Author Topic: where did the "right" lose its way?  (Read 25570 times)

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: where did the "right" lose its way?
« Reply #225 on: November 07, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »
Plus Fox is really, really, really big

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 07, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/how-conservative-media-lost-to-the-msm-and-failed-the-rank-and-file/264855/

Pretty good deconstruction of the FOX/conservative echo chamber and how it's actively hurting Republican strategy.

We need to realize that Fox news was born out of the ashes that once were unbiased network news organizations. You could easily replace any mention of Fox with NBC and still have an accurate article. True unbiased news and investigative reporting are dead. Information is now relative to the reporters point of view.

NBC hasn't hurt the left

Depends on your point of view.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 07, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/how-conservative-media-lost-to-the-msm-and-failed-the-rank-and-file/264855/

Pretty good deconstruction of the FOX/conservative echo chamber and how it's actively hurting Republican strategy.

We need to realize that Fox news was born out of the ashes that once were unbiased network news organizations. You could easily replace any mention of Fox with NBC and still have an accurate article. True unbiased news and investigative reporting are dead. Information is now relative to the reporters point of view.

NBC hasn't hurt the left

Depends on your point of view.

ok?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
pffttt, when an NBC talking head rallys the viewership to start an entirely new political party that splits the left and buries the democratic party come talk to me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 07, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
It would be kind of funny to have a thread of nothing but dax's "obama is a war-monger" posts.

It wouldn't be funny, and many of the ardent left leaning pundits who actually pay attention agree with and fully support the concept.   Many others agree in principal but can't bring themselves to go all the way with it, letting their political leanings provide a soft landing.

I think it would be funny because it's basically the same post over and over and over with some new adorbs nicknames thrown in.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 07, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »

great read

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 07, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »
just put those posts wherever dax, no biggie

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 07, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »

We need to realize that Fox news was born out of the ashes that once were unbiased network news organizations. You could easily replace any mention of Fox with NBC and still have an accurate article.

If the progressive wing was actively hurting the Democratic party, then your attempt to equivocate the two would be valid. But the progressive wing has been effectively subjugated by center-left politicians since Clinton in the Democratic Party. MSNBC doesn't browbeat liberal politicians into voting for the party line all that effectively in most cases. Fox and others absolutely do.

However,

"True unbiased news and investigative reporting are dead. Information is now relative to the reporters point of view."

This is fairly true. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing (the bias, not the lack of investigative journalism) as long as people are willing to look at other points of view and make their own decisions. The problem is a number of people are far too lazy to do that.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 07, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
I've been listening to conservative radio all day. 42's article is validated

They can't see the problem. They blame everyone but themselves

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 07, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »

I'm failing to see the connection between having a misinformed base and losing an election.  If  anything, wouldn't turnout for the base be greater if they're getting all fired up by FOX News?       

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
where did the "right" lose its way?
« Reply #235 on: November 07, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I think the rallying of the extremist base drove off the moderates is the point

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 07, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »

I'm failing to see the connection between having a misinformed base and losing an election.  If  anything, wouldn't turnout for the base be greater if they're getting all fired up by FOX News?       

no because they're rallying the other base too

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
Yeah, it just fires up a crazy base that most rational people want nothing to do with.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »
Coulter on Hannity now. Whew this is tough to listen to

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »
I don't remember reading that it the article.  I really don't think the two are mutually exclusive either.  I'm also not sure the Democrat base isn't stupid and misinformed as well.   

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2012, 04:19:16 PM »
he's just saying it's a symptom of a denial of reality - which alienates some potential voters.  a symptom, not a cause.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »
I felt like Romney was just a dude who wanted to be president.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »
I think the rallying of the extremist base drove off the moderates is the point

2 questions:

1) Didn't Romney win independents by a large margin?
2) Does this mean that more moderates are registering as Democrats because they are turned off by the extreme right?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 07, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »
1) not that I know of
2) maybe

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »
1) Didn't Romney win independents by a large margin?

Somebody on CNN last night said that independents don't necessarily equal moderates. There are a number of people from both parties (in this case, conservatives) who don't openly identify with the party but had their mind made up on who they would vote for well in advance. He then went on to say that Obama won the moderate vote even though Romney won the "independents."

I have no idea if that line of thought deserves any credence or not, but it was interesting.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
Sure, the extremists at both ends are Indy but not moderate. The entire freakshow tea party is Indy if they don't have tea party to latch onto

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
he's just saying it's a symptom of a denial of reality - which alienates some potential voters.  a symptom, not a cause.

Well, I agree that the points he made don't have a hell of a lot to do with the election.  They're still good points even if he went all FOX News with the election tie-in.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ideals of Conservatism. It is just presented in a horrible light by both Liberals and Conservatives. When you have the Michelle Bachman's and Rick Santorum's of this world giving Republicans a horrible name on one side, and people like Chris Matthews who would accuse a Republican of genocide if he gave a homeless man a meal on the other.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »

john stewart is murdering it on the daily show right now  :lol:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."