heavily invested.

A lot of those folks are now in the 30-50 range, and they are the ones writing books, making movies, etc.  A huge portion of the most talented writers, directors, and entertainers grew up loving Star Wars.  J.J. Abrams had rebuilt Star Trek and dropped it like a hot potato the second Kathleen Kennedy asked him to take over Episode 7 and become an Executive Producer for the reboot.  Rian Johnson wrote and directed some of the best stuff in Breaking Bad, and he's a huge part of Episodes 8/9.  Some of the most talented and creative folks in the industry, right now, want to be a part of this universe because it's in their DNA like it's in mine, or Pete's, or whoever else ran around their backyard with a stick thinking they were a Jedi in the 1970's and 1980's.

Everything about Star Wars is built on the foundation of Joseph Campbell's study of mythology, and that's what makes it so relatable.  The central themes of good and evil, what makes a hero, anti-hero, villain, etc. are all universally applicable across cultures because it's a story you find in nearly any culture.  It just happens to have lightsabers, droids, and a big, hairy Wookie.

You have this amazing story, in a universe of nearly infinite possibility, that has central themes that connect with people all over the world.  And some of the best artists of our generation grew up on it and want to be a part of it.

It is an amazing time to be a Star Wars fan.  Disney is sparing no expense because they want to do it justice.

I'm just...this makes me so happy.  Episode 7 made me happy, Rogue One looks like it will make me happy, Rebels makes me happy.  It's all just so good. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 07, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »
how many 50+ year old star wars fans have watched Brick in the time since Rian Johnson was announced to direct VIII? like a billion?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 07, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »
I generally really enjoy Rian Johnson, but I turned brick off halfway through. Ugh
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 07, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »
I know a lot of people are pissed about the lack of creativity in current movies, but as long as they keep making Marvel and Star Wars movies, I'll probably keep watching them.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 07, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »
I generally really enjoy Rian Johnson, but I turned brick off halfway through. Ugh

interesting

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 07, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
maybe han solo died to remind you of the moral imperatives expressed in the truth of the risen god's presence on earth. 
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 07, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
SPOILER ALERT GUYS JEEEZ!!

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 08, 2016, 11:38:22 PM »
Very good movie.  I kind of thought it was going to be a movie that only appealed to die hard star wars fans and that it would be full of references that didn't make sense to me but it wasn't.  It didn't just depend on nostalgia, it was a really good movie in its own right.  I give it:  2 little ball robot guy thumbs up!

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 09, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
My only question is why are these Death Stars so easy to blow up?  Aren't they planet sized?  Chewy set like 8 charges and a handful of planes shot it a few times. Of course we don't know much about the charges chewy set, they could have been laser h-bombs or something for all we know.

Also Luke is kind of a dick, right?  He basically sets the galaxy on fire by accidentally creating Vader Vol. 2 and then just takes off. Why?  Because he's embarrassed?  Not cool.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 09, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
That planet they blew up was harnessing the energy of an entire sun

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2016, 08:46:46 AM »
Luke is a dick, yes. I think the entire series is actually about obi wan

The Big Train

« Reply #346 on: April 09, 2016, 09:10:48 AM »
It's a little known fact that planet sized objects are destroyed easily

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 09, 2016, 09:31:46 AM »
Luke is a dick, yes. I think the entire series is actually about obi wan

No way, Jose! The Saga is about the Skywalker family. Don't make me get rough with you.

The Big Train

« Reply #348 on: April 09, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
How could you think this is about obi wan?  He isn't the most powerful Jedi, or most powerful sith in the universe.  Anakin is both

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 09, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »
Anakin and luke are clearly failures