Author Topic: iPAD  (Read 14902 times)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: iPAD
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 11:49:38 AM »
What makes this way more amazing than just getting a netbook for way way less money? honest question.

Made by apple, but mostly it is a small, thin, giant touchscreen with ridiculous battery life.

battery life and touchscreen has been around for a while now. Would you seriously sacrifice so much functionality for a sleek design that is still flawed and will be just run of the mill in months?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »
If Pete owned one of these michigancat would take it to the can to cruise the online cyberspace world. 

:cheers:

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »
I'm not understanding this "couch surfing" appeal.

Don't any of you people have a coffee table or an ottoman? They make for a pretty handy place to put a lap top.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 12:04:57 PM »
What makes this way more amazing than just getting a netbook for way way less money? honest question.

Made by apple, but mostly it is a small, thin, giant touchscreen with ridiculous battery life.

battery life and touchscreen has been around for a while now. Would you seriously sacrifice so much functionality for a sleek design that is still flawed and will be just run of the mill in months?

I'm not saying I'm in love with it, just why people are.  I was way more excited when I first heard about then when I went to the website and saw it was mostly a giant iphone/ipod touch.  Like others said, if I traveled a lot I would use it to watch movies and surf the web in airports/planes.  Other than that, its a product that would be kinda cool to have but certainly not essential

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 12:06:32 PM »
If Pete owned one of these michigancat would take it to the can to cruise the online cyberspace world. 

:cheers:

but really, sorry, pete.  weak moment.  I hope we're still friends.   :embarrassed:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 12:49:12 PM »
Not nearly as cool as the Skiff Reader.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:03 AM »
This is going to save the publishing industry.  We're going to make them buy a $600 piece of hardware and then pay a subscription fee so they can read something they could have read for free on their laptops.  Pure genius. 

I don't expect this multitasking limitation to go on for very long.  They need a new iPhone OS and I'm guessing (hoping) they will allow all of these devices to multitask. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 08:52:46 AM »
This is going to save the publishing industry.  We're going to make them buy a $600 piece of hardware and then pay a subscription fee so they can read something they could have read for free on their laptops.  Pure genius. 

I don't expect this multitasking limitation to go on for very long.  They need a new iPhone OS and I'm guessing (hoping) they will allow all of these devices to multitask. 
i think you're missing something

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2010, 01:16:56 PM »
See what happens when Pee Wee gets an iPad. (hint: AWESOMENESS)

Offline Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 01:02:13 AM »
Also, the obligatory, "Still no Flash!"

there are some decent reasons for this, but i don't think it amounts to much when you consider the benefit of having the capabilities.

apple is trying to force the web to become more secure. the technology exists, but still hasn't "caught up" so to speak.

also flash on mac is crap.  utter crap.  no where near the code it is on windows.

Offline Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 01:11:25 AM »
Also, the obligatory, "Still no Flash!"

there are some decent reasons for this, but i don't think it amounts to much when you consider the benefit of having the capabilities.

apple is trying to force the web to become more secure. the technology exists, but still hasn't "caught up" so to speak.

I don't buy that this is for security.  They just don't want to use somebody else's proprietary code in their OS.  Which is a little ironic, but what the hell.

Bottom line though, from a user point of view, no Flash means, no to a bunch of Facebook games, no Hulu, no statsheet.com charts. 

html 5.

h.264 is no more open than flash, and won't be implemented everywhere.

The problem is that HTML5 hasn't decided on a video format to be used with the tag.  h.264 and Ogg Theora are the two leaders.  h.264 is proprietary, although currently royalty-free (the licensers have said at least til 2016, but that can change at any time).  Ogg is open source, but not really efficient as a format, takes up too much bandwidth.

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2010, 01:19:07 AM »
iPad will
mostly help me masturbate more efficiently than my iPhone... But the lack of Flash does concern me.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
Quote from: Steve Jobs
We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk; our DNA will not let us do that.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
Waiting for the courier.  :users:
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2010, 10:03:50 AM »
here's a good article on some alternatives to the iPad, if you're in the market for something like this-

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/02/ipass-the-best-present-and-future-alternatives-to-the-apple-ipa/

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
here's a good article on some alternatives to the iPad, if you're in the market for something like this-

Something like what, a chitty stripped-down-but-still-kind-of-expensive laptop? There's no such market; the iPad simply falls into the market for gizmos-with-bitten-apple-logos-as-status-symbols.

Thus, there is no alternative for the iPad if you're in that market.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »

Something like what, a chitty stripped-down-but-still-kind-of-expensive laptop? There's no such market; the iPad simply falls into the market for gizmos-with-bitten-apple-logos-as-status-symbols.

something like a netbook :dunno:
and whether or not you want to admit to it, there's most definitely a market, i'm not going to waste my time arguing semantics

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »

and whether or not you want to admit to it, there's most definitely a market, i'm not going to waste my time arguing semantics

300,000 sold on the first day obviously show that.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »

300,000 sold on the first day obviously show that.

the iPad simply falls into the market for gizmos-with-bitten-apple-logos-as-status-symbols.

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
the iPad simply falls into the market for gizmos-with-bitten-apple-logos-as-status-symbols.
I'm going to be a teacher, and there are so many uses for this thing in my mind that I will be crushed if they aren't implemented into an app.  Start with ibooks.   I'm tired of the cluster of kids I see trying to get out their textbooks and turn to the right page, can you imagine what this thing is going to do for my sanity once textbook publishers get stuff out on this thing? Next, I send them a worksheet through some app wirelessly that they have to finish, bam, they flick it back to me. I can't stand paper, paper is stupid.  I want my job to be paperless. Then hook this baby up to my smartboard so I don't have to try to write with those Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) markers. I'll stop there, I could go on and on

but, you say there's not a market for this, I say stfu and go check out the madness in a classroom.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
actually kougar 24, it falls into the market for people who want a lightweight/portable netbook-like device but not quite a laptop.    why so confuse, why so confuse?

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
I'm going to be a teacher, and there are so many uses for this thing in my mind that I will be crushed if they aren't implemented into an app.  Start with ibooks.   I'm tired of the cluster of kids I see trying to get out their textbooks and turn to the right page, can you imagine what this thing is going to do for my sanity once textbook publishers get stuff out on this thing? Next, I send them a worksheet through some app wirelessly that they have to finish, bam, they flick it back to me. I can't stand paper, paper is stupid.  I want my job to be paperless. Then hook this baby up to my smartboard so I don't have to try to write with those Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) markers. I'll stop there, I could go on and on

but, you say there's not a market for this, I say stfu and go check out the madness in a classroom.

if they start putting textbooks out on this thing, game over. or on any of these things. i was just telling a friend that if my textbooks were put out it would be a no-brainer to buy one.