Author Topic: Media hates us, we get no respect, keep the chip on our shoulder thread  (Read 290054 times)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Media hates us, we get no respect, keep the chip on our shoulder thread
« Reply #200 on: October 22, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
Joe Schad  :curse:

Every week I want to say something about his dad but refrain.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »
Mods, please rename this to the Master Butthurt Thread. tia

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
Anyone have an Insider ESPN? http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/blog/_/name/haney_travis/id/8532879/kansas-state-place-elite-week-8-takeaways-ncf

I can read?

The fact this article hasn't been posted here is making me anxious/upset/stressed out.

really long & boring, so long I'm only pasting half of it.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- Kansas State trailed Oregon by three-thousandths of a point in the initial BCS standings, so the Wildcats will -- some wacky, rogue computer notwithstanding -- pull past the Ducks when the second installment is released Sunday evening.

That's meaningful in some capacity to every member of K-State's team after a 55-14 road whipping of 13th-ranked West Virginia moved the Wildcats to 7-0 and 4-0 in the Big 12. But it means more to senior receiver Chris Harper. He transferred from Oregon to Kansas State to be closer to his home in Wichita, Kan.

"Yeah," a smiling Harper said late Saturday night. "It means a little something extra."

Harper said he called Ducks back Kenjon Barner (more on him later) on Friday. The former teammates did some friendly chirping, and they looked forward to the possibility of their teams meeting in the BCS title game.

"You know, that just might happen," Harper said, stepping out of every player's one-game-at-a-time trance to consider it.

Oregon-Kansas State isn't the likeliest of outcomes, not with Alabama and Florida still up top and looking strong Saturday. But it isn't completely implausible, either.

Harper said he "definitely" considers Kansas State to be every bit the team as those around the Wildcats in the BCS standings.

"We just don't get the love that they get," he said. "We beat Oklahoma, and everyone's still talking them up. We're like, 'Can we get any kind of love?'

"I hope they [the national audience, media] were watching today. I think we proved something."

West Virginia was likewise destroyed last week at Texas Tech. But that was Lubbock. It couldn't happen again, right? Not at rowdy Milan Puskar.

If anything, Saturday's result was more thorough -- because K-State did it on the road, where it has won an impressive nine of its past 10 games.

Wildcats quarterback Collin Klein elevated his name to the top of the Heisman pile, scoring seven total touchdowns on seven consecutive possessions. The three passing and four rushing scores came in a span of 31 minutes, from 3:33 left in the first quarter until there was 2:25 remaining in the third.

Klein was in complete control, which coach LHC Bill Snyder said he has come to expect of his quarterback regardless of the final statistics. But those were there, too. He had been close, but Saturday was Klein's first career 300-yard passing game.

Klein had two incompletions. His counterpart, Geno Smith, had two interceptions.

"I started calling him 'John' during the game," Harper said. "He was rocking that No. 7 like Elway."

The score was 52-7 at the end of that touchdown binge. Country roads were carrying Mountaineers fans home while the K-State contingent celebrated, closing the night with chants of Snyder's name and smacking hands with the Wildcats in a processional as the team headed to the locker room.

"All three phases contributed to the momentum," said Klein, who was sheepish when facing Heisman questions and apologized that his hand was "messed up" when he shook hands with reporters.

"But I'm all right," the humble star insisted.

So is his team.

Alabama still looks like the clear-cut No. 1 in the country, but Kansas State made its case for No. 2.

Then again, so did Florida earlier in the day Saturday. And Oregon was sharp Thursday night in breezing past Arizona State.

(I can't in good faith include the living-on-a-prayer unbeatens, Notre Dame and Oregon State. But more on the Irish in a bit; it'll get its chance this week.)

So, who's No. 2?

Oregon has the benefit of starting closest to the top, while K-State and Florida have had to climb the polls. So that helps with the human voters, the coaches and the Harris participants. It's also the case for abandoning the preseason poll or delaying the first vote until October to destroy preconceived notions.

Florida likely has the best résumé, which is why the computers are in love with the Gators. Saturday's win, along with victories at Texas A&M, at Tennessee and against LSU, are as good as it gets at this point.

But K-State's road wins in Norman and Morgantown are strong, too. Really strong. A team that skated by in close games, winning eight of 10 in 2011 by 4.5 points a game, showed Saturday it can put the pedal down when it needs to.

All this should settle over the next six weeks, with one of the teams (or someone else) emerging, but we're paid to wonder about the chances that it doesn't. Can we begin the playoff now, please?

Some things to consider for these three teams:

• Is it that inconceivable that Florida could win the rest of its regular-season games, lose to Alabama in the SEC title game -- and still be the second-best team nationally behind the Tide, in a different-but-similar replay of Bama and LSU in 2011? It would at least be a team to play for the conference title, but it would again not be a conference champ.

That would be a pure rematch. And the country, outside the South, would melt down.

• A lot has been made of the fact that Oregon and USC would potentially play twice this season. But let's say Oregon wins the first, giving USC two losses. The second game, the Pac-12 title game, would be at Autzen.

The Ducks wouldn't get as much credit for the second win in terms of the BCS as they would for the first, since the Trojans would be knocked down in the polls and computers. That could be important if it really gets down to comparing schedules and résumés.

Oregon State continuing to win could wind up being a big boost for the Ducks.

• A few weeks ago, we were saying that Florida State needed Florida to continue winning to bolster the Seminoles' schedule and national championship hopes. It's sort of the opposite now.

The Gators, because of their previous big wins, don't need the aid as much as an ACC team -- but they could if it does wind up being a comparison of one-loss teams in the end.

FSU scuffling around against Miami didn't really inspire confidence that the Noles can get to the UF game unscathed.

• K-State, the only undefeated team left in the Big 12, is firmly in the driver's seat in the conference. It already has a tiebreak with one of the two one-loss teams, Oklahoma, and it could nail down the other this week when Texas Tech goes to Manhattan.

With a win against the Raiders, the Wildcats would have to lose at least twice against Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor and Texas to hand over the title. Stranger things have happened, but it's hard to fathom with how Snyder coaches his team. K-State appears here to stay.

"Winning a national championship is the goal," Harper said. "We're taking baby steps, but that's the goal."

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
jesse "ugliest bachelor ever" palmer is discussing on cfb live whether oregon or notre dame will be in the title game when they go undefeated

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »
Mods, please rename this to the Master Butthurt Thread. tia

You don't get it. Or I don't  get it.

I'm pretty sure it's you though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
That Stephen a Smith quote is just comically bad.

People on this site frequently misuse the verb trolling.  This is an example where it would be appropriate.  He and Skip get paid to troll everyone & everything.  They don't need to have informed opinions, they just need to be as loud and as outlandish as possible.  Literally one or both of them piss off a group of people everyday.  Today was our day.  There is no doubt that he hasn't watched K-State at all and completely forgot about them when the topic was over.  LOL at thinking Stephen A. Smith watches anything but the NFL & NBA.

I wish I would turn off the TV every time Stephen A. or Skip open their pie holes... but for some reason every time I think "wow, they're talking louder than everyone else, I should listen to them!"

And then after they're done talking... which is after the 5th time they've interrupted somebody that was making an informed and intelligent point... I swear to never listen to either again. :facepalm:

Heck... today somebody had to remind them what the original question they were answering was because they were so far off topic. :curse:

http://m.deadspin.com/5953427/mens-journals-skip-bayless-article-contains-the-saddest-paragraph-in-recent-memory

Smith, who prefers to watch games from courtside so he can chat up players before and after, usually goes on-air without index cards and seems to have done his prep in the cab ride over. Bayless, on the other hand, starts the previous evening and brings a stack of notes to the set. "The debate is often won the night before, beginning with the 6 p.m. SportsCenter," he says. "After that I watch the games and comb box scores for stats, and get up at 5 a.m. and watch a loop of the 2 a.m. SportsCenter." Childless, divorced, and void of outside interests, Bayless' one passion is protecting his record in debates. "I've never lost an argument and don't intend to start, though I'd be happy if our audience thinks Stephen won a day's debate."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:45:16 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »
Joe Schad  :curse:

He has Ohio State at 6 and OU at 15.   :sdeek:

He's going to look real stupid when his #15 beats his #4
Probably will move OU up to 4.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
my biggest butthurt is when people say "alabama is a clear-cut #1"

really?  why?  if we played in a garbage conference, we'd look dominate, also.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
I would like to take this time to point out that one of my favorite things about goEMAW is how rarely, like very very rarely, grammatical and spelling errors are pointed out. Respect.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
I would like to take this time to point out that one of my favorite things about goEMAW is how rarely, like very very rarely, grammatical and spelling errors are pointed out. Respect.

The Ed probably drives closet grammar/spelling nazi's insane.
:dance:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 22, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »

eff you, sundance_kid.  i was in a hurry.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2012, 04:13:45 PM »
jesse "ugliest bachelor ever" palmer is discussing on cfb live whether oregon or notre dame will be in the title game when they go undefeated

Sooners over Domers by 14

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »

eff you, sundance_kid.  i was in a hurry.

hahaha, I wasn't trying to be a dick. It is something I've thought for a long time. Decided I'd mention it today.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »

I was reflecting on this today. Alabama's best win is Michigan. The only reason people thought it was good was because Michigan was ranked #8 at the time. Alabama has beaten 0 teams that are currently ranked.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »

I was reflecting on this today. Alabama's best win is Michigan. The only reason people thought it was good was because Michigan was ranked #8 at the time. Alabama has beaten 0 teams that are currently ranked.

Well, Michigan is ranked 22 right now, but they probably won't be ranked at the end of the year.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »

Well, Michigan is ranked 22 right now, but they probably won't be ranked at the end of the year.

My bad. Alabama is still pillowy soft.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2012, 05:53:30 PM »
none of the sec teams they've played have winning conference records. How a single conference can have so many dogshit teams, I have no idea.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »
No one will ever know if they get 2SEC teams in the final.  We really could use Bill's scheming talents at the conference level.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
Could use a comma between very, very.  :nono:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »

Well, Michigan is ranked 22 right now, but they probably won't will be ranked in the top 16 at the end of the year.

UMich, however bad they might be, is going to win the Legends Division and then play a crappy Purdue or Wiscy (b/c OSU and PSU are ineligible) for the B10 title and likely win. There are too many big10 alum writers who will pimp them and put them in the top 15/10 because of this. Just stating the facts.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »
Alabama started high, has dominated every team so far, and has amazing stats. They have far and away the best defense and their offense is waaaay underrated as well. I'm very excited to see them play the undefeated miss st this weekend. SNOWBRAG loves both teams

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
Alabama started high, has dominated every team so far, and has amazing stats. They have far and away the best defense and their offense is waaaay underrated as well. I'm very excited to see them play the undefeated miss st this weekend. SNOWBRAG loves both teams

Bama - 42
Dogs - 12

Will not be close.

Offline FuzzyWuzzy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »

Well, Michigan is ranked 22 right now, but they probably won't will be ranked in the top 16 at the end of the year.

UMich, however bad they might be, is going to win the Legends Division and then play a crappy Purdue or Wiscy (b/c OSU and PSU are ineligible) for the B10 title and likely win. There are too many big10 alum writers who will pimp them and put them in the top 15/10 because of this. Just stating the facts.

I don't think wins against UM will pan out to be anything to brag about.  They have beat nobody good and looked awful against the only 2 real teams they faced.  Of course, the team UM will be meeting in the big 10 champ., Wisconsin, has also beat nobody. However, Wisky's 2 losses were by 3 points each on the road to solid oregon state and nebraska teams, and they have been playing much better football since.  Meanwhile, UM is squeaking out 2 point victories at home against the Spartans and their Pop Warner Tiny Mites offense.  I'd be surprised if they make it out of Lincoln without a 3rd loss

All in all, I don't think there's a lot to worry about.  good teams will win, bad teams will lose.  enjoy the ride  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:52:02 PM by FuzzyWuzzy »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 23, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/BMOC-102312/bmoc-salutes-texas-tech-red-raiders-heisman-race-jeff-driskel-more

Half the article is about how awesome Droge is and how he is now a legit Heisman candidate.  :curse: