Author Topic: Signs that goEMAW is affecting your daily life  (Read 104736 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Signs that goEMAW is affecting your daily life
« Reply #675 on: June 25, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
I have some similar symptoms to SD. It seems like people mumble a lot and I do have trouble hearing in noisy areas....sometimes I think I hear too good because I can hear the other noises instead of people's voices...Is that weird?

Also, Gooch is always complaining that I say, "What?" too much. Also, I have this thing where sometimes I figure out what they said right after I said "What?"

RD can you give me diagnosis?

there is no such thing as hearing so good that it makes it difficult to understand speech. it doesn't work like that. have you always had difficulty in noise or is this new/recent? how long? sudden or gradual?

You know when Professor X first used Cerebro and he had trouble distinguishing all the voices? It's like that.

I don't know if it has been my whole life but it has been this way for a long time. I don't think it was caused by The Carney Encore even though they gave me tinnitus 2 years in a row.  :shakesfist:

i mean it's possible you have hearing loss as well. you could also have a processing disorder. the tinnitus came from pressure (loud noise) blowing up tiny hair cells in your inner ear. if you're lucky the damage is non permanent and only caused temporary ringing and a temporary shift in hearing. if unlucky the damage could be permanent. permanent tinnitus, permanent shift in hearing. i doubt they were loud enough and you were around it long enough for it to be permanent, but i also didn't happen to have a dosimeter on me so i'm just guessing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:29:23 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 25, 2015, 01:30:28 PM »
also, you guys wow! how much excitement and entertainment has the last two pages of this thread been? education? check. getting to know your fellow posters? check. hilarious comedy with the animals and color noises? double check. just amazing!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 25, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »
I have some similar symptoms to SD. It seems like people mumble a lot and I do have trouble hearing in noisy areas....sometimes I think I hear too good because I can hear the other noises instead of people's voices...Is that weird?

Also, Gooch is always complaining that I say, "What?" too much. Also, I have this thing where sometimes I figure out what they said right after I said "What?"

there is no such thing as hearing so good that it makes it difficult to understand speech. it doesn't work like that. have you always had difficulty in noise or is this new/recent? how long? sudden or gradual?

You know when Professor X first used Cerebro and he had trouble distinguishing all the voices? It's like that.

I don't know if it has been my whole life but it has been this way for a long time. I don't think it was caused by The Carney Encore even though they gave me tinnitus 2 years in a row.  :shakesfist:

i mean it's possible you have hearing loss as well. you could also have a processing disorder. the tinnitus came from pressure (loud noise) blowing up tiny hair cells in your inner ear. if you're lucky the damage is non permanent and only caused temporary ringing and a temporary shift in hearing. if unlucky the damage could be permanent. permanent tinnitus, permanent shift in hearing. i doubt they were loud enough and you were around it long enough for it to be permanent, but i also didn't happen to have a dosimeter on me so i'm just guessing.

The tinnitus is not permanent, it went away a couple days later. Maybe ADP (auditory processing disorder) is why I can't understand what people are saying with an accent.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 25, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »

The tinnitus is not permanent, it went away a couple days later. Maybe ADP (auditory processing disorder) is why I can't understand what people are saying with an accent.

i mean it's possible. a lot of people with APD also have difficulty follwing multiple step spoken directions and have some sensitivity (hyperacusis) to sound in general. if it's just in noise, you simply might just not be good at separating the signal (what you want to hear) from noise (what you don't care about). everybody is different with this just like everybody is different in regards to how fast they can run and how good they are at recognizing faces, etc.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 25, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
so maybe a fattyfest auction item next year should apparently be a pair of hearing aids?  :dunno:

Hearing aids can work wonders for tinnitus.  As it amplifies your surrounding sounds, that helps to mask the tinnitus.  White noise doen'st work for me because my tinnitus isn't a ringing in one or both ears, it's more like a buzzing sound I hear in my head when it's completely quiet.  Sound machines that produce a pulse noise masks my tinnitus to where I don't notice it while I sleep.  I can't hear it at all now, but if I went into a quiet room it would be there. 

A lot of how loud it is does have to do with outside factors as Daris said, (sodium, caffeine, weed) all shown to increase tinnitus sounds. 
@lopakman

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 25, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »

The more often you get temporary tinnitus as you had, the more likely that one of these times it won't go away.  when you damage the hair cells they don't grow back (although there is current research being done with promising results regenerating hair cells in the ears of rodents. 

Also it can worse as you continue to damage the cells.  If I go to a sporting event or a concert I bring ear plugs otherwise I get a spike in my tinnitus that can last for a few days.
@lopakman

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 25, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »
I seem to have an SD/Mrs.Gooch mashup.  Same symptoms as SD, but it only happens in areas with a lot of background noise and not in areas where there isnt.  I have super hearing at home,  but can't hear convo at bars.  I yell "what" a lot at bars.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 25, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »

The more often you get temporary tinnitus as you had, the more likely that one of these times it won't go away.  when you damage the hair cells they don't grow back (although there is current research being done with promising results regenerating hair cells in the ears of rodents. 

Also it can worse as you continue to damage the cells.  If I go to a sporting event or a concert I bring ear plugs otherwise I get a spike in my tinnitus that can last for a few days.

yes/no to all this. also, do you know what type of rodent is most commonly used? if you said the chincilla then you are correct. now we are having trivia facts show up in this convo! wow!

more trivia-there is a horrible person at ku that destroys the inner ears of baby chickens on purpose and then autopsies them all in the name of research.  i mean we're talking baby chicks here, guys. :frown:

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 25, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »

yes/no to all this. also, do you know what type of rodent is most commonly used? if you said the chincilla then you are correct. now we are having trivia facts show up in this convo! wow!

more trivia-there is a horrible person at ku that destroys the inner ears of baby chickens on purpose and then autopsies them all in the name of research.  i mean we're talking baby chicks here, guys. :frown:

the chinchilla is not most commonly used, however has been used. 

Since were doing trivia did you know KU med has one of leading tinnitus experts in the world!  How lucky are we  :Wha:  Who you may ask?  Dr. Heinrich Staecker of course. 

Really nice guy, who treated me.  His audiologist was pretty hot too, so you know double bonus.  He also previously served as an advisor to the American Tinnitus Association which has more reliable information then what you are finding on wikipedia and google.

@lopakman

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 25, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
Lopak thinks rowdy boyy is actually a cop :Wha:
:adios:

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 25, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »
Lopak thinks rowdy boyy is actually a cop :Wha:

See if you can guess what I'm thinking now
@lopakman

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 25, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »
more like poserpakman

I have tinnitus. My ears ring like a mofo all of the time. It's a high pitch, which amplifies my hearing loss when I talk to people with higher pitched voices.

I cheated on my hearing test in 4th grade. I looked through the window and watched the 3 people in front of me raise their hands in the same pattern, so I just raised my hand in that pattern. I heard one of the tones, but just raised my hands in the same pattern that the others had.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 25, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »
some guy at ku med named heinrich staecker, huh? sounds made up. not buying it.  :nono:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 25, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »
so i have just diagnosed SD with noise induced bilateral high frequency sensorineural hearing loss. no surgical interventions are possible with this, but you could probably benefit from amplification if you deemed your situation bad enough to warrant it. the reason you are struggling, is that human speech is complex and primarily made up with sounds between 500-5000Hz. with your high frequency loss, you are missing out on information that allows you to hear and tell the difference between soft high frequency parts of speech like t, k, f, s, sh and ch thus making it sound like people are mumbling when in fact they are not. NEXT!

i knew i was talking at the correct volume.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 30, 2015, 02:31:14 PM »
hey rick whats up with dBA and dBC? why are they different and whats their deals?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: July 01, 2015, 07:34:07 AM »
People who can't sleep in hotel rooms obviously don't binge hard enough.
@mikec2w

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 01, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
hey rick whats up with dBA and dBC? why are they different and whats their deals?

well dba stands for deformed bar anchor, i dunno what a dbc is tho
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »
Rick- about 1-2 times a year my ears get blocked with wax build up.  Every 3-5 years I will get a particularly bad blockage that results in almost complete hearing loss in that ear and a lot of pain until the blockage is removed.  When this happens I go in to my primary care physician and hey blast it out with a water pik.  What is the safest way to clear the blockage?  Could I safely prevent this from occurring with some sort of personal grooming?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 01, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »
you know those bic pens? take the cap off and shove the long clip part in your ear and scoop out all the wax
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 01, 2015, 08:12:30 AM »

well dba stands for deformed bar anchor, i dunno what a dbc is tho

it's "doing business as", but yea, i've got nothing for dbc.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:16 AM »
you know those bic pens? take the cap off and shove the long clip part in your ear and scoop out all the wax
You can buy tiny soft plastic earhole wax spoons

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »

what, no love for dBB? the bottom of this link explains it probably better than i could. they all measuring sound and coming up with an average intensity but they are deeming some frequencies more and less important.

http://www.hearforever.org/tools-to-learn/sound-source-a-and-c-weighted-noise-measurements

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 01, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »
Rick- about 1-2 times a year my ears get blocked with wax build up.  Every 3-5 years I will get a particularly bad blockage that results in almost complete hearing loss in that ear and a lot of pain until the blockage is removed.  When this happens I go in to my primary care physician and hey blast it out with a water pik.  What is the safest way to clear the blockage?  Could I safely prevent this from occurring with some sort of personal grooming?

i would go to purdom in mhk way before i would have some rando pcp irrigate. water/irrigation is usually pretty ineffective. as far as home remedies, you could try 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide or go to walmart and get debrox.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 01, 2015, 08:34:28 AM »
These last few pages.

Woof.

Oh excuse me.

WOOF
:dance:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 01, 2015, 08:38:39 AM »
These last few pages.

Woof.

Oh excuse me.

WOOF

are you kidding me? these last few pages have been some of the best that this blog has ever produced. excitement! drama! education!