Author Topic: Meltdown-o-meter.... 3/17/2010  (Read 2830 times)

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
Meltdown-o-meter.... 3/17/2010
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »
Where would the meltdown rank tomorrow in terms of all time meltdown since the modern message board era began should we be upset tomorrow? 

ALL TIME GREATEST MELTDOWN!

A loss on Saturday should we win tomorrow would be also unleash massive meltdowns IMO.

I will go home for the day and turn my phone off tomorrow if we don't win. I won't watch another game the rest of the tornament.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: Meltdown-o-meter.... 3/17/2010
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »
still doesn't compare to 98. 

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »

This. I still have nightmares about that loss. However, it makes things like Iowa St. losses, Huggins losses, and KU losses seem like nothing. Thanks Michael Bishop.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:00:20 AM »

Quite true.  No message board evidence though. Would have been epic.  I dropped to my knees and wept like a bitch and was basically in a daze for a week.  
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:51 AM »

I wouldn't even call 98 a meltdown.  98 was just soul-crushing.  At their essence, meltdowns are cathartic.  They help you deal with a loss by letting you vent on whoever the scapegoat is.

98 was just a nuclear explosion to the balls.  There was nothing left to meltdown with after that happened.

If we lose tomorrow, we'll chalk it up to being K-State, and immediately point to multiple indicators (Iowa State) or reasons (starting Luis) why we lost.  In large part, this would be due to having gone through 98.  

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:13:18 AM »
Here's what the 98 equivalent in basketball now would be:

We beat Syracuse (97!) to make the Final Four this year, then lose to Ohio State or Georgetown.  Feels pretty good!

2 of our sophomore guards emerge next year as pretty darn good players.  McGruder becomes a great scoring threat, for instance.  Asprilla comes in and he, Wally, and Curtis dominate down low.

We go through next regular season with 2, maybe 3 losses, MAYBE 1 in conference.  Beat KU twice.  Win the conference tourney, easily.

Get picked as a #1 seed.  Get to the Elite Eight, where we face the #5 seed, Mizzou.  We've destroyed them twice in the regular season.  We get up on them early, leading by 15 at half.  At 12 minutes left in the game, we're still up by 12.  In the final 8 minutes of the game, Jake turns the ball over 4 or 5 times and Mizzou closes down.  We miss a couple of easy layups, and they tie it up and send it to overtime. 

In overtime, we're up by 2 with 2 seconds left.  They inbound the ball and hit a shot from the opposite free throw line as the buzzer sounds. 

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:23:21 AM »
We'd have to have some unbelievably stupid play to be equivalent to Bishop's fumble. Like, Jake missing a lay-up that would have won it, or missing four free throws before the end of regulation.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:27:12 AM »
We'd have to have some unbelievably stupid play to be equivalent to Bishop's fumble. Like, Jake missing a lay-up that would have won it, or missing four free throws before the end of regulation.

Just missing FTs isn't "dumb" enough.  I like the lay-up analogy, though.  Jake goes in with a breakaway off an inbounds with 10 seconds left and us up by 2, thinks about dunking it but changes his mind and misses the layup, they grab it and make a basket to tie and sent it to OT.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:31:28 AM »
One of these to lose the game?

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 12:33:17 AM »
we're already jinxed.

so imo, this thread is either a dejinxer or advance preparation for the nut-busting inevitable...

:ohno:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:49 AM »
Both are positive things. Nothing to be  :ohno: about.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 12:48:22 AM »
One of these to lose the game?

Nope.  Pasco fiasco 2.0.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Censored by Laurie

• Mean Green'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 07:55:52 AM »
Hands down the best thread I've read on here.  Keep up the self-defeating attitude, fellas...it should ease the blow.

Offline badnewsjimmy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 08:27:07 AM »

Quite true.  No message board evidence though. Would have been epic.  I dropped to my knees and wept like a bitch and was basically in a daze for a week.  

Over 2 years later and I deny this game ever happened. Somewhere out there is the week after that game. The meltdown was horrific.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=K-State&as_oq=&as_epq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=rec.sport.football.college&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&as_umsgid=&lr=&num=100

I think they archived rec.sport.football.college back to '94

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »
Hands down the best thread I've read on here.  Keep up the self-defeating attitude, fellas...it should ease the blow.

If UNT won today, would it be the greatest win in the history of your program?

If so,  :lol:

Offline lmfergu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
I was an athletic trainer on the sidelines for the '98 game.  I saw grown men cry (Snyder/Kelly/Cooper/Simineau/Oaks/Bishop) in that locker room.  I had to drive Gramatica and Kelly to the airport so they could attend the Home Depot All-American show after that game (quiet car ride by the way) and then had to drive the university car the 6 hours back to Manhattan.  I wasn't able to watch any football till the next year and still can't bear to watch a replay of the game.  THIS WOULDN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE '98 MELTDOWN! :kstatriot:

• Mean Green'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 08:43:32 AM »

Nah...I'd say when we beat Oklahoma State two years ago that was the sign of us turning the corner in building a consistent winner. 

Plus, people take notice when you beat a program with actual history and a tradition of winning.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 09:00:49 AM »

Nah...I'd say when we beat Oklahoma State two years ago that was the sign of us turning the corner in building a consistent winner. 

Plus, people take notice when you beat a program with actual history and a tradition of winning.

Beating a team coached by a drug addict is your program's greatest win?

:lol:

• Mean Green'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »

He was just a drunk, wasn't he?  Maybe scripts...but he was no Texas Rangers manager.

Also, is your board name also the last line uttered threateningly in a Tempe hotel room?  "Tell anyone about this and there's gonna be Ell to pay."

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 09:13:14 AM »

He was just a drunk, wasn't he?  Maybe scripts...but he was no Texas Rangers manager.

Also, is your board name also the last line uttered threateningly in a Tempe hotel room?  "Tell anyone about this and there's gonna be Ell to pay."

Talk about LSSIQ..

Offline MEANGREENMAN!

• Mean Green'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »
I hear the UNT strategy is to say "Kansas" to the KSU bench before tip off causing a massive amount of pant wetting and thumb sucking.