Author Topic: General NFL thread: 2019 Tom Brady's Legacy  (Read 114851 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: General NFL thread: Now featuring week 1!
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-viking-ballard-nfl-no-012715233--nfl.html

After a month of silence, Christian Ballard opened up Tuesday regarding the reason he walked away from the Minnesota Vikings in training camp.
The former defensive lineman told USA Today that he wasn't enjoying life in the NFL anymore.
The revelation came less than a week after Ballard was arrested on suspicion of domestic battery following a dispute with his wife at their Lawrence, Kan., home, according to USA Today. The district attorney dropped the case without filing charges, the newspaper reported.

:eek:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
Unsportsmanlike conduct in Seattle
Was anyone else appalled by the unsportsmanlike conduct of the Seattle Seahawks and their fans, juiced on noise, which surely creates as big an advantage over an opponent as any performance enhancing drug and which, to their shame, NFL officials turn the same blind eye they have to concussions and drugs ("Seattle states case loudly, clearly in rout," Sports, Sept. 16)?

It would be simple to fix. Seahawks players and managers would ask their fans to cease and desist, and the NFL would implement a new rule: The visiting team may stop the game when fan noise is greater than a specified decibel level, and should this rule be violated in more than three games, no home games will be played at the offending field for the rest of the season, including playoff games. Things would quiet down.

At a time when the world seems sour, sports give us a place of joy, community and hope, and to have it spoiled is a bigger loss than it seems on the surface.

Judy Spelman, Rich Schiller,

Point Reyes Station
http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/letterstoeditor/article/Letters-to-the-editor-Sept-17-4819523.php
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: General NFL thread: Now featuring the tuck-iest OpEd ever from San Francisco
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
what in the literal eff

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-viking-ballard-nfl-no-012715233--nfl.html

After a month of silence, Christian Ballard opened up Tuesday regarding the reason he walked away from the Minnesota Vikings in training camp.
The former defensive lineman told USA Today that he wasn't enjoying life in the NFL anymore.
The revelation came less than a week after Ballard was arrested on suspicion of domestic battery following a dispute with his wife at their Lawrence, Kan., home, according to USA Today. The district attorney dropped the case without filing charges, the newspaper reported.

:eek:
He's from there. Went to HS at Free State.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: General NFL thread: Now featuring the tuck-iest OpEd ever from San Francisco
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »
Was anyone else appalled by the unsportsmanlike conduct of the Seattle Seahawks and their fans, juiced on noise, which surely creates as big an advantage over an opponent as any performance enhancing drug and which, to their shame, NFL officials turn the same blind eye they have to concussions and drugs ("Seattle states case loudly, clearly in rout," Sports, Sept. 16)?

It would be simple to fix. Seahawks players and managers would ask their fans to cease and desist, and the NFL would implement a new rule: The visiting team may stop the game when fan noise is greater than a specified decibel level, and should this rule be violated in more than three games, no home games will be played at the offending field for the rest of the season, including playoff games. Things would quiet down.

At a time when the world seems sour, sports give us a place of joy, community and hope, and to have it spoiled is a bigger loss than it seems on the surface.

Point Reyes Station
http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/letterstoeditor/article/Letters-to-the-editor-Sept-17-4819523.php

Well, there is a rule against excessive crowd noise in the NFL. I remember hearing about it when I was a kid and think I saw a team get penalized for it once.

Jerry, I enjoy your column. It's great to get an insider's point of view during the season. What has happened to officials penalizing the home team if the fans are making too much noise for the visiting quarterback to call signals? I used to see it once or twice a season, but I think it's been decades since I've seen it called. --Seth Greeley, Houston

There is a rules procedure set up for crowd noise when the visiting team cannot hear signals because of the noise. If, in the opinion of the referee, and after a signal from the quarterback, the noise is so loud that play cannot continue, the game is stopped and an announcement is made to the crowd in an attempt to quiet things down. After a second announcement and an appeal to the home team to assist in quieting the crowd, and if the noise does not subside, the home team is charged a timeout. The only time a 5-yard penalty would be assessed is when the home team is out of timeouts. This is a very complicated procedure, and you are correct in that it has not been used in years. The quarterbacks are experts at dealing with crowd noise and rarely, if ever, appeal to the referee. The quarterback knows that if he does not get the play off because of the disturbance, that the crowd will get louder. Consequently, quarterbacks find a way to let the game continue, regardless of the noise. I am glad that you enjoy the column. I enjoy writing it, very much.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/cs-040121jerrymarkbreitsanswers,0,5266100.story

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »

Point Reyes Station

If they ever did this at BSFS we would all get a handwritten cease and desist letter from Bill.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »

Point Reyes Station

If they ever did this at BSFS we would all get a handwritten cease and desist letter from Bill.

MIR would go nuts

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »
Real wildcat fans sit patiently for the defense to stop them on 3&15 for a 25 yard gain. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
I've seen the crowd noise rule enforced before. Its been a while (late '90s) though.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
I was at arrow head when crowd was warned.   Effing John Elway complained.   They were going to take a time out.   May have even done it.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »
Matt Cassell is going to start for the Vikings this week.

LOL

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
Matt Cassell is going to start for the Vikings this week.

LOL

Cassell on one side, Haley on the other. This final score of MIN-PIT will be 6-4 (five safeties)...  :flush:

The Big Train

« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »
Sproles is a rough ridin' stud  :ksu:

The Big Train

Calvin Johnson today 14 catches for 329 yards and a TD  :Wha:  :Wha:  :Wha:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Harper, Freeman, and Nelson!

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
I love the way Andrew Luck runs.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
I love the way Andrew Luck runs.

so smart and structured.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: General NFL thread: Steve Smith to Aqib Talib: Ice up son, ice up!
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »
that's awesome  :lol:

The Big Train

« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
RGIII sucks ass and is killing my fantasy football team :frown:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2013, 09:48:19 PM »
RGIII sucks ass and is killing my fantasy football team :frown:
I know that feel - Cam  did it to me last year